* [U-Boot] U-boot Minnowmax Turbot SPI flash time
@ 2016-06-17  7:55 vinoth eswaran
From: vinoth eswaran @ 2016-06-17  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello Mr.Bin,

 In the file minnowmax_defconfig for SPI flash I am seeing many
configurations getting enabled,

CONFIG_SPI_FLASH=y
CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_GIGADEVICE=y
CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_MACRONIX=y
CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_STMICRO=y
CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_WINBOND=y

Do we need all the configurations and also I have seen a patch
regarding this but not included in the mainline,

http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2015-November/235822.html

For Minnowmax Turbot , can I use only the following configuration?
CONFIG_SPI_FLASH=y
CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_STMICRO=y

Mit Freundlichen Gr??en
VinothKumar
+49 1798909072

* [U-Boot] U-boot Minnowmax Turbot SPI flash time
@ 2016-06-17  8:10 ` Bin Meng
From: Bin Meng @ 2016-06-17  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

+Simon, Jagan,

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 3:55 PM, vinoth eswaran <evinoth1206@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Mr.Bin,
>
>  In the file minnowmax_defconfig for SPI flash I am seeing many
> configurations getting enabled,
>
> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH=y
> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_GIGADEVICE=y
> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_MACRONIX=y
> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_STMICRO=y
> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_WINBOND=y
>
> Do we need all the configurations and also I have seen a patch
> regarding this but not included in the mainline,
>
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2015-November/235822.html
>
> For Minnowmax Turbot , can I use only the following configuration?
> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH=y
> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_STMICRO=y

Sure.

As for SPI flash config macro clean-up, I am inclined remove unneeded
one, but Jagan may have the new spi-nor framework that simplify these
SPI flash macros.

Jagan, when do you plan to have the new spi-nor framework ready in mainline?

Regards,
Bin

* [U-Boot] U-boot Minnowmax Turbot SPI flash time
@ 2016-06-17  8:53   ` vinoth eswaran
From: vinoth eswaran @ 2016-06-17  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Bin Meng <bmeng.cn@gmail.com> wrote:
> +Simon, Jagan,
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 3:55 PM, vinoth eswaran <evinoth1206@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Mr.Bin,
>>
>>  In the file minnowmax_defconfig for SPI flash I am seeing many
>> configurations getting enabled,
>>
>> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH=y
>> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_GIGADEVICE=y
>> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_MACRONIX=y
>> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_STMICRO=y
>> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_WINBOND=y
>>
>> Do we need all the configurations and also I have seen a patch
>> regarding this but not included in the mainline,
>>
>> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2015-November/235822.html
>>
>> For Minnowmax Turbot , can I use only the following configuration?
>> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH=y
>> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_STMICRO=y
>>

> Sure.

I am using SPI Hook to flash the u-boot.rom. In the SPI Hook log , I
am seeing that the flash driver is Winbond and not STMICRO,

flashrom v0.9.8-r1888 on Linux 3.11.0-26-generic (x86_64)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OK.
Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q64.V" (8192 kB, SPI) on ft2232_spi.

Then I should enable CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_WINBOND and not
CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_STMICRO right??

@ 2016-06-17  9:00     ` Bin Meng
From: Bin Meng @ 2016-06-17  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 4:53 PM, vinoth eswaran <evinoth1206@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Bin Meng <bmeng.cn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +Simon, Jagan,
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 3:55 PM, vinoth eswaran <evinoth1206@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello Mr.Bin,
>>>
>>>  In the file minnowmax_defconfig for SPI flash I am seeing many
>>> configurations getting enabled,
>>>
>>> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH=y
>>> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_GIGADEVICE=y
>>> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_MACRONIX=y
>>> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_STMICRO=y
>>> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_WINBOND=y
>>>
>>> Do we need all the configurations and also I have seen a patch
>>> regarding this but not included in the mainline,
>>>
>>> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2015-November/235822.html
>>>
>>> For Minnowmax Turbot , can I use only the following configuration?
>>> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH=y
>>> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_STMICRO=y
>>>

>> Sure.
>>

> I am using SPI Hook to flash the u-boot.rom. In the SPI Hook log , I
> am seeing that the flash driver is Winbond and not STMICRO,
>
> flashrom v0.9.8-r1888 on Linux 3.11.0-26-generic (x86_64)
> flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org
>
> Calibrating delay loop... OK.
> Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q64.V" (8192 kB, SPI) on ft2232_spi.
>
> Then I should enable CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_WINBOND and not
> CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_STMICRO right??

No. It is a STMicro flash, not WinBond.

[snip]

Regards,