* qemu icicle kit es
@ 2023-01-11 14:21 stage TC
From: stage TC @ 2023-01-11 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-riscv

Hello,
Sorry in advance if this is not the right way to do it but I'm a student
and not very used to this kind of stuff (first mailing list).
I'm trying to run qemu for the Microchip PolarFire SoC Icicle kit but I'm
facing a few issues and the wiki page about that seems obsolete.
I follow almost exactly what the wiki does (except I use a terminal as a
tty instead of the socket bc it didn't work) but my HSS won't boot on
versions more recent than 2020.10 or 0.99.12.
However I can't find any image compatible for versions older than 2020.10
or 0.99.12 (mines hang at "starting kernel ...".
Is there any newer version of the tutorial ? Or does anyone have an idea on
how to deal with this issue and use qemu for newer versions of the HSS ?

Thanks for your help.

* Re: qemu icicle kit es
@ 2023-01-11 16:40 ` Conor Dooley
From: Conor Dooley @ 2023-01-11 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stage TC; +Cc: qemu-riscv

On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 03:21:26PM +0100, stage TC wrote:
> Hello,
> Sorry in advance if this is not the right way to do it but I'm a student
> and not very used to this kind of stuff (first mailing list).

Don't worry, you are doing fine :)

> I'm trying to run qemu for the Microchip PolarFire SoC Icicle kit but I'm
> facing a few issues and the wiki page about that seems obsolete.

I must admit, it's a long time since I tried to use a v2020.x release of
any MPFS software. Last time I did give the steps in the docs a go,
with a suitably vintage version of QEMU, things worked as expected.
However, using more recent versions of QEMU I ran into some problems
with the sd/mmc emulation & never get into U-Boot.

> I follow almost exactly what the wiki does (except I use a terminal as a
> tty instead of the socket bc it didn't work) but my HSS won't boot on
> versions more recent than 2020.10 or 0.99.12.

What does "my HSS won't boot" mean? E.g:
- Does the MICROCHIP logo banner appear (if it existed back then!)?
  If it didnt, the version string I think was.
- Does the HSS console appear?
- Does it fail to launch the next bootloader stage?

> However I can't find any image compatible for versions older than 2020.10
> or 0.99.12 (mines hang at "starting kernel ...".

By that do you mean you cannot find a pre-built yocto image? I am not
sure that there are any that pre-date the one linked in the wiki that
are still available, as those on GitHub only go back as far as v2021.02

> Is there any newer version of the tutorial ? Or does anyone have an idea on
> how to deal with this issue and use qemu for newer versions of the HSS ?

I do my testing with something like:
$(QEMU)/qemu-system-riscv64 \
	-M microchip-icicle-kit \
	-m 2G -smp 5 \
	-kernel $(vmlinux_bin) \
	-dtb $(devkit).dtb \
	-initrd $(initramfs) \
	-display none \
	-serial null \
	-serial stdio

This loads a kernel directly rather than using the HSS - for recent
versions of the HSS, implementations of some peripherals need to be
added, for example, it checks things like the cache configuration
during boot, which are not emulated in QEMU.

For that reason, I've stuck with doing direct kernel boots. Linux
v6.0.18 (and the associated devicetree) is the most recent combination
that I have booted unmodified using the master branch of QEMU using
this method.

More recent (linux) kernels come with a device tree that will require
changes in QEMU to support & I have unfortunately not had the time
to work on that recently.

Sorry that I am really of no help to you.

Conor.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: qemu icicle kit es
@ 2023-01-12  9:52   ` stage TC
From: stage TC @ 2023-01-12  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Conor Dooley; +Cc: qemu-riscv

Le mer. 11 janv. 2023 à 17:40, Conor Dooley <conor@kernel.org> a écrit :
>On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 03:21:26PM +0100, stage TC wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Sorry in advance if this is not the right way to do it but I'm a student
>> and not very used to this kind of stuff (first mailing list).

>Don't worry, you are doing fine :)

>> I'm trying to run qemu for the Microchip PolarFire SoC Icicle kit but I'm
>> facing a few issues and the wiki page about that seems obsolete.

>I must admit, it's a long time since I tried to use a v2020.x release of
>any MPFS software. Last time I did give the steps in the docs a go,
>with a suitably vintage version of QEMU, things worked as expected.
>However, using more recent versions of QEMU I ran into some problems
>with the sd/mmc emulation & never get into U-Boot.

I was using qemu 7.1 and then came back to qemu 5.2 to try using the same
version as the wiki, does the version of qemu have an impact ?
Should I use a more recent one ?

>> I follow almost exactly what the wiki does (except I use a terminal as a
>> tty instead of the socket bc it didn't work) but my HSS won't boot on
>> versions more recent than 2020.10 or 0.99.12.

>What does "my HSS won't boot" mean? E.g:
>- Does the MICROCHIP logo banner appear (if it existed back then!)?
>   If it didnt, the version string I think was.
>- Does the HSS console appear?
>- Does it fail to launch the next bootloader stage?

With the 0.99.12 and the v2021.02 image the MICROCHIP logo banner appears
with the HSS console and the next bootloader stage seems to launch
correctly (see the logs in the attachment).
With the 0.99.15 the MICROCHIP logo banner appears but the HSS console is
stuck at "Selecting SD Card ..."
With a more recent one nothing appends.

>> However I can't find any image compatible for versions older than 2020.10
>> or 0.99.12 (mines hang at "starting kernel ...".

>By that do you mean you cannot find a pre-built yocto image? I am not
>sure that there are any that pre-date the one linked in the wiki that
>are still available, as those on GitHub only go back as far as v2021.02

Yes, that is what I was talking about. The link in the wiki is obsolete and
the v2021.2 (the only one left with an sdcard specific version) looks to
have been tested on HSS 0.99.15.

>> Is there any newer version of the tutorial ? Or does anyone have an idea
on
>> how to deal with this issue and use qemu for newer versions of the HSS ?

>I do my testing with something like:
>$(QEMU)/qemu-system-riscv64 \
>        -M microchip-icicle-kit \
>        -m 2G -smp 5 \
>        -kernel $(vmlinux_bin) \
>        -dtb $(devkit).dtb \
>        -initrd $(initramfs) \
>        -display none \
>        -serial null \
>        -serial stdio

>This loads a kernel directly rather than using the HSS - for recent
>versions of the HSS, implementations of some peripherals need to be
>added, for example, it checks things like the cache configuration
>during boot, which are not emulated in QEMU.

>For that reason, I've stuck with doing direct kernel boots. Linux
>v6.0.18 (and the associated devicetree) is the most recent combination
>that I have booted unmodified using the master branch of QEMU using
>this method.

Thanks, I will try to study and use this method, it may be useful.

>More recent (linux) kernels come with a device tree that will require
>changes in QEMU to support & I have unfortunately not had the time
>to work on that recently.
>Sorry that I am really of no help to you.

It helps me at least to know that this is not just something easy that I'm
not able to do for no reason. Thanks.

>Conor.

Islem

* Re: qemu icicle kit es
@ 2023-01-12 18:03     ` Conor Dooley
From: Conor Dooley @ 2023-01-12 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stage TC; +Cc: qemu-riscv, Bin Meng

+CC Bin Meng

On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 10:52:39AM +0100, stage TC wrote:
> Le mer. 11 janv. 2023 à 17:40, Conor Dooley <conor@kernel.org> a écrit :
> >On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 03:21:26PM +0100, stage TC wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >> Sorry in advance if this is not the right way to do it but I'm a student
> >> and not very used to this kind of stuff (first mailing list).
>
> >Don't worry, you are doing fine :)

One thing to note, this mail appears to be in html form. I am not sure
what the QEMU mailing lists stance on html mail is, but on other lists
it is frowned upon.
Just an FYI if you end up using other mailing lists in the future.

> >> I'm trying to run qemu for the Microchip PolarFire SoC Icicle kit but I'm
> >> facing a few issues and the wiki page about that seems obsolete.
>
> >I must admit, it's a long time since I tried to use a v2020.x release of
> >any MPFS software. Last time I did give the steps in the docs a go,
> >with a suitably vintage version of QEMU, things worked as expected.
> >However, using more recent versions of QEMU I ran into some problems
> >with the sd/mmc emulation & never get into U-Boot.
>
> I was using qemu 7.1 and then came back to qemu 5.2 to try using the same
> version as the wiki, does the version of qemu have an impact ?

In theory, it shouldn't. I was just suggesting that you use the version
in the Wiki as it had obviously been tested at some point in time.

> Should I use a more recent one ?

Ideally yes, but, like you, I wasn't able to get the example to boot on
recent versions. We had some patches internally that supposedly got
things working for later versions of QEMU but I never got them to work
unfortunately.

Bin Meng, you're listed as a supporter (in master anyway) but is that
still accurate? I figure there's a good chance it isn't anymore?
Have you tested the platform from HSS init at all lately?

> >> I follow almost exactly what the wiki does (except I use a terminal as a
> >> tty instead of the socket bc it didn't work) but my HSS won't boot on
> >> versions more recent than 2020.10 or 0.99.12.
>
> >What does "my HSS won't boot" mean? E.g:
> >- Does the MICROCHIP logo banner appear (if it existed back then!)?
> >   If it didnt, the version string I think was.
> >- Does the HSS console appear?
> >- Does it fail to launch the next bootloader stage?
>
> With the 0.99.12 and the v2021.02 image the MICROCHIP logo banner appears
> with the HSS console and the next bootloader stage seems to launch
> correctly (see the logs in the attachment).

There is no attachment :(

> With the 0.99.15 the MICROCHIP logo banner appears but the HSS console is
> stuck at "Selecting SD Card ..."
> With a more recent one nothing appends.

Right. I think this one is because a change was made to the FPGA
bitstream around this time so that the eMMC and SD card are muxxed using
a register in the FPGA fabric rather than a GPIO.

Which version of QEMU is this? I can try and see if the emulation is
missing (or broken). That sort of thing I do have time for (anything I
do for QEMU is in my spare time).

> >> However I can't find any image compatible for versions older than 2020.10
> >> or 0.99.12 (mines hang at "starting kernel ...".
>
> >By that do you mean you cannot find a pre-built yocto image? I am not
> >sure that there are any that pre-date the one linked in the wiki that
> >are still available, as those on GitHub only go back as far as v2021.02
>
> Yes, that is what I was talking about. The link in the wiki is obsolete and
> the v2021.2 (the only one left with an sdcard specific version) looks to
> have been tested on HSS 0.99.15.

I'm not sure if there's much point trying an older version of the image
than that that was mentioned in the wiki anyway.

Because it's an FPGA, changes can (*and have been*) be made to the
bitstream that made it incompatible with the emulation of the SoC in
QEMU - memory layout, etc - so I'd likely not suggest using newer
versions either!

> >> Is there any newer version of the tutorial ? Or does anyone have an idea
> on
> >> how to deal with this issue and use qemu for newer versions of the HSS ?
>
> >I do my testing with something like:
> >$(QEMU)/qemu-system-riscv64 \
> >        -M microchip-icicle-kit \
> >        -m 2G -smp 5 \
> >        -kernel $(vmlinux_bin) \
> >        -dtb $(devkit).dtb \
> >        -initrd $(initramfs) \
> >        -display none \
> >        -serial null \
> >        -serial stdio
>
> >This loads a kernel directly rather than using the HSS - for recent
> >versions of the HSS, implementations of some peripherals need to be
> >added, for example, it checks things like the cache configuration
> >during boot, which are not emulated in QEMU.
>
> >For that reason, I've stuck with doing direct kernel boots. Linux
> >v6.0.18 (and the associated devicetree) is the most recent combination
> >that I have booted unmodified using the master branch of QEMU using
> >this method.
>
> Thanks, I will try to study and use this method, it may be useful.
>
> >More recent (linux) kernels come with a device tree that will require
> >changes in QEMU to support & I have unfortunately not had the time
> >to work on that recently.
> >Sorry that I am really of no help to you.
>
> It helps me at least to know that this is not just something easy that I'm
> not able to do for no reason. Thanks.

Yeah, I am sorry :/

Conor.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: qemu icicle kit es
@ 2023-01-13  0:35       ` Bin Meng
From: Bin Meng @ 2023-01-13  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Conor Dooley; +Cc: stage TC, qemu-riscv

On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 2:03 AM Conor Dooley <conor@kernel.org> wrote:

> +CC Bin Meng
>
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 10:52:39AM +0100, stage TC wrote:
> >
> > >Don't worry, you are doing fine :)
>
> One thing to note, this mail appears to be in html form. I am not sure
> what the QEMU mailing lists stance on html mail is, but on other lists
> it is frowned upon.
> Just an FYI if you end up using other mailing lists in the future.

> > >I must admit, it's a long time since I tried to use a v2020.x release of
> > >any MPFS software. Last time I did give the steps in the docs a go,
> > >with a suitably vintage version of QEMU, things worked as expected.
> > >However, using more recent versions of QEMU I ran into some problems
> > >with the sd/mmc emulation & never get into U-Boot.
> >
> > I was using qemu 7.1 and then came back to qemu 5.2 to try using the same
> > version as the wiki, does the version of qemu have an impact ?
>
> In theory, it shouldn't. I was just suggesting that you use the version
> in the Wiki as it had obviously been tested at some point in time.
>
> > Should I use a more recent one ?
>
> Ideally yes, but, like you, I wasn't able to get the example to boot on
> recent versions. We had some patches internally that supposedly got
> things working for later versions of QEMU but I never got them to work
> unfortunately.
>
> Bin Meng, you're listed as a supporter (in master anyway) but is that
> still accurate? I figure there's a good chance it isn't anymore?
> Have you tested the platform from HSS init at all lately?

Yes, I am still maintaining the QEMU PolarFire SoC. The WiKi page
listed the exact HSS version I tested and if it doesn't, it should be
a regression in QEMU. If yes, I would like to have a look at that.

Running more recent HSS is known to break, because QEMU does not
follow up quite closely with the HSS implementation as HSS has evolved
quite quickly in the past.

> [...]
> >
> > >This loads a kernel directly rather than using the HSS - for recent
> > >versions of the HSS, implementations of some peripherals need to be
> > >added, for example, it checks things like the cache configuration
> > >during boot, which are not emulated in QEMU.
> >
> > >For that reason, I've stuck with doing direct kernel boots. Linux
> > >v6.0.18 (and the associated devicetree) is the most recent combination
> > >that I have booted unmodified using the master branch of QEMU using
> > >this method.
> >
> > Thanks, I will try to study and use this method, it may be useful.
> >
> > >More recent (linux) kernels come with a device tree that will require
> > >changes in QEMU to support & I have unfortunately not had the time
> > >to work on that recently.
> > >Sorry that I am really of no help to you.
> >
> > It helps me at least to know that this is not just something easy that I'm

Regards,
Bin

* Re: qemu icicle kit es
@ 2023-01-13 12:56         ` Conor Dooley
From: Conor Dooley @ 2023-01-13 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bin Meng; +Cc: stage TC, qemu-riscv

On 13 January 2023 00:35:11 GMT, Bin Meng <bmeng.cn@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 2:03 AM Conor Dooley <conor@kernel.org> wrote:
>>
>> +CC Bin Meng
>>

>> Bin Meng, you're listed as a supporter (in master anyway) but is that
>> still accurate? I figure there's a good chance it isn't anymore?
>> Have you tested the platform from HSS init at all lately?
>
>Yes, I am still maintaining the QEMU PolarFire SoC. The WiKi page
>listed the exact HSS version I tested and if it doesn't, it should be
>a regression in QEMU. If yes, I would like to have a look at that.

That'd be great.
I submitted a few patches for fixing the direct kernel boot & hopefully haven't broken anything!
I'll try to test it also, if I get some time.

>Running more recent HSS is known to break, because QEMU does not
>follow up quite closely with the HSS implementation as HSS has evolved
>quite quickly in the past.

Yeah, although the rate of change has slowed down now.
I think there's a decent but of emulation missing though to get a recent version of the HSS working.

Thanks,
Conor.

* Re: qemu icicle kit es
@ 2023-01-14 14:30           ` Conor Dooley
From: Conor Dooley @ 2023-01-14 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bin Meng; +Cc: stage TC, qemu-riscv

On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 12:56:57PM +0000, Conor Dooley wrote:

> On 13 January 2023 00:35:11 GMT, Bin Meng <bmeng.cn@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 2:03 AM Conor Dooley <conor@kernel.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> +CC Bin Meng
> >>

> >> Bin Meng, you're listed as a supporter (in master anyway) but is that
> >> still accurate? I figure there's a good chance it isn't anymore?
> >> Have you tested the platform from HSS init at all lately?
> >
> >Yes, I am still maintaining the QEMU PolarFire SoC. The WiKi page
> >listed the exact HSS version I tested and if it doesn't, it should be
> >a regression in QEMU. If yes, I would like to have a look at that.
>
> That'd be great.
> I submitted a few patches for fixing the direct kernel boot & hopefully
> haven't broken anything!
> I'll try to test it also, if I get some time.

Gave 7.2.0 a go yesterday afternoon.
The URL from the documentation is no longer accessible, I cannot wget
the image! I'll try and find out what happened there, AFAIU that FTP is
still in use, so dunno why that file doesn't seem to be there.
I'll try to find out.

I dug out the commit from the docs for the HSS, built that. Generated a
payload using the nearest payload generator commit to that was
compilable, which I passed as the image instead of the wic.

The HSS would load, get as far as trying to extract the payload
containing the next stage bootloader & fail. Specifically, it was
complaining that the magic number for the payload was all zeros.

Perhaps if you still have the original wic image you'll have more luck!

Thanks,
Conor.

| qemu-system-riscv64 -M microchip-icicle-kit -smp 5 \
|     -bios path/to/hss.bin -sd path/to/sdcard.img \
|     -nic user,model=cadence_gem \
|     -nic tap,ifname=tap,model=cadence_gem,script=no \
|     -display none -serial stdio \
|     -chardev socket,id=serial1,path=serial1.sock,server=on,wait=on \
|     -serial chardev:serial1

btw, I built my QEMU with `./configure --target-list=riscv64-softmmu &&
make`, and got a complaint from the above command that user mode NICs
were not present in my QEMU.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: qemu icicle kit es
@ 2023-01-19  5:45             ` Bin Meng
From: Bin Meng @ 2023-01-19  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Conor Dooley; +Cc: stage TC, qemu-riscv

Hi Conor,

On Sat, Jan 14, 2023 at 10:30 PM Conor Dooley <conor@kernel.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 12:56:57PM +0000, Conor Dooley wrote:

> > >Yes, I am still maintaining the QEMU PolarFire SoC. The WiKi page
> > >listed the exact HSS version I tested and if it doesn't, it should be
> > >a regression in QEMU. If yes, I would like to have a look at that.
> >
> > That'd be great.
> > I submitted a few patches for fixing the direct kernel boot & hopefully
> > haven't broken anything!
> > I'll try to test it also, if I get some time.
>
> Gave 7.2.0 a go yesterday afternoon.
> The URL from the documentation is no longer accessible, I cannot wget
> the image! I'll try and find out what happened there, AFAIU that FTP is
> still in use, so dunno why that file doesn't seem to be there.
> I'll try to find out.
>
> I dug out the commit from the docs for the HSS, built that. Generated a
> payload using the nearest payload generator commit to that was
> compilable, which I passed as the image instead of the wic.
>
> The HSS would load, get as far as trying to extract the payload
> containing the next stage bootloader & fail. Specifically, it was
> complaining that the magic number for the payload was all zeros.
>
> Perhaps if you still have the original wic image you'll have more luck!
>
> Thanks,
> Conor.
>
> | qemu-system-riscv64 -M microchip-icicle-kit -smp 5 \
> |     -bios path/to/hss.bin -sd path/to/sdcard.img \
> |     -nic user,model=cadence_gem \
> |     -nic tap,ifname=tap,model=cadence_gem,script=no \
> |     -display none -serial stdio \
> |     -chardev socket,id=serial1,path=serial1.sock,server=on,wait=on \
> |     -serial chardev:serial1
>
> btw, I built my QEMU with `./configure --target-list=riscv64-softmmu &&
> make`, and got a complaint from the above command that user mode NICs
> were not present in my QEMU.

The user mode NICs issue is because since QEMU 7.2, libslirp
dependency was changed to an external build host dependency, so you
need to manually install via something like "apt install libslirq-dev"
in Ubuntu.

Regards,
Bin

* Re: qemu icicle kit es