* How to check if one disk is SSD drive?
@ 2012-06-12  5:16 Zhi Yong Wu
       [not found] ` <CAEH94LgYWq3G_dhiGVmZ=b6eW9L8j=rqk4GeARiU7pdGtfoVUA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Zhi Yong Wu @ 2012-06-12  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi

HI,

Can anyone let me know how to check if one disk is SSD drive? which
linux command? any help is appreciated, thanks.

Zhi Yong Wu

* Re: How to check if one disk is SSD drive?
       [not found] ` <CAEH94LgYWq3G_dhiGVmZ=b6eW9L8j=rqk4GeARiU7pdGtfoVUA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-06-12  6:09   ` Liang Guo
       [not found]     ` <CAJwrgW4kzV_vJ7iMfB-n7VTfEp=EKr+TXHdwzOrtT0EMv58dFQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Liang Guo @ 2012-06-12  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhi Yong Wu; +Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Stefan Hajnoczi

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Zhi Yong Wu <zwu.kernel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> HI,
>
> Can anyone let me know how to check if one disk is SSD drive? which
> linux command? any help is appreciated, thanks.

you may use hdparm, eg:

# hdparm -I /dev/sda |grep Media
        Nominal Media Rotation Rate: 7200
# hdparm -I /dev/sdb |grep Media
        Nominal Media Rotation Rate: Solid State Device

--
Liang Guo
http://bluestone.cublog.cn

@ 2012-06-12  9:19       ` Zhi Yong Wu
       [not found]         ` <CAEH94LgQmXAdRvb4jN+quNip0ZxON8VLQaQmyU5bCZfqB7uS3A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Zhi Yong Wu @ 2012-06-12  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liang Guo; +Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Stefan Hajnoczi

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Liang Guo <bluestonechina-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Zhi Yong Wu <zwu.kernel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> HI,
>>
>> Can anyone let me know how to check if one disk is SSD drive? which
>> linux command? any help is appreciated, thanks.
>>
> you may use hdparm, eg:
>
> # hdparm -I /dev/sda |grep Media
>        Nominal Media Rotation Rate: 7200
> # hdparm -I /dev/sdb |grep Media
>        Nominal Media Rotation Rate: Solid State Device
Great, thanks.

By the way, Do you work on bcache?

@ 2012-06-12 10:48           ` Liang Guo
       [not found]             ` <CAJwrgW647uZUDjpEfzRtF+GzNufygJHM_PWXLnZCGWF_3O4YHw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Liang Guo @ 2012-06-12 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhi Yong Wu; +Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Stefan Hajnoczi

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Zhi Yong Wu <zwu.kernel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Great, thanks.
>
> By the way, Do you work on bcache?

I don't use bcache now. To use bcache, I need rebuild the entire kernel.

I use flashcache instead, it can be compiled as a kernel model.

Liang Guo
http://bluestone.cublog.cn

@ 2012-06-12 11:04               ` Zhi Yong Wu
       [not found]                 ` <CAEH94Lg1i36VpM3pZXBbUY0dRkxpvERJ9GZUNTamTGDPvHQH0g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Zhi Yong Wu @ 2012-06-12 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liang Guo; +Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Stefan Hajnoczi

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Liang Guo <bluestonechina-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Zhi Yong Wu <zwu.kernel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Great, thanks.
>>
>> By the way, Do you work on bcache?
>>
> I don't use bcache now. To use bcache, I need rebuild the entire kernel.
>
> I use flashcache instead, it can be compiled as a kernel model.
Sorry, I am bcache newbie, please execute me to ask one more question.

Just search flashcahce, it seems to have similar functions as bcache.
right? If so, what is the difference between flashcache and bcache? If
compared to flashcache, what are bcache's advantage and weakness
separately?

@ 2012-06-12 15:20                   ` Liang Guo
       [not found]                     ` <CAJwrgW4hBO4eVd6jLfpXag7ri_O+Ynn9FM0X1v9CU_mwv78Pxg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Liang Guo @ 2012-06-12 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhi Yong Wu; +Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Stefan Hajnoczi

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Zhi Yong Wu <zwu.kernel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I don't use bcache now. To use bcache, I need rebuild the entire kernel.
>>
>> I use flashcache instead, it can be compiled as a kernel model.
> Sorry, I am bcache newbie, please execute me to ask one more question.
>
> Just search flashcahce, it seems to have similar functions as bcache.
> right? If so, what is the difference between flashcache and bcache? If
> compared to flashcache, what are bcache's advantage and weakness
> separately?

As far as I know, both flashcache and bcache can use ssd as a cache device,
flashcache can be compiled a kernel module, but bcache can only be patched
in the kernel tree and be compiled with the entire kernel. If you are using a
vender provided kernel, compiling as kernel module needs less work then
compiling the entire kernel.

Bcache peoples are working hard to merge bcache into upstream kernel, once
it enters to the upstream kernel, it will become a standard feature. and will be
easy to use.

I have not do performance test. I don't know which one is better for
your situation.

BTW: If you want to use ssd as read cache, zfs[1][2] is a option too.

[1] http://zfs-fuse.net/
[2] http://zfsonlinux.org/

--
Liang Guo
http://bluestone.cublog.cn

@ 2012-06-13  1:38                       ` Zhi Yong Wu
From: Zhi Yong Wu @ 2012-06-13  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liang Guo; +Cc: linux-bcache-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Stefan Hajnoczi

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Liang Guo <bluestonechina-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Zhi Yong Wu <zwu.kernel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> I don't use bcache now. To use bcache, I need rebuild the entire kernel.
>>>
>>> I use flashcache instead, it can be compiled as a kernel model.
>> Sorry, I am bcache newbie, please execute me to ask one more question.
>>
>> Just search flashcahce, it seems to have similar functions as bcache.
>> right? If so, what is the difference between flashcache and bcache? If
>> compared to flashcache, what are bcache's advantage and weakness
>> separately?
>>
> As far as I know, both flashcache and bcache can use ssd as a cache device,
> flashcache can be compiled a kernel module, but bcache can only be patched
> in the kernel tree and be compiled with the entire kernel. If you are using a
> vender provided kernel, compiling as kernel module needs less work then
> compiling the entire kernel.
>
> Bcache peoples are working hard to merge bcache into upstream kernel, once
> it enters to the upstream kernel, it will become a standard feature. and will be
> easy to use.
>
> I have not do performance test. I don't know which one is better for
> your situation.
Great, thanks a lot.

> BTW: If you want to use ssd as read cache, zfs[1][2] is a option too.
>
> [1] http://zfs-fuse.net/
> [2] http://zfsonlinux.org/
>

> --
> Liang Guo