* "fio --server" on Windows -> "fio: waitpid: Function not implemented"
@ 2016-12-07 17:16 Olausson, Bjoern
From: Olausson, Bjoern @ 2016-12-07 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio

Hello FIO users,

I have to run some benchmarks on multiple Windows Server 2012 Build
9200 clients.

When I start fio as server on the windows machines everything looks
fine until I commence the benchmark, I get the following output:

PS C:\Program Files\fio> .\fio.exe --server
fio: server listening on 0.0.0.0,8765
fork is not implemented
waitpid is not implemented
fio: waitpid: Function not implemented
waitpid is not implemented
fio: waitpid: Function not implemented

This output continues until I us the processmanager to kill FIO

PS C:\Program Files\fio> .\fio.exe --version
fio-2.15

The benchmark was initiated form a Windows 2012 Build 9200 too:
PS C:\Program Files\fio> .\fio.exe --client=Z:\fio\hostlist-test
Z:\fio\results\test.inp --section=test
fio: client 192.168.2.81, timeout on cmd PROBE
fio: client 192.168.2.81 timed out
PS C:\Program Files\fio>.\fio.exe --version
fio-2.15

Also tested to start the benchmark from Linux system - which would be
the preferred way
[root@server40 ~]# /root/fio-git/fio
--client=/sharedfs/fio/hostlist-test /sharedfs/fio/results/test.inp
--section=test
client: host=192.168.2.81 disconnected
[root@server40 ~]# /root/fio-git/fio --version
fio-2.15

The input file used is:
[global]
ioengine=windowsaio
group_reporting=1
unified_rw_reporting=0
ramp_time=15
norandommap=1
filename_format=fiotest.$filenum
time_based=1
runtime=30s
size=32g
directory=Z\:\fio

[test]
rw=read
fsync=0
direct=0
nrfiles=1
numjobs=1
blocksize=8m

hostlist contains only one client for testing this FIO issue:
[root@server40 ~]# cat /sharedfs/fio/hostlist-test
192.168.2.81

It looks like this behavior is present since 2013
(http://www.spinics.net/lists/fio/msg02564.html "--server broken on
Windows (2.1.1 and 2.0.14)")

I compiled the tatest version from GIT on Windows but it did yield the
same results.

Is there an easy way to fix this or is this feature considered broken
and is not going to be fixed?

Greetings,
Bjoern

* Re: "fio --server" on Windows -> "fio: waitpid: Function not implemented"
@ 2016-12-07 18:32 ` B Cran
From: B Cran @ 2016-12-07 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olausson, Bjoern; +Cc: fio

From what I recall, it's not something that can be fixed, and so will remain broken.

--
Bruce

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2016-12-15 20:29 ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2016-12-15 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olausson, Bjoern; +Cc: fio

On Wed, Dec 07 2016, Olausson, Bjoern wrote:
> Hello FIO users,
>
> I have to run some benchmarks on multiple Windows Server 2012 Build
> 9200 clients.
>
> When I start fio as server on the windows machines everything looks
> fine until I commence the benchmark, I get the following output:
>

> PS C:\Program Files\fio> .\fio.exe --server
> fio: server listening on 0.0.0.0,8765
> fork is not implemented
> waitpid is not implemented
> fio: waitpid: Function not implemented
> waitpid is not implemented
> fio: waitpid: Function not implemented

Windows doesn't support fork(), and the fio server implementation was
written to use processes. It could be made threaded instead and switched
to that, in which case it would work. But it would require a fair amount
of work...

--
Jens Axboe

* "fio --server" on Windows -> "fio: waitpid: Function not implemented"
@ 2016-12-16 14:09   ` contactme
From: contactme @ 2016-12-16 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe; +Cc: fio

Hello Jens,

bad news, but good to know.

Is there any way to run "fio --server" on Windows? Maybe "native" cygwin?
If that would be possible, how would I compile it?

When I run "configure" it automatically detects Windows and tries to
use mingw32 (which I don't want to use)

root@WIN-OJQRIHLM3VR ~/fio/fio-fio-2.15
$ make
FIO_VERSION = fio-2.15
    CC crc/crc64.o
/bin/sh: x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc: command not found
make: *** [Makefile:314: crc/crc64.o] Error 127

root@WIN-OJQRIHLM3VR ~/fio/fio-fio-2.15
$

Cheers,

@ 2016-12-17 16:34     ` Sitsofe Wheeler
From: Sitsofe Wheeler @ 2016-12-17 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: contactme; +Cc: Jens Axboe, fio

On 16 December 2016 at 14:09,  <contactme@olausson.de> wrote:
> Hello Jens,
>
> bad news, but good to know.
>
> Is there any way to run "fio --server" on Windows? Maybe "native" cygwin?
> If that would be possible, how would I compile it?
>
> When I run "configure" it automatically detects Windows and tries to
> use mingw32 (which I don't want to use)
>
> root@WIN-OJQRIHLM3VR ~/fio/fio-fio-2.15
> $ make
> FIO_VERSION = fio-2.15
>     CC crc/crc64.o
> /bin/sh: x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc: command not found
> make: *** [Makefile:314: crc/crc64.o] Error 127

Fixing the configure script to default to a different compiler will
only be the start - you will also need to add code to teach the fio
build about the "cygwin" platform. This will involve multiple changes
such as including different headers, linking against the different
libraries and calling cygwin functions (such as fork) rather than the
current Windows stubs...

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/