* cursor position does not follow output
@ 2015-05-08 18:05 Olaf Hering
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Olaf Hering @ 2015-05-08 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

In my testing with a PV guest I notice that the cursor during input
remains at the 24th row. The actual output of the help command for
example lists all possible commands and causes scrolling. If I enter
something the input does not appear at the bottom but at the 24 row.

Where is the code which controls the cursor position?

Olaf

* Re: cursor position does not follow output
@ 2015-05-08 18:09 ` Olaf Hering
From: Olaf Hering @ 2015-05-08 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

On Fri, May 08, Olaf Hering wrote:

> In my testing with a PV guest I notice that the cursor during input
> remains at the 24th row. The actual output of the help command for
> example lists all possible commands and causes scrolling. If I enter
> something the input does not appear at the bottom but at the 24 row.

The output looks like that:

                          GNU GRUB  version 2.02~beta2

   Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB
   lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible
   device or file completions.

grub> s
error: can't find command `s'.
grub> s
error: can't find command `s'.
grub> s
error: can't find command `s'.
grub> s
error: can't find command `s'.
grub> s
error: can't find command `s'.
grub> s
error: can't find command `s'.
grub> s
error: can't find command `s'.
grub> s
error:ssssss find command `s'.
error: can't find command `ssss'.'.
grub>

That is, whatever I do the input appears in the line with all the 'sss'.
Happens within a screen session and with a plain xterm.

@ 2015-05-08 18:41 ` Andrei Borzenkov
From: Andrei Borzenkov @ 2015-05-08 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olaf Hering; +Cc: grub-devel

В Fri, 8 May 2015 20:05:51 +0200
Olaf Hering <olaf@aepfle.de> пишет:

> In my testing with a PV guest I notice that the cursor during input
> remains at the 24th row. The actual output of the help command for
> example lists all possible commands and causes scrolling. If I enter
> something the input does not appear at the bottom but at the 24 row.
>
> Where is the code which controls the cursor position?

If you are using serial output this is in grub-core/term/terminfo.c.

* Re: cursor position does not follow output
@ 2015-05-10  9:25   ` Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2015-05-10  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

What do you use as terminal on host side? Does it support vt100? Can you
enable recoding to see what sequence was sent?

@ 2015-05-11  7:45 ` Olaf Hering
From: Olaf Hering @ 2015-05-11  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

On Fri, May 08, Olaf Hering wrote:

> Where is the code which controls the cursor position?

Looks like the issue is this forced size:
struct grub_terminfo_output_state grub_console_terminfo_output = {
  .put = put,
  .size = {80, 24}
};

Is grub supposed to do all its scrolling within those margins?
If so that is likely broken.

@ 2015-05-11  7:56   ` Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2015-05-11  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

It's not forced, it's default. Unfortunately there is no way to know
terminal size on xen, so we assume 80x24 size. You cab specify a different
size with terminfo -g parameter

@ 2015-05-11  8:11     ` Olaf Hering
From: Olaf Hering @ 2015-05-11  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

On Mon, May 11, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:

> It's not forced, it's default. Unfortunately there is no way to know terminal
> size on xen, so we assume 80x24 size.

In the environment where grub runs doing a query for the terminal size
should be reliable. I will see if whatever initviocons does can be
ported to grub.

> You cab specify a different size with terminfo -g parameter

Does that cmd actually work for you? With 'terminfo -g 200x50'
grub_cmd_terminfo gets called with argc == 0.

@ 2015-05-11  8:33       ` Olaf Hering
From: Olaf Hering @ 2015-05-11  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

On Mon, May 11, Olaf Hering wrote:

> Does that cmd actually work for you? With 'terminfo -g 200x50'
> grub_cmd_terminfo gets called with argc == 0.

I misunderstodd the cmd syntax, its like:

        if [ -n "${rows}" -a -n "${columns}" ];then
        terminfo -g ${rows}x${columns} console
        fi

Now it works if booted with domU.cfg like:
        kernel = "/path/to/grub.xen"
        extra = "rows=263 columns=64"

Olaf