* [Buildroot] Upgrading my defconfig
@ 2014-06-10 16:11 Dallas Clement
From: Dallas Clement @ 2014-06-10 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi All,  Would someone kindly guide me through the steps of upgrading my
defconfig?  It's a few years out of date.  I've upgraded the rest of
buildroot itself, and when I try to save my defconfig the makefile
complains bitterly:

$ make savedefconfig
Makefile.legacy:12: *** "You have legacy configuration in your .config!
Please check your configuration.".  Stop.

I tried "make oldconfig" and "make olddefconfig".  Neither seemed to do
anything.

I have attached a copy of my config for your reference.

Thanks,

Dallas
Please ignore.  I was able to figure out how to do this.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Dallas Clement <dallas.a.clement@gmail.com

@ 2014-06-10 19:47 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2014-06-10 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Dallas Clement,

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 11:11:24 -0500, Dallas Clement wrote:
> Hi All,  Would someone kindly guide me through the steps of upgrading my
> defconfig?  It's a few years out of date.  I've upgraded the rest of
> buildroot itself, and when I try to save my defconfig the makefile
> complains bitterly:
>
> $ make savedefconfig
> Makefile.legacy:12: *** "You have legacy configuration in your .config!
> Please check your configuration.".  Stop.

I know you replied to your own e-mail, but for the record: this means
your configuration has old Buildroot options that have been removed
since then. You should therefore run "make menuconfig", and look into
the "Legacy options" submenu to see which old options you're using.
Buildroot wants you to disable them manually so that you're aware of
their disappearance, and you have some help on how to migrate to the
new name of the option if applicable.

We should probably change the error message here to something more
explanatory.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] Upgrading my defconfig
@ 2014-06-10 20:21   ` Dallas Clement
From: Dallas Clement @ 2014-06-10 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Thomas Petazzoni <
thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:

> Dear Dallas Clement,
>
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 11:11:24 -0500, Dallas Clement wrote:
> > Hi All,  Would someone kindly guide me through the steps of upgrading my
> > defconfig?  It's a few years out of date.  I've upgraded the rest of
> > buildroot itself, and when I try to save my defconfig the makefile
> > complains bitterly:
> >
> > $ make savedefconfig
> > Makefile.legacy:12: *** "You have legacy configuration in your .config!
> > Please check your configuration.".  Stop.
>
> I know you replied to your own e-mail, but for the record: this means
> your configuration has old Buildroot options that have been removed
> since then. You should therefore run "make menuconfig", and look into
> the "Legacy options" submenu to see which old options you're using.
> Buildroot wants you to disable them manually so that you're aware of
> their disappearance, and you have some help on how to migrate to the
> new name of the option if applicable.
>
> We should probably change the error message here to something more
> explanatory.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Thomas
> --
> Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
> Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering
> http://free-electrons.com
>

> We should probably change the error message here to something more
> explanatory.

Actually, the "make menuconfig" "Legacy options" were quite helpful in
identifying the legacy options.
My vexing problem was that I had old Config.in and .mk files from other
packages that were referring to
BR2_MYSQL_CLIENT.  And thus it was not enough to just clean up my defconfig
file alone.  I had to
replace those references with BR2_MYSQL and things work swimmingly now.

Thanks for the help.