* How does the Xen kernel change the vcpu number of a domain?
@ 2014-06-13  7:19 Bei Guan
From: Bei Guan @ 2014-06-13  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hi All,

I try to figure out that how the command "xl vcpu-set" works. I find out
that the command "xl vcpu-set" calls the method
libxl__set_vcpuonline_xenstore() to set the state of the vcpu in the
Xenstore path /local/domain_id/cpu/vcpu_id/availability. The value of the
key "availability" is set to "online" while the the vcpu number will
increase. When the key is set to "offline" the vcpu number will decrease.

What I want to know is how does the vcpu number increase/decrease according
to the vcpu state in the Xenstore?  How can I find the method that really
does the work?

Any reply is appreciated. Thank you all very much.

--
Best Regards,
Bei Guan

* Re: How does the Xen kernel change the vcpu number of a domain?
@ 2014-06-13  8:59 ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2014-06-13  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bei Guan; +Cc: wei.liu2, xen-devel

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 03:19:08PM +0800, Bei Guan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I try to figure out that how the command "xl vcpu-set" works. I find out
> that the command "xl vcpu-set" calls the method
> libxl__set_vcpuonline_xenstore() to set the state of the vcpu in the
> Xenstore path /local/domain_id/cpu/vcpu_id/availability. The value of the
> key "availability" is set to "online" while the the vcpu number will
> increase. When the key is set to "offline" the vcpu number will decrease.
>
> What I want to know is how does the vcpu number increase/decrease according
> to the vcpu state in the Xenstore?  How can I find the method that really
> does the work?

Linux kernel code drivers/xen/cpu_hotplug.c. It sets up a xenstore watch
for "cpu" xenstore node and handles event accordingly.

Wei.

@ 2014-06-13 14:36   ` Bei Guan
From: Bei Guan @ 2014-06-13 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 03:19:08PM +0800, Bei Guan wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I try to figure out that how the command "xl vcpu-set" works. I find out
> > that the command "xl vcpu-set" calls the method
> > libxl__set_vcpuonline_xenstore() to set the state of the vcpu in the
> > Xenstore path /local/domain_id/cpu/vcpu_id/availability. The value of the
> > key "availability" is set to "online" while the the vcpu number will
> > increase. When the key is set to "offline" the vcpu number will decrease.
> >
> > What I want to know is how does the vcpu number increase/decrease
> according
> > to the vcpu state in the Xenstore?  How can I find the method that really
> > does the work?
> >

> Linux kernel code drivers/xen/cpu_hotplug.c. It sets up a xenstore watch
> for "cpu" xenstore node and handles event accordingly.
>
> Thank you very much for your reply.
I'm using Xen-4.1.2. I also find that the Xen code
tools/ioemu-qemu-xen/xenstore.c sets a Xenstore watch for
/loca/domain/domid/cpu. It handles the watch event in the method
xenstore_procees_vcpu_set_event(char **vec). So, what's difference between
the two Xenstore watch in the Linux kernel and qemu-xen? Is the Xenstore
watch in qemu-xen for HVM domains that are without PV drivers?

Thank you very much.

@ 2014-06-16  9:12     ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2014-06-16  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bei Guan; +Cc: Wei Liu, xen-devel

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 10:36:25PM +0800, Bei Guan wrote:

> > On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 03:19:08PM +0800, Bei Guan wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I try to figure out that how the command "xl vcpu-set" works. I find out
> > > that the command "xl vcpu-set" calls the method
> > > libxl__set_vcpuonline_xenstore() to set the state of the vcpu in the
> > > Xenstore path /local/domain_id/cpu/vcpu_id/availability. The value of the
> > > key "availability" is set to "online" while the the vcpu number will
> > > increase. When the key is set to "offline" the vcpu number will decrease.
> > >
> > > What I want to know is how does the vcpu number increase/decrease
> > according
> > > to the vcpu state in the Xenstore?  How can I find the method that really
> > > does the work?
> > >

> > Linux kernel code drivers/xen/cpu_hotplug.c. It sets up a xenstore watch
> > for "cpu" xenstore node and handles event accordingly.
> >
> > Thank you very much for your reply.
> I'm using Xen-4.1.2. I also find that the Xen code
> tools/ioemu-qemu-xen/xenstore.c sets a Xenstore watch for
> /loca/domain/domid/cpu. It handles the watch event in the method
> xenstore_procees_vcpu_set_event(char **vec). So, what's difference between
> the two Xenstore watch in the Linux kernel and qemu-xen? Is the Xenstore
> watch in qemu-xen for HVM domains that are without PV drivers?

I suspect that has something to do with HVM domain. But I'm not at all
familiar with qemu-trad so it's up to you to find out. :-/

Wei.