* Need help in converting trace data into CTF
@ 2019-05-16  5:42 Ravindra Kumar Meena
From: Ravindra Kumar Meena @ 2019-05-16  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lttng-dev

Hi LTTng developers,

I have been selected at GSoC 2019 with organization RTEMs. My project is
https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3696

The objective of the project is to convert the trace data into CTF. The
trace data is already generated by the system. All that is left is to
convert the trace data into CTF. I am interested in CTF because I want to
send it to trace compass for analysis.

Any idea how can I achieve this?

--
*Ravindra Kumar Meena*,
B. Tech. Computer Science and Engineering,

* Re: Need help in converting trace data into CTF
       [not found]                               ` <CAEWVvORDgrb2RwFpfj6vDzctSwgHCwONmmJhDXMYPiYZcd8eQA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-07-03 15:24                                 ` Ravindra Kumar Meena
From: Ravindra Kumar Meena @ 2019-07-03 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi developers,

I have multiple binary stream files. Each event stream file contains the
events of the same structure. Each file is for a particular CPU. There is a
total of 32 event stream files.

How to tell the consumers of the streams which file is for which CPU?

Thanks

--

       [not found]                             ` <CAEWVvOT=geq4KRmmiQWHNF8mDqrF4H3RVt04pcMkmx1bmTCpig@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-06-24 16:41                               ` Ravindra Kumar Meena
       [not found]                               ` <CAEWVvORDgrb2RwFpfj6vDzctSwgHCwONmmJhDXMYPiYZcd8eQA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ravindra Kumar Meena @ 2019-06-24 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien; +Cc: lttng-dev

Since the magic number is optional, is it possible to create metadata and
stream file that does not use the CTF magic number and can be parsed by the
babeltrace?

--

       [not found]                           ` <20190619171057.GB32505@joraj-alpa>
@ 2019-06-20 16:41                             ` Ravindra Kumar Meena
       [not found]                             ` <CAEWVvOT=geq4KRmmiQWHNF8mDqrF4H3RVt04pcMkmx1bmTCpig@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ravindra Kumar Meena @ 2019-06-20 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien; +Cc: lttng-dev

> >  I want to make babeltrace read my metadata file and event stream stored
> in
> > a file. How does babeltrace read an arbitrary CTF session(CTF+event
> stream)?
>
> Babeltrace traverses the tree and look for files named "metadata"
> . All files at the same depth of a metadata file are considered CTF
> streams.
>
> e.g:
>    /tmp/
>        my-trace/
>            another_dir/
>                abcd
>                efgh
>                metadata
>
> babeltrace /tmp/my-trace/
>
> The files "abcd" and "efgh" will be considered stream files and babeltrace
> will
> try to read them.
>
> You can have hidden file (".abcd") at the same depth, they will not be
> considered.
>

> > What should be the file format to store the event stream? I will use
> > fwrite() to store the events.
>
> The CTF format.
>
> Okay. This worked for me. Thanks :)

Now I know how to write the metadata file but one thing I am not sure that
how should I relate the TSDL description of metadata with my system events?

Like I have this in my system:

typedef struct ctf_event {
  uint64_t                     ns;
  uint32_t                     cpu;
  rtems_record_event           event;
  uint64_t                     data;
} ctf_event;

How should I relate it with TSDL description of metadata? It should match
with the TSDL description. Isn't it?

Thanks

--

       [not found]                         ` <CAEWVvOS-Xe_q7BuPiV7LEJ0Cx96tjsydYALvytvrzg-D+8TYhg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-06-19 17:10                           ` Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
       [not found]                           ` <20190619171057.GB32505@joraj-alpa>
From: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien @ 2019-06-19 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ravindra Kumar Meena; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi,

>  I want to make babeltrace read my metadata file and event stream stored in
> a file. How does babeltrace read an arbitrary CTF session(CTF+event stream)?

Babeltrace traverses the tree and look for files named "metadata"
. All files at the same depth of a metadata file are considered CTF streams.

e.g:
   /tmp/
       my-trace/
           another_dir/
               abcd
               efgh
               metadata

babeltrace /tmp/my-trace/

The files "abcd" and "efgh" will be considered stream files and babeltrace will
try to read them.

You can have hidden file (".abcd") at the same depth, they will not be
considered.

> What should be the file format to store the event stream? I will use
> fwrite() to store the events.

The CTF format.

Cheers

--
Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
EfficiOS

* Re: Need help in converting trace data into CTF
       [not found]                       ` <20190618141714.GC7208@joraj-alpa>
@ 2019-06-19 16:04                         ` Ravindra Kumar Meena
       [not found]                         ` <CAEWVvOS-Xe_q7BuPiV7LEJ0Cx96tjsydYALvytvrzg-D+8TYhg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ravindra Kumar Meena @ 2019-06-19 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien; +Cc: lttng-dev

> > I used "barectf config.yaml -m ctf" command. It helpled me generating the
> > metadata file. I looked at some other metadata file but they are binary
> > packetized. The one I generated using barectf is not binary packetized.
> >
> > Are these file different?
>
> Yes, they are. As you said one is packetized and the other simply text.
>
> > Will both work the same way?
>
> It will work the same as long as you use a reader that does not care.
> AFAIK, Babeltrace is one of those readers.

Okay. This was helpful.

I will be storing the event stream in a file and I will pass metadata file
to babeltrace in order to read the CTF.

       [not found]                     ` <CAEWVvOSXKF=Ey_edFSFp=CqUDHyhoB_iZQEdTHwcwwYNM3LpJg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-06-18 14:17                       ` Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
       [not found]                       ` <20190618141714.GC7208@joraj-alpa>
From: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien @ 2019-06-18 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ravindra Kumar Meena; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi,

       [not found]                   ` <20190617165154.GA7208@joraj-alpa>
@ 2019-06-18 13:25                     ` Ravindra Kumar Meena
       [not found]                     ` <CAEWVvOSXKF=Ey_edFSFp=CqUDHyhoB_iZQEdTHwcwwYNM3LpJg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ravindra Kumar Meena @ 2019-06-18 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien; +Cc: lttng-dev

> > I am trying to write a metadata file. I am following
> https://diamon.org/ctf/.
> > I found one metadata file on GitHub repository
> >
> https://github.com/efficios/epiphany-examples/tree/barectf-tracing/apps/barectf-tracing/ctf
> >
> >  Which file format is used for the metadata files?
>
> Babeltrace understand text based metadata file as long as it conforms to
> the TSDL
> grammar.
>
> See:
>     https://diamon.org/ctf/#spec7
>     https://diamon.org/ctf/#spec7.4
>     https://diamon.org/ctf/#specC

Okay. I was following the above links to writing my own metadata file.

--

@ 2019-06-17 17:04                     ` Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
       [not found]                     ` <CAEWVvOSXKF=Ey_edFSFp=CqUDHyhoB_iZQEdTHwcwwYNM3LpJg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien @ 2019-06-17 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ravindra Kumar Meena; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi,

Note that if you plan on using Babeltrace 2 plugin system, the metadata file
will be generated based on the trace representation given by the source plugin.

See [1] for an example of this.

[1] http://git.efficios.com/?p=babeltrace.git;a=blob;f=src/plugins/text/dmesg/dmesg.c;h=7ed01cdc2f4dcdf64f88541884d26b8787df4760#l122

Cheers

--
Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
EfficiOS

* Re: Need help in converting trace data into CTF
       [not found]                 ` <CAEWVvOR0wv2Du2KNCZE0dpNAhMaFh7JvDFG0FOQ8uWyTBpSoOw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-06-17 16:51                   ` Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
       [not found]                   ` <20190617165154.GA7208@joraj-alpa>
From: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien @ 2019-06-17 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ravindra Kumar Meena; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi,

       [not found]               ` <CAEWVvORHWTQLe_uhw2M+aT6tEjgdz3emfxEUosbo+bMsqdN=QA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-06-17 15:55                 ` Ravindra Kumar Meena
       [not found]                 ` <CAEWVvOR0wv2Du2KNCZE0dpNAhMaFh7JvDFG0FOQ8uWyTBpSoOw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ravindra Kumar Meena @ 2019-06-17 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi developers,

       [not found]             ` <20190604145312.GB13240@joraj-alpa>
@ 2019-06-13 10:29               ` Ravindra Kumar Meena
       [not found]               ` <CAEWVvORHWTQLe_uhw2M+aT6tEjgdz3emfxEUosbo+bMsqdN=QA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ravindra Kumar Meena @ 2019-06-13 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien; +Cc: lttng-dev

> > See this dmesg source plugin for a base example of a source plugin [1].
> This is
> > valid for babeltrace 2.0 only (AKA the current master branch of
> babeltrace)
> >
> > For a more complete example of a source plugin,  you can take a look at
> the one for
> > ctf [2]. Once a source plugin is done you will be able to reuse all the
> current
> > infrastructure of babeltrace to output to ctf (ctf.sink).
> >
> > There is no magic solution here, you will need to write a decoder (source
> > plugin) for your format.
> >
> > [1]
> https://github.com/efficios/babeltrace/tree/master/plugins/text/dmesg
>
> For all the people coming here from the future:
>
> [1]
> http://git.efficios.com/?p=babeltrace.git;a=tree;f=plugins/text/dmesg;h=a45918aaf266dac29db6f7a0e4d08ffdb056131a
>
> > [2]
> https://github.com/efficios/babeltrace/tree/master/plugins/ctf/fs-src
>
> [2]
> http://git.efficios.com/?p=babeltrace.git;a=tree;f=plugins/ctf/fs-sink;h=b96b435706cac0ed50cb64918603172b67afc424

Thanks for sharing the links. I have cloned the babeltrace master branch
and installed all the dependencies required. The build was successful.

How should I use decoder(source plugin) example[1]? I mean I can see the
code and change it but how should I use it?

[1]
https://github.com/efficios/babeltrace/tree/master/src/plugins/ctf/fs-src

Thanks
--

       [not found]           ` <20190604143917.GA13240@joraj-alpa>
@ 2019-06-04 14:53             ` Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
       [not found]             ` <20190604145312.GB13240@joraj-alpa>
From: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien @ 2019-06-04 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ravindra Kumar Meena; +Cc: lttng-dev

       [not found]         ` <CAEWVvOSorZyz=JOaf-7go-EyZxcmiOzcVbnUpb7crdKM_SVejA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-06-04 14:39           ` Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
       [not found]           ` <20190604143917.GA13240@joraj-alpa>
From: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien @ 2019-06-04 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ravindra Kumar Meena; +Cc: lttng-dev

HI Ravindra,

On Tue, Jun 04, 2019 at 12:02:08PM +0530, Ravindra Kumar Meena wrote:
> Hi developers,
>
> I have been selected at GSoC 2019. This is my project
> https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3696.
>
> The objective of the project is to convert the current trace data into CTF.
> After discussion with you all, I have managed to store the current trace
> data into the disk. Now I have to convert it to CTF.
>
> I have attached the stored current trace data file. Please find it in the
> attachment.
>
> I used "nc 169.254.12.97 1234 > rtems_record.out" command to store the
> current trace data. Here 169.254.12.97 is IP address of QEMU target and
> 1234 is port of QEMU target.
>
> Any idea how I can convert it to CTF?

This was already discussed with you.

https://lists.lttng.org/pipermail/lttng-dev/2019-May/028946.html

You will have to write a decoder (source plugin) for whatever is produced as a
trace output.

       [not found]       ` <CAEWVvOSdmSsfGiN2fd7yAO6m5-Ke=GuamNR6jKYCLRnSym9Hcw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-06-04  6:32         ` Ravindra Kumar Meena
       [not found]         ` <CAEWVvOSorZyz=JOaf-7go-EyZxcmiOzcVbnUpb7crdKM_SVejA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ravindra Kumar Meena @ 2019-06-04  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers; +Cc: lttng-dev

wrote:

> With babeltrace 1.5.x: No.
>>

> Okay
>

>> With babeltrace master branch (currently in -pre stage before 2.0): Yes.
>>
> Okay. That's great!!
> Are there examples available on it?
>
> Can the conversion be done directly via command-line?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> *Ravindra Kumar Meena*,
> B. Tech. Computer Science and Engineering,
> Indian Institute of Technology (Indian School of Mines)
> <https://www.iitism.ac.in/>, Dhanbad

--
*Ravindra Kumar Meena*,
B. Tech. Computer Science and Engineering,
Indian Institute of Technology (Indian School of Mines)
<https://www.iitism.ac.in/>, Dhanbad

[-- Attachment #2: rtems_record.out --]

* Re: Need help in converting trace data into CTF
       [not found]     ` <1448366760.18406.1559146893765.JavaMail.zimbra@efficios.com>
@ 2019-05-29 16:28       ` Ravindra Kumar Meena
       [not found]       ` <CAEWVvOSdmSsfGiN2fd7yAO6m5-Ke=GuamNR6jKYCLRnSym9Hcw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ravindra Kumar Meena @ 2019-05-29 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers; +Cc: lttng-dev

       [not found]   ` <CAEWVvOS6WyAkE+5GAyn_WEoFW_6h_fWbze-im0w7oqvXS-+dBw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-05-29 16:21     ` Mathieu Desnoyers
       [not found]     ` <1448366760.18406.1559146893765.JavaMail.zimbra@efficios.com>
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2019-05-29 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ravindra Kumar Meena; +Cc: lttng-dev

----- On May 29, 2019, at 12:19 PM, Ravindra Kumar Meena <rmeena840@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 12:22 AM Mathieu Desnoyers < [
> mailto:mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com | mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com ] >
> wrote:

>> ----- On May 16, 2019, at 1:42 AM, Ravindra Kumar Meena [
>> mailto:rmeena840@gmail.com | rmeena840@gmail.com ] wrote:

>> > Hi LTTng developers,
>> > I have been selected at GSoC 2019 with organization RTEMs. My project is [
>>> [ https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3696 | https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3696 ] |
>> > [ https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3696 | https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3696 ] ]

>> > The objective of the project is to convert the trace data into CTF. The trace
>> > data is already generated by the system. All that is left is to convert the
>> > trace data into CTF. I am interested in CTF because I want to send it to trace
>> > compass for analysis.

>> > Any idea how can I achieve this?

>> If you intend to produce CTF traces natively from the target, you will want to
>> look into the barectf project [1].

>> However, if your goal is to do a post-processing phase to convert traces from
>> some existing format to CTF, you will want to look into the Babeltrace project
>> [2]
>> master branch which is in preparation for Babeltrace 2.0. The approach here
>> would be to create a Babeltrace 2 source plugin which reads your trace format
>> into
>> the Babeltrace 2 intermediate representation by using the APIs exposed to
>> plugins by Babeltrace 2. Babeltrace 2 has a generic CTF sink which can serialize
>> the resulting trace intermediate representation into CTF.

>> Thanks,

>> Mathieu

>> [1] [ https://github.com/efficios/barectf | https://github.com/efficios/barectf
>> ]
>> [2] [ https://diamon.org/babeltrace/ | https://diamon.org/babeltrace/ ]

> Thanks, Mathieu for the approach. I am trying to use the babeltrace and I read
> its documentation and but I nowhere found the examples of conversion from one
> format to CTF.

> The examples would make it more clear.

> Is it possible to convert the live trace stream into CTF stream with the current
> babeltrace?

With babeltrace 1.5.x: No.

--
Mathieu Desnoyers
EfficiOS Inc.

* Re: Need help in converting trace data into CTF
       [not found] ` <72388180.2647.1558032721255.JavaMail.zimbra@efficios.com>
@ 2019-05-29 16:19   ` Ravindra Kumar Meena
       [not found]   ` <CAEWVvOS6WyAkE+5GAyn_WEoFW_6h_fWbze-im0w7oqvXS-+dBw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ravindra Kumar Meena @ 2019-05-29 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers; +Cc: lttng-dev

       [not found] <CAEWVvOSE6QJQvQEdTLEhNQTE7H1Py1ggoqynSj3w-uOYBkTMCQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-05-16 18:52 ` Mathieu Desnoyers
       [not found] ` <72388180.2647.1558032721255.JavaMail.zimbra@efficios.com>
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2019-05-16 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ravindra Kumar Meena; +Cc: lttng-dev

----- On May 16, 2019, at 1:42 AM, Ravindra Kumar Meena rmeena840@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi LTTng developers,
> I have been selected at GSoC 2019 with organization RTEMs. My project is [
> https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3696 | https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3696 ]

> The objective of the project is to convert the trace data into CTF. The trace
> data is already generated by the system. All that is left is to convert the
> trace data into CTF. I am interested in CTF because I want to send it to trace
> compass for analysis.

> Any idea how can I achieve this?

If you intend to produce CTF traces natively from the target, you will want to
look into the barectf project [1].

However, if your goal is to do a post-processing phase to convert traces from
some existing format to CTF, you will want to look into the Babeltrace project [2]
master branch which is in preparation for Babeltrace 2.0. The approach here
would be to create a Babeltrace 2 source plugin which reads your trace format into
the Babeltrace 2 intermediate representation by using the APIs exposed to
plugins by Babeltrace 2. Babeltrace 2 has a generic CTF sink which can serialize
the resulting trace intermediate representation into CTF.

Thanks,

Mathieu

[1] https://github.com/efficios/barectf
[2] https://diamon.org/babeltrace/

> --
> Ravindra Kumar Meena ,
> B. Tech. Computer Science and Engineering,
> [ https://www.iitism.ac.in/ | Indian Institute of Technology (Indian School of
> Mines) ] , Dhanbad

Mathieu Desnoyers
EfficiOS Inc.