* Nouveau on a Jetson TK1 problems
@ 2016-10-17  3:11 ben
       [not found] ` <e880adbd-fe20-cb09-5da8-5a5775908557-Og7d35KcFB1bTxZzi51Fyw@public.gmane.org>
From: ben @ 2016-10-17  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

I hope this is a good mailing list for this problem. I have a Jetson TK1
board and I am trying to get the nouveau drivers running on it without
success. I am using the following:

Nouveau linux kernel 4.8.0-rc4+
Nouveau DRM git master
xf86-video-nouveau git master
Gnurou xserver  git branch GK20A

My base system is Debian.

When I try to start X I get:  X: drmmode_display.c:783:
drmmode_crtc_init: Assertion `ret == 0' failed. There is also a kernel
log message: [drm] Cannot find any crtc or sizes - going 1024x768

lsmod shows:
Module                  Size  Used by
joydev                  8960  0
hid_generic              932  0
usbhid                 42969  0
hid                    90757  2 hid_generic,usbhid
appletalk              27202  0
psnap                   1978  1 appletalk
llc                     3563  1 psnap
binfmt_misc             9178  1
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     37746  1
snd_soc_tegra_rt5640     4216  0
snd_soc_tegra_utils     2889  1 snd_soc_tegra_rt5640
snd_soc_rt5640         62110  0
snd_soc_rl6231          2511  1 snd_soc_rt5640
evdev                  11716  1
snd_hda_tegra           5908  0
snd_hda_codec          96043  2 snd_hda_tegra,snd_hda_codec_hdmi
snd_soc_core          143271  2 snd_soc_tegra_rt5640,snd_soc_rt5640
snd_pcm_dmaengine       3583  1 snd_soc_core
snd_hda_core           50512  3
snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_tegra,snd_hda_codec_hdmi
snd_hwdep               5791  1 snd_hda_codec
sg                     22195  0
snd_pcm                78758  7
snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_tegra,snd_pcm_dmaengine,snd_hda_core,snd_soc_rt56
40,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_soc_core
at24                    7649  0
snd_timer              19445  1 snd_pcm
snd                    54289  7
snd_hwdep,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_tegra,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_
soc_core,snd_pcm
nouveau              1480941  0
soundcore               5296  1 snd
nvmem_core              9000  1 at24
r8169                  78839  0
tegra_drm             142308  1
mii                     4102  1 r8169
ttm                    73683  1 nouveau
drm_kms_helper        116351  2 tegra_drm,nouveau
drm                   271485  5 tegra_drm,nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper
host1x                 93529  1 tegra_drm
tegra_devfreq           5887  0
ip_tables              11849  0
x_tables               14736  1 ip_tables
autofs4                32367  2
ext4                  530902  2
crc16                   1274  1 ext4
jbd2                   89878  1 ext4
mbcache                 5316  3 ext4
sd_mod                 32603  3
ehci_tegra              6102  0
ahci_tegra              3707  2
libahci_platform        6430  1 ahci_tegra
libahci                22993  2 libahci_platform,ahci_tegra
ehci_hcd               65351  1 ehci_tegra
libata                189497  3 libahci_platform,libahci,ahci_tegra
usbcore               195295  3 ehci_tegra,usbhid,ehci_hcd
phy_tegra_usb           8841  3 ehci_tegra
usb_common              3659  2 phy_tegra_usb,usbcore
sdhci_tegra             5103  0
sdhci_pltfm             3338  1 sdhci_tegra
phy_tegra_xusb         28062  0
sdhci                  38428  2 sdhci_pltfm,sdhci_tegra
scsi_mod              186313  3 sd_mod,libata,sg

Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

* Re: Nouveau on a Jetson TK1 problems
       [not found] ` <e880adbd-fe20-cb09-5da8-5a5775908557-Og7d35KcFB1bTxZzi51Fyw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-10-17  3:39   ` C Bergström
       [not found]     ` <CAOnawYoT0zV_M-qoS-dvRv_KaV80sWh8yd3jM5Mp_CW2B00UNA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: C Bergström @ 2016-10-17  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ben; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Is there any particular reason you're not using the open source NVIDIA
Tegra drivers?

This is what is being used for the TX1 (Sorry I don't know if it's the
same for the TK1)
http://nv-tegra.nvidia.com/gitweb/?p=linux-3.10.git;a=summary

@ 2016-10-17  3:48       ` Ilia Mirkin
       [not found]         ` <CAKb7UvjP9sVbbgpr8a7pUxF6DWj+VmiYwFmc8g6nY0uwD=k__Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ilia Mirkin @ 2016-10-17  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C Bergström; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 11:39 PM, C Bergström <cbergstrom@pathscale.com> wrote:
> Is there any particular reason you're not using the open source NVIDIA
> Tegra drivers?
>
> This is what is being used for the TX1 (Sorry I don't know if it's the
> same for the TK1)
> http://nv-tegra.nvidia.com/gitweb/?p=linux-3.10.git;a=summary

That's ... not particularly helpful. Presumably non-upstream and the
fact that it's ancient are turn-offs. Either way, he seems to have a
desire to try to get nouveau going.

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 11:11 AM, ben <benjaminscott@centurylink.net> wrote:
>> I hope this is a good mailing list for this problem. I have a Jetson TK1
>> board and I am trying to get the nouveau drivers running on it without
>> success. I am using the following:
>>
>> Nouveau linux kernel 4.8.0-rc4+
>> Nouveau DRM git master
>> xf86-video-nouveau git master
>> Gnurou xserver  git branch GK20A
>>
>> My base system is Debian.
>>
>> When I try to start X I get:  X: drmmode_display.c:783: drmmode_crtc_init:
>> Assertion `ret == 0' failed. There is also a kernel log message: [drm]
>> Cannot find any crtc or sizes - going 1024x768

I don't think I've seen this before. The odd thing about the TK1 (and
TX1, I believe), is that the GK20A device doesn't have any display
capabilities - those are left up to tegra. Sounds like you're trying
to use the nouveau ddx as the primary, which fails as there are no
CRTC's. I believe Gnurou's xserver hacks rely on you using glamor (and
thus the modesetting xorg ddx). Is that what you're using? Can you
provide an xorg log?

Cheers,

  -ilia

@ 2016-10-17  3:58           ` C Bergström
       [not found]             ` <CAOnawYrA6a9yYR+=p3mnWm9xShzxtuC8OchpfUkeKZ5eTxc6cg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: C Bergström @ 2016-10-17  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilia Mirkin; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Ilia Mirkin <imirkin@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 11:39 PM, C Bergström <cbergstrom@pathscale.com> wrote:
>> Is there any particular reason you're not using the open source NVIDIA
>> Tegra drivers?
>>
>> This is what is being used for the TX1 (Sorry I don't know if it's the
>> same for the TK1)
>> http://nv-tegra.nvidia.com/gitweb/?p=linux-3.10.git;a=summary
>
> That's ... not particularly helpful. Presumably non-upstream and the
> fact that it's ancient are turn-offs. Either way, he seems to have a
> desire to try to get nouveau going.

Compared to buggy, not working and pointless?

"ancient" it's like saying everything that RH ships is worthless..

I was hoping not to get trolled and instead to get sincere feedback
from the user about what his needs might be. It may be simple
curiosity or actually something technical. So I'm happy you may be
able to help him on his mission, but attacks (esp stupid ones) aren't
appreciated.

@ 2016-10-17  5:21               ` Karol Herbst
From: Karol Herbst @ 2016-10-17  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C Bergström; +Cc: ML nouveau

mhh, I thought nouveau _is_ the new thing officially for tegra? Or did I
miss anything?

@ 2016-10-17 20:39           ` Karol Herbst
From: Karol Herbst @ 2016-10-17 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilia Mirkin; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

> On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 11:39 PM, C Bergström <cbergstrom@pathscale.com> wrote:
>> Is there any particular reason you're not using the open source NVIDIA
>> Tegra drivers?
>>
>> This is what is being used for the TX1 (Sorry I don't know if it's the
>> same for the TK1)
>> http://nv-tegra.nvidia.com/gitweb/?p=linux-3.10.git;a=summary
>
> That's ... not particularly helpful. Presumably non-upstream and the
> fact that it's ancient are turn-offs. Either way, he seems to have a
> desire to try to get nouveau going.
>

>> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 11:11 AM, ben <benjaminscott@centurylink.net> wrote:
>>> I hope this is a good mailing list for this problem. I have a Jetson TK1
>>> board and I am trying to get the nouveau drivers running on it without
>>> success. I am using the following:
>>>
>>> Nouveau linux kernel 4.8.0-rc4+
>>> Nouveau DRM git master
>>> xf86-video-nouveau git master
>>> Gnurou xserver  git branch GK20A
>>>
>>> My base system is Debian.
>>>
>>> When I try to start X I get:  X: drmmode_display.c:783: drmmode_crtc_init:
>>> Assertion `ret == 0' failed. There is also a kernel log message: [drm]
>>> Cannot find any crtc or sizes - going 1024x768
>
> I don't think I've seen this before. The odd thing about the TK1 (and
> TX1, I believe), is that the GK20A device doesn't have any display
> capabilities - those are left up to tegra. Sounds like you're trying
> to use the nouveau ddx as the primary, which fails as there are no
> CRTC's. I believe Gnurou's xserver hacks rely on you using glamor (and
> thus the modesetting xorg ddx). Is that what you're using? Can you
> provide an xorg log?

Well it works like that basically:
modesetting DDX runs on top of the tegra 2d engine and 2d acceleration
is provided by prime offloaded glamor on top of mesa on the 3d engine
driven by nouveau.
Which basically means: remove xf86-video-nouveau

@ 2016-10-18  0:01   ` Alexandre Courbot
From: Alexandre Courbot @ 2016-10-18  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ben; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:11 PM, ben <benjaminscott@centurylink.net> wrote:
> I hope this is a good mailing list for this problem. I have a Jetson TK1
> board and I am trying to get the nouveau drivers running on it without
> success. I am using the following:
>
> Nouveau linux kernel 4.8.0-rc4+
> Nouveau DRM git master
> xf86-video-nouveau git master
> Gnurou xserver  git branch GK20A
>
> My base system is Debian.
>
> When I try to start X I get:  X: drmmode_display.c:783: drmmode_crtc_init:
> Assertion `ret == 0' failed. There is also a kernel log message: [drm]
> Cannot find any crtc or sizes - going 1024x768

Posting your /var/log/Xorg.0.log would be most helpful at this point,
to understand which DDX is being used. On Tegra, you want to use the
modesetting DDX since the display device is driven by tegradrm and
thus not Nouveau-supported.

If you want any kind of acceleration, you will also need to patch X
for the same reason (see the two top commits at
https://github.com/Gnurou/xserver/commits/gk20a). GLamor can be used
with modesetting for hw acceleration, but this requires plugging the
display and rendering devices using PRIME (which X does not support
out-of-the-box at the moment).

These X patches in turn require the following kernel patch which is
not upstreamed yet:
https://github.com/Gnurou/linux/commit/8b06bf92b8da6bee92c3a2a8eaccd74ed3dd1939

Having to patch around is a bit boring, but once you get things
working X on TK1 is a rather pleasant experience (with or without
acceleration). Please let me know if anything is unclear!

Cheers,
Alex.