* Processor Comparison
@ 2013-05-10  7:21 Robert Clove
From: Robert Clove @ 2013-05-10  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello All,

I want to some process that too not of Intel.
Does anyone know an site that can help me?
And on what basis should i compare the processor?

Thanks
Rob
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Processor Comparison
@ 2013-05-10  9:05 ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2013-05-10  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Robert Clove <cloverobert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I want to some process that too not of Intel.

not Intel compatible, you meant?

on top of my head, and perhaps very popular now, is ARM based

> Does anyone know an site that can help me?
> And on what basis should i compare the processor?
>
> Thanks
> Rob

regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* Processor Comparison
@ 2013-05-11  2:47   ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2013-05-11  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Mulyadi Santosa <mulyadi.santosa@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Robert Clove <cloverobert@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I want to some process that too not of Intel.
>
>not Intel compatible, you meant?
>
>on top of my head, and perhaps very popular now, is ARM based

I think you are restricted to 4gb with ARM, but that should change soon (or maybe it already has.)

If I was thinking about a ARM based solution for my actual desktop pc, I'd checkout what opensuse is up to.  I think they are leading the pack for linux distros on ARM.

In particular they officially support some ARM systems for the full distro as of there March release of 12.3.  Does any other distro have a full blown officially supported release for ARM based systems?

Below is a very interesting article about the small cluster they are using to build the release.  It also has a bunch of interesting info about ARM based boards.  Note that as of the last couple months they are doing native compiles of the packages for the distro, not cross compiles from a intel/amd system.

http://news.opensuse.org/2013/04/15/about-armv7-progress-and-arming-for-aarch64-and/

Greg