* [Buildroot] fs skeleton quick rebuild
@ 2012-09-04 17:59 Dallas Clement
From: Dallas Clement @ 2012-09-04 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Greetings:

I'm working on a custom skeleton for my rootfs and wanting to make
changes and test without having to rebuild everything.  Is there an
easy way to do this?

Thanks,

Dallas

* [Buildroot] fs skeleton quick rebuild
@ 2012-09-04 18:03 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2012-09-04 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Le Tue, 4 Sep 2012 12:59:42 -0500,
Dallas Clement <dallas.a.clement@gmail.com> a ?crit :

> I'm working on a custom skeleton for my rootfs and wanting to make
> changes and test without having to rebuild everything.  Is there an
> easy way to do this?

Easiest way is to *not* use the custom skeleton mechanism, but instead
use the post-build script mechanism. See
http://elinux.org/images/2/2a/Using-buildroot-real-project.pdf for more
details.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] fs skeleton quick rebuild
@ 2012-09-04 18:30 ` Stephan Hoffmann
From: Stephan Hoffmann @ 2012-09-04 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Am 04.09.2012 19:59, schrieb Dallas Clement:
> Greetings:
>
> I'm working on a custom skeleton for my rootfs and wanting to make
> changes and test without having to rebuild everything.  Is there an
> easy way to do this?
Hi,

I figured out that
1. remove output/target
2. remove output/build/.root
3. remove all .stamp_target_installed files
give a quite fast, clean rebuild of the root file system.

Hope that helps

Stephan
> Thanks,
>
> Dallas

reLinux     -    Stephan Hoffmann
Am Schmidtgrund 124    50765 K?ln
Tel. +49.221.95595-19    Fax: -64
www.reLinux.de     sho at reLinux.de

* [Buildroot] fs skeleton quick rebuild
@ 2012-09-04 19:28   ` Dallas Clement
From: Dallas Clement @ 2012-09-04 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

That helps tons.  Thanks guys!

@ 2012-09-05 14:59   ` Aras Vaichas
From: Aras Vaichas @ 2012-09-05 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 4 September 2012 19:30, Stephan Hoffmann <sho@relinux.de> wrote:
> Am 04.09.2012 19:59, schrieb Dallas Clement:
>> Greetings:
>>
>> I'm working on a custom skeleton for my rootfs and wanting to make
>> changes and test without having to rebuild everything.  Is there an
>> easy way to do this?
> Hi,
>
> I figured out that
> 1. remove output/target
> 2. remove output/build/.root
> 3. remove all .stamp_target_installed files
> give a quite fast, clean rebuild of the root file system.

I have something similar in a script I call "pre_build_clean.sh"

-- snip --
#/bin/sh
echo pre build cleanup script
echo removing stamps, output/target, output/images,
find -name .stamp_target_installed | xargs rm
rm -rf output/target
rm -rf output/images/*
rm output/build/.root
rm output/stamps/ct-ng-toolchain-installed
echo build your target now. e.g. \"make\" or \"make
linux-reconfigure\" to rebuild the kernel
-- snip --

This is the script I created when I was making lots of skeleton,
configuration and kernel changes; YMMV.

Dallas, be careful doing this because it's easy to make a mistake, and
I know that Thomas doesn't recommend doing partial builds like this.

If you use a custom toolchain, then I highly recommend building an
external toolchain. You can perform a "make clean; make" and it
doesn't take very long.

Aras

* [Buildroot] fs skeleton quick rebuild
@ 2012-09-05 20:37     ` Dallas Clement
From: Dallas Clement @ 2012-09-05 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Aras,

I know it's not recommended, but it sure helps to quickly make changes
and test, especially for an impatient person like me!  ;^)

Here is my script, which is working well.

-- snip --
m -rf target
mkdir -p target/sbin
mkdir -p target/lib
mkdir -p target/usr/lib
cp -a staging/sbin/* target/sbin/
cp -a staging/lib/* target/lib/
cp -a staging/usr/lib/* target/usr/lib/
rm -f build/.root
find . -name ".stamp_target_installed*" -print | xargs rm -f
-- snip --

Thanks,

Dallas