From: Andrii Nakryiko <andrii.nakryiko@gmail.com>
To: Jesper Dangaard Brouer <jbrouer@redhat.com>
Cc: "Michal Swiatkowski" <michal.swiatkowski@linux.intel.com>,
	"Jesper Dangaard Brouer" <brouer@redhat.com>,
	"Toke Høiland-Jørgensen" <toke@redhat.com>,
	"Jakub Kicinski" <kuba@kernel.org>,
	"John Fastabend" <john.fastabend@gmail.com>,
	BPF-dev-list <bpf@vger.kernel.org>,
	"Magnus Karlsson" <magnus.karlsson@gmail.com>,
	"William Tu" <u9012063@gmail.com>,
	xdp-hints@xdp-project.net,
	"Zaremba Larysa" <larysa.zaremba@intel.com>,
	"Jiri Olsa" <jolsa@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: XDP-hints: Howto support multiple BTF types per packet basis?
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 11:19:23 -0700	[thread overview]

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 6:28 AM Jesper Dangaard Brouer
<jbrouer@redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> lookup before loading the BPF-prog into the kernel.
> >>
> >> For AF_XDP we need to code our own similar lookup of the btf_id. (In that
> >> process I imagine that userspace tools could/would read the BTF member
> >> offsets and check it against what they expected).
> >>

> >>   [1] https://github.com/xdp-project/bpf-examples/blob/master/ktrace-CO-RE/ktrace01_kern.c#L34-L57
> >>
> > Thanks a lot. I tested Your CO-RE example. For defines that are located
> > in vmlinux everything works fine (like for sk_buff). When I tried to get
> > btf id of structures defined in module (loaded module, structure can be
> > find in /sys/kerne/btf/module_name) I always get 0 (not found). Do You
> > know if bpf_core_type_id_kernel() should also support modules btf?
>
> This might be caused by git-submodule libbpf being too old in
> xdp-project/bpf-examples repo.  I will investigate closer.
>

> I did notice my bpftool (on my devel box) were tool old, as bpftool
> could not dump info in /sys/kerne/btf/module_name
>
>    # bpftool btf dump file /sys/kernel/btf/igc format raw
>    Error: failed to load BTF from /sys/kernel/btf/igc: Unknown error -22
>
> After updating bpftool it does work.
>
> > Based on:
> > [1] https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/20201110011932.3201430-5-andrii@kernel.org/
> > I assume that modules btfs also are marked as in-kernel, but I can't
> > make it works with bpf_core_type_id_kernel(). My clang version is
> > 12.0.1, so changes needed by modules btf should be there
> > [2] https://reviews.llvm.org/D91489

> >> (Andrii please correctly me as this is likely wrong:)
> >> I imagine that driver will have a pointer to a 'struct btf' object and the
> >> btf_id can be read via btf_obj_id() (that just return btf->id).
> >> As this also allows driver to take refcnt on the btf-object.
> >> Much like Ederson did in [2].
> >>
> >> Maybe I misunderstood the use of the 'struct btf' object ?
> >>
> >> Maybe it is the wrong approach? As the patchset[2] exports btf_obj_id() and
> >> introduced helper functions that can register/unregister btf objects[3],
> >> which I sense might not be needed today, as modules can get their own BTF
> >> info automatically today.
> >> Maybe this (btf->id) is not the ID we are looking for?
> >>
> >> [2] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20210803010331.39453-11-ederson.desouza@intel.com/
> >> [3]
> >> https://lore.kernel.org/all/20210803010331.39453-2-ederson.desouza@intel.com/
> >>

> > As 'struct btf' object do You mean one module btf with all definitions
> > or specific structure btf object?
> >
> > In case of Your example [1]. If in driver side there will be call to get
> > btf id of sk_buff:
> > id = btf_find_by_name_kind(vmlinux_btf, "sk_buff", BTF_KIND_STRUCT);
> > this id will be the same as id from Your ktrace01 program. I think this
> > is id that we are looking for.
>
> Yes, I think this is the ID we should use.
>
> The 'struct btf' object ID is something else I suspect? Or it is also a
> valid BTF ID?
>
> I wanted to ask Andrii if the IDs are unique across vmlinux and modules?

Depending on what IDs we are talking about (sorry, I don't follow this
thread very closely, so if you are curious about some aspects of BTF
or libbpf APIs, it would be good to have a specific questions with
some context). BTF as kernel object has it's own ID allocated through
idr, so yes, they are unique. so vmlinux BTF object will have it's own
ID, while each module's BTF will have it's own.

But if we are talking about BTF type IDs, that's entirely different
thing. BTF type IDs start from 1 (0 is reserved for special 'VOID'
type) all the way to number of types in vmlinux BTF. Then each module
extends vmlinx BTF starting at N + 1 and going to N + M, where N is
number of BTF types in vmlinux BTF and M is number of added types in
module BTF.

So in that regard each module has BTF type IDs that are overlapping
with other modules, which is why for unique fetching of BTF types from
modules you also need BTF object FD or ID of a module BTF, and then
BTF type ID within that module. But as I said, I didn't follow along
closely, so not sure if I'm answering the right question, sorry.