* Re: Regarding LFX Mentorship
       [not found] <CAEQwXtjwRjYQuRot5DzSzz=s_j_tCwv+Mt8=u4zmeGqNKWOphQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-07-17  7:55 ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2021-07-17  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ashutosh Sharma; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 9:28 AM Ashutosh Sharma
<b18010@students.iitmandi.ac.in> wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>
> I am Ashutosh Sharma currently a senior studying Computer Science and Engineering at Indian Institute of Technology Mandi, India. Sir, I got to know about the Linux Kernel: Mining for Maintainers project from the LFX Mentorship Program website. I am really excited about the project. I have applied for the project on the website. Now, I am writing this email to you regarding the mentee tasks.
> Sir, I have been an intern at Amazon where I worked on AWS,  Java and React. Other than that I have also worked as a student developer in Google Summer of Code 2020 under The Mifos Initiative organisation. Currently, I am looking for more opportunities to challenge myself and learn new skills.
> Hoping for a positive response from your side.

Please always CC linux-kernel-mentees@lists.linuxfoundation.org.

Thanks for your interest.

For the mentee selection, please work on the following exercise:

First, download the kernel git repository and compile the kernel with
the x86-defconfig build configuration.

There is a file called MAINTAINERS in the root directory of the git
repository. Read the introduction at the beginning of the MAINTAINERS
file and understand the content in the file and its organisation.

Explain in your words: What is stored in the MAINTAINERS file?

Now, search for specific MAINTAINER entries; Please answer: Who are
the maintainers and reviewers of the following sections?

ACPI PMIC DRIVERS
ADF7242 IEEE 802.15.4 RADIO DRIVER
AFFS FILE SYSTEM
DOCUMENTATION REPORTING ISSUES
MEDIA INPUT INFRASTRUCTURE (V4L/DVB)
P54 WIRELESS DRIVER
SCTP PROTOCOL
SOUND - DMAENGINE HELPERS
USB "USBNET" DRIVER FRAMEWORK
VIRTIO FILE SYSTEM

Please let me know about your answers and always send your responses
to the linux-kernel-mentees mailing list.

After that first exercise, exercises 2 and 3 will follow.

Lukas

* Re: Regarding LFX Mentorship
@ 2021-07-17  8:36   ` Ashutosh Sharma
From: Ashutosh Sharma @ 2021-07-17  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

The Maintainers file contains the best practices to follow after making a
patch to the repository. It talks about testing that when we make changes
we should make these changes available to the community so that they can
provide their valuable feedback. The Maintainers file also talks about the
whom should we contact regarding a particular driver or security concern
and what security concerns should be made publicly available and what
concerns should be reported to the security team.

The maintainers list contains the list of the drivers and their respective
maintainers, reviewers, mailing lists and status etc.

Maintainers and Reviewers of drivers in the mentee tasks:

   1.

   ACPI PMIC DRIVERS

Maintainers:

   1.

   Rafael J. Wysock" <rjw@rjwysocki.net>
   2.

   Len Brown <lenb@kernel.org>

Reviewers:

   1.

   Andy Shevchenko <andy@kernel.org>
   2.

   Mika Westerberg <mika.westerberg@linux.intel.com>

      2. ADF7242 IEEE 802.15.4 RADIO DRIVER

Maintainer: Michael Hennerich <michael.hennerich@analog.com>

      3. AFFS FILE SYSTEM

Maintainer: David Sterba <dsterba@suse.com>

      4. DOCUMENTATION REPORTING ISSUES

            Maintainer: Thorsten Leemhuis <linux@leemhuis.info>

      5. MEDIA INPUT INFRASTRUCTURE (V4L/DVB)

            Maintainer: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@kernel.org>

      6. P54 WIRELESS DRIVER

            Maintainer: Christian Lamparter <chunkeey@googlemail.com>

      7. SCTP PROTOCOL

            Maintainers:

   1.

   Vlad Yasevich <vyasevich@gmail.com>
   2.

   Neil Horman <nhorman@tuxdriver.com>
   3.

   Marcelo Ricardo Leitner <marcelo.leitner@gmail.com>

       8. SOUND - DMAENGINE HELPERS

              Maintainer: Lars-Peter Clausen <lars@metafoo.de>

       9.. USB "USBNET" DRIVER FRAMEWORK

              Maintainer: Oliver Neukum <oneukum@suse.com>

       10. VIRTIO FILE SYSTEM

            Maintainers:

   1.

   Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@redhat.com>
   2.

   Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com>
   3.

   Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu>

I have attached a pdf file for your reference as well.
Thanks and Regards
Ashutosh Sharma

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 1:25 PM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 9:28 AM Ashutosh Sharma
> <b18010@students.iitmandi.ac.in> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Sir,
> >
> > I am Ashutosh Sharma currently a senior studying Computer Science and
> Engineering at Indian Institute of Technology Mandi, India. Sir, I got to
> know about the Linux Kernel: Mining for Maintainers project from the LFX
> Mentorship Program website. I am really excited about the project. I have
> applied for the project on the website. Now, I am writing this email to you
> regarding the mentee tasks.
> > Sir, I have been an intern at Amazon where I worked on AWS,  Java and
> React. Other than that I have also worked as a student developer in Google
> Summer of Code 2020 under The Mifos Initiative organisation. Currently, I
> am looking for more opportunities to challenge myself and learn new skills.
> > Hoping for a positive response from your side.
> >

> Please always CC linux-kernel-mentees@lists.linuxfoundation.org.
>
> Thanks for your interest.
>
> For the mentee selection, please work on the following exercise:
>
> First, download the kernel git repository and compile the kernel with
> the x86-defconfig build configuration.
>
> There is a file called MAINTAINERS in the root directory of the git
> repository. Read the introduction at the beginning of the MAINTAINERS
> file and understand the content in the file and its organisation.
>
> Explain in your words: What is stored in the MAINTAINERS file?
>
> Now, search for specific MAINTAINER entries; Please answer: Who are
> the maintainers and reviewers of the following sections?
>
> ACPI PMIC DRIVERS
> ADF7242 IEEE 802.15.4 RADIO DRIVER
> AFFS FILE SYSTEM
> DOCUMENTATION REPORTING ISSUES
> MEDIA INPUT INFRASTRUCTURE (V4L/DVB)
> P54 WIRELESS DRIVER
> SCTP PROTOCOL
> SOUND - DMAENGINE HELPERS
> USB "USBNET" DRIVER FRAMEWORK
> VIRTIO FILE SYSTEM
>

> Please let me know about your answers and always send your responses
> to the linux-kernel-mentees mailing list.
>
> After that first exercise, exercises 2 and 3 will follow.
>

> Lukas

[-- Attachment #2: ashutosh_mentee_task_1.pdf --]

* Re: Regarding LFX Mentorship
@ 2021-07-18  6:12 ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2021-07-18  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shiv14112001; +Cc: Dwaipayan Ray, linux-kernel-mentees

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 7:44 AM shiv14112001@gmail.com
<shiv14112001@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am Aviral Gupta an aspiring mentee and I am interested in the Checkpatch Documentation mentorship program and I would like to work on the tasks for the mentee selection.

Thanks for your interest.

The zeroth task is to learn suitable netiquette for the communication with
the kernel community. Below are some basic rules and pointers for this
mentorship. More information on kernel netiquette is also at
https://people.kernel.org/tglx/notes-about-netiquette.

First, please do not top-post.

    A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    A: The lost context.
    Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

    A: Yes.
    Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm replying?

Second, please always CC: linux-kernel-mentees@lists.linuxfoundation.org.

Third, set up your email client according to the kernel community rules.

Here is some information to that:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submitting-patches.html#no-mime-no-links-no-compression-no-attachments-just-plain-text
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/email-clients.html

Generally more information on submitting patches and responding on
replies is at https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submitting-patches.html

Once the zeroth task is understood, you can now move on to the first
task: Running checkpatch on a specific file

Get a clone of the Linux kernel repository. The script checkpatch.pl
is under the scripts directory.

Then, the first task is to run checkpatch.pl on a few files below and
share the results:

lib/vsprintf.c
tools/perf/arch/arm/util/dwarf-regs.c

Which information on these rules that checkpatch warns about is
available in the Checkpatch Documentation?
If documentation of these rules is available, explain your
understanding of the rules in your own words.
If no information is available in the documentation, explain your
understanding of the rule.

In any case, explain the violation that is checked and raised in the
checkpatch script, i.e., what is implemented in checkpatch to check
the rule and possible violations.

Explain how to possibly fix this code with regards to that violation.

Once you succeed on this first task, we inform you about the further
second and third task.

If you fail on any of those tasks, you are out of the selection process.

The selection of the mentee will happen according to schedule, at
earliest on August 12th and at latest at the end of August. More
information is available at
https://docs.linuxfoundation.org/lfx/mentorship/mentorship-program-timelines.

Good luck.

Lukas

* Regarding LFX Mentorship
@ 2021-07-18  5:45 shiv14112001
From: shiv14112001 @ 2021-07-18  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dwaipayan Ray, Lukas Bulwahn; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

* Re: Regarding LFX Mentorship
@ 2021-07-18  4:26 ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2021-07-18  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aliya Rahmani; +Cc: Dwaipayan Ray, linux-kernel-mentees

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 8:01 PM Aliya Rahmani <aliyarahmani786@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>   I'm Aliya, an aspiring mentee and a passionate developer. I am
interested in the Checkpatch Documentation mentorship program and I would
like to work on the tasks for the mentee selection.
>  Kindly provide me the details of the task for the mentee selection
process.

Thanks for your interest.

The zeroth task is to learn suitable netiquette for the communication with

the kernel community. Below are some basic rules and pointers for this
mentorship. More information on kernel netiquette is also at
https://people.kernel.org/tglx/notes-about-netiquette.

First, please do not top-post.

    A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    A: The lost context.
    Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

    A: Yes.
[...]

kernel/watch_queue.c
drivers/edac/amd64_edac.c

[...]

.