* [U-Boot] installing u-boot on a virtual x86 machine
@ 2015-04-24  7:20 Francesco Lucconi
From: Francesco Lucconi @ 2015-04-24  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

I'm Francesco Lucconi from Italy, and I'm involved into a x86 project where
my issue is to compile a u-boot (I'm currently using uboot-2015.01) and to
install it into a VID (virtual image disk) of virtualbox.

I've already tuned the MBR, registering two FAT16 partitions, one for
u-boot and the other one for future kernel uImage and firmware development.
In this moment I figured out that I've installed correctly the MBR cause I
can see on the display strings I've applied on the MBR source code but it
seems that u-boot.bin code doesn't run correctly, the system hangs out....
Could you give me any tips I didn't notice before?

* [U-Boot] installing u-boot on a virtual x86 machine
@ 2015-04-24 20:24 ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2015-04-24 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Francesco,

On 24 April 2015 at 01:20, Francesco Lucconi <luccons@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm Francesco Lucconi from Italy, and I'm involved into a x86 project where
> my issue is to compile a u-boot (I'm currently using uboot-2015.01) and to
> install it into a VID (virtual image disk) of virtualbox.
>

> I've already tuned the MBR, registering two FAT16 partitions, one for
> u-boot and the other one for future kernel uImage and firmware development.
> In this moment I figured out that I've installed correctly the MBR cause I
> can see on the display strings I've applied on the MBR source code but it
> seems that u-boot.bin code doesn't run correctly, the system hangs out....
> Could you give me any tips I didn't notice before?

Which board configuration are you booting with?

Are you using u-boot-dtb.bin?

Do you get any serial console output?

Regards,
Simon

* [U-Boot] installing u-boot on a virtual x86 machine
@ 2015-04-24 23:04 ` Bin Meng
From: Bin Meng @ 2015-04-24 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Francesco,

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Francesco Lucconi <luccons@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm Francesco Lucconi from Italy, and I'm involved into a x86 project where
> my issue is to compile a u-boot (I'm currently using uboot-2015.01) and to
> install it into a VID (virtual image disk) of virtualbox.
>

> I've already tuned the MBR, registering two FAT16 partitions, one for
> u-boot and the other one for future kernel uImage and firmware development.
> In this moment I figured out that I've installed correctly the MBR cause I
> can see on the display strings I've applied on the MBR source code but it
> seems that u-boot.bin code doesn't run correctly, the system hangs out....
> Could you give me any tips I didn't notice before?

Could you elaborate more on what BIOS is being used, and what MBR
codes is that? Is it grub?

Regards,
Bin

* [U-Boot] installing u-boot on a virtual x86 machine
@ 2015-04-27  6:56   ` Francesco Lucconi
From: Francesco Lucconi @ 2015-04-27  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

> Hi Francesco,
>
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Francesco Lucconi <luccons@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm Francesco Lucconi from Italy, and I'm involved into a x86 project
> where
> > my issue is to compile a u-boot (I'm currently using uboot-2015.01) and
> > install it into a VID (virtual image disk) of virtualbox.
> >

> > I've already tuned the MBR, registering two FAT16 partitions, one for
> > u-boot and the other one for future kernel uImage and firmware
> development.
> > In this moment I figured out that I've installed correctly the MBR cause
> > can see on the display strings I've applied on the MBR source code but it
> > seems that u-boot.bin code doesn't run correctly, the system hangs
> out....
> > Could you give me any tips I didn't notice before?
>
> Could you elaborate more on what BIOS is being used, and what MBR
> codes is that? Is it grub?

Regards,
> Bin

@Simon Glass: About u-boot I'm using coreboot_x86 config, and with
u-boot.srec I noticed that I received several prints of startup ( like this
"......................" ) but later the virtual machine hangs up.

@Bin Meng: I'm using BIOS embedded of Virtualbox platform and I've
customized the 512 bytes MBR data with several debug prints and with the
partitions table based on the features of my FAT16 partitions.

Regards,
Francesco

* [U-Boot] installing u-boot on a virtual x86 machine
@ 2015-04-27 15:50     ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2015-04-27 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Francesco,

On 27 April 2015 at 00:56, Francesco Lucconi <luccons@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi Francesco,
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Francesco Lucconi <luccons@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I'm Francesco Lucconi from Italy, and I'm involved into a x86 project
>> > where
>> > my issue is to compile a u-boot (I'm currently using uboot-2015.01) and
>> > install it into a VID (virtual image disk) of virtualbox.
>> >

>> > I've already tuned the MBR, registering two FAT16 partitions, one for
>> > u-boot and the other one for future kernel uImage and firmware
>> > development.
>> > In this moment I figured out that I've installed correctly the MBR cause
>> > can see on the display strings I've applied on the MBR source code but
>> > it
>> > seems that u-boot.bin code doesn't run correctly, the system hangs
>> > out....
>> > Could you give me any tips I didn't notice before?
>>
>> Could you elaborate more on what BIOS is being used, and what MBR
>> codes is that? Is it grub?
>>

>> Regards,
>> Bin
>

> @Simon Glass: About u-boot I'm using coreboot_x86 config, and with
> u-boot.srec I noticed that I received several prints of startup ( like this
> "......................" ) but later the virtual machine hangs up.

Did you follow the instruction sin README.x86? Can you provide console output?

> @Bin Meng: I'm using BIOS embedded of Virtualbox platform and I've
> customized the 512 bytes MBR data with several debug prints and with the
> partitions table based on the features of my FAT16 partitions.
>
> Regards,
> Francesco

Regards,
Simon

* [U-Boot] installing u-boot on a virtual x86 machine
@ 2015-04-28  8:23       ` Francesco Lucconi
From: Francesco Lucconi @ 2015-04-28  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Yes, I've readed the README.x86 document provided from uboot, I've created
my u-boot-dtb.bin following the rules of coreboot-x86 recipe.
I suppose I have to apply several tunings since I'm working with a PC with
i7-2600 Intel Core CPU, right?
Here you have the screenshots of some starting phases on virtualbox
platform (I've attached the files even if I think they don't give many
information).

@ 2015-04-28  8:25         ` Bin Meng
From: Bin Meng @ 2015-04-28  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Francesco,

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 4:23 PM, Francesco Lucconi <luccons@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I've readed the README.x86 document provided from uboot, I've created
> my u-boot-dtb.bin following the rules of coreboot-x86 recipe.
> I suppose I have to apply several tunings since I'm working with a PC with
> i7-2600 Intel Core CPU, right?
> Here you have the screenshots of some starting phases on virtualbox platform
> (I've attached the files even if I think they don't give many information).

Looks like the 'error' message is printed by the MBR loader codes. Can
you point us the source of the MBR?

>> Hi Francesco,

>> > @Simon Glass: About u-boot I'm using coreboot_x86 config, and with
>> > u-boot.srec I noticed that I received several prints of startup ( like
>> > this
>> > "......................" ) but later the virtual machine hangs up.
>>
>> Did you follow the instruction sin README.x86? Can you provide console
>> output?
>> >
>> > @Bin Meng: I'm using BIOS embedded of Virtualbox platform and I've
>> > customized the 512 bytes MBR data with several debug prints and with the
>> > partitions table based on the features of my FAT16 partitions.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Francesco

Regards,
Bin

* [U-Boot] installing u-boot on a virtual x86 machine
@ 2015-04-28  8:40           ` Francesco Lucconi
From: Francesco Lucconi @ 2015-04-28  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Here you have the 512 bytes of MBR within the Virtual Disk Image (VID) of
virtualbox. As you can notice there's not clearly the string "Error!"
mentioned on previous screenshot.
About MBR building to ease the procedure, I've created the MBR code
automatically with PartitionGuru application...

@ 2015-04-28 10:45             ` Bin Meng
From: Bin Meng @ 2015-04-28 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Francesco,

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Francesco Lucconi <luccons@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here you have the 512 bytes of MBR within the Virtual Disk Image (VID) of
> virtualbox. As you can notice there's not clearly the string "Error!"
> mentioned on previous screenshot.
> About MBR building to ease the procedure, I've created the MBR code
> automatically with PartitionGuru application...

Could you please provide detailed setup instructions (like how you
generated the u-boot binary, how you setup the virtual machine and
MBR, etc), so that I can have a try in my environment?

And please stop top posting.

>> Hi Francesco,
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 4:23 PM, Francesco Lucconi <luccons@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Yes, I've readed the README.x86 document provided from uboot, I've
>> > created
>> > my u-boot-dtb.bin following the rules of coreboot-x86 recipe.
>> > I suppose I have to apply several tunings since I'm working with a PC
>> > with
>> > i7-2600 Intel Core CPU, right?
>> > Here you have the screenshots of some starting phases on virtualbox
>> > platform
>> > (I've attached the files even if I think they don't give many
>> > information).
>> >

>> Looks like the 'error' message is printed by the MBR loader codes. Can
>> you point us the source of the MBR?

Regards,
Bin

* [U-Boot] installing u-boot on a virtual x86 machine
@ 2015-04-28 11:05               ` Francesco Lucconi
From: Francesco Lucconi @ 2015-04-28 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

> Hi Francesco,
>
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Francesco Lucconi <luccons@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Here you have the 512 bytes of MBR within the Virtual Disk Image (VID) of
> > virtualbox. As you can notice there's not clearly the string "Error!"
> > mentioned on previous screenshot.
> > About MBR building to ease the procedure, I've created the MBR code
> > automatically with PartitionGuru application...
> >

> Could you please provide detailed setup instructions (like how you
> generated the u-boot binary, how you setup the virtual machine and
> MBR, etc), so that I can have a try in my environment?
>
> And please stop top posting.

U-boot setup:

1. cd uboot-2015.01/
2. CROSS_COMPILE=/path_to_my_i386_toolchain/i386-linux-uclibc- make
ARCH=x86 coreboot-x86_defconfig u-boot-dtb.bin

Virtualbox setup:

1. I've created a VID disk with size 64 MB with virtualbox
2. I've created a unique FAT16 primary partition and automatically the 512
MBR bytes content with PartitionGuru application, and I've loaded
u-boot-dtb.bin within its content
3. I've created a VM machine (type: Other, version: Other/Unknown) and I've
registered the VID disk as its storage disk managed by the SCSI controller

I'm confident that MBR data has been created coherently with virtual disk
geometry because earlier I have formatted the FAT16 partition and I've
installed a test tool; after this MBR loads it without any error, this
proofs that the partitions table has been filled correctly.