From: Michal Swiatkowski <michal.swiatkowski@linux.intel.com>
To: "Toke Høiland-Jørgensen" <toke@redhat.com>
Cc: Jakub Kicinski <kuba@kernel.org>,
	John Fastabend <john.fastabend@gmail.com>,
	Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@redhat.com>,
	Andrii Nakryiko <andrii.nakryiko@gmail.com>,
	BPF-dev-list <bpf@vger.kernel.org>,
	Magnus Karlsson <magnus.karlsson@gmail.com>,
	William Tu <u9012063@gmail.com>,
	xdp-hints@xdp-project.net
Subject: Re: XDP-hints: Howto support multiple BTF types per packet basis?
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 04:32:37 -0400	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 02:23:02PM +0200, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> One way is to only include the structs you actually need from vmlinux.h.
> >> You can even prune struct members, since CO-RE works just fine with
> >> partial struct definitions as long as the member names match.
> >>
> >> Jesper has an example on how to handle this here:
> >> https://github.com/netoptimizer/bpf-examples/blob/ktrace01-CO-RE.public/headers/vmlinux_local.h
> >>

> > I see, thanks, I will take a look at other examples.

> >> I would expect the easiest is for drivers to just define their own
> >> structs and maybe have some infrastructure in the core to let userspace
> >> discover the right BTF IDs to use for a particular netdev. However, as
> >> you say it's not going to work if every driver just invents their own
> >> field names, so we'll need to coordinate somehow. We could do this by
> >> convention, though, it'll need manual intervention to make sure the
> >> semantics of identically-named fields match anyway.
> >>
> >> Cf the earlier discussion with how many BTF IDs each driver might
> >> define, I think we *also* need a way to have flags that specify which
> >> fields of a given BTF ID are currently used; and having some common
> >> infrastructure for that would be good...
> >>

> > Sounds good.
> >
> > Sorry, but I feel that I don't fully understand the idea. Correct me if
> > I am wrong:
> >
> > In building CO-RE application step we can defined big struct with
> > all possible fields or even empty struct (?) and use
> > bpf_core_field_exists.
> >
> > bpf_core_field_exists will be resolve before loading program by libbpf
> > code. In normal case libbpf will look for btf with hints name in vmlinux
> > of running kernel and do offset rewrite and exsistence check. But as the
> > same hints struct will be define in multiple modules we want to add more
> > logic to libbpf to discover correct BTF ID based on netdev on which program
> > will be loaded?
>
> I would expect that the program would decide ahead-of-time which BTF IDs
> it supports, by something like including the relevant structs from
> vmlinux.h. And then we need the BTF ID encoded into the packet metadata
> as well, so that it is possible to check at run-time which driver the
> packet came from (since a packet can be redirected, so you may end up
> having to deal with multiple formats in the same XDP program).
>
> Which would allow you to write code like:
>
> if (ctx->has_driver_meta) {
>   /* this should be at a well-known position, like first (or last) in meta area */
>   __u32 *meta_btf_id = ctx->data_meta;
>
>   if (*meta_btf_id == BTF_ID_MLX5) {
>     struct meta_mlx5 *meta = ctx->data_meta;
>     /* do something with meta */
>   } else if (meta_btf_id == BTF_ID_I40E) {
>     struct meta_i40e *meta = ctx->data_meta;
>     /* do something with meta */
>   } /* etc */
> }
>
> and libbpf could do relocations based on the different meta structs,
> even removing the code for the ones that don't exist on the running

This looks nice. In this case we need defintions of struct meta_mlx5 and
struct meta_i40e at build time. How are we going to deliver this to bpf
core app? This will be available in /sys/kernel/btf/mlx5 and
/sys/kernel/btf/i40e (if drivers are loaded). Should we dump this to
vmlinux.h? Or a developer of the xdp program should add this definition
to his code?

Maybe create another /sys/kernel/btf/hints with vmlinux and hints from
all drivers which support hints?

Previously in this thread someone mentioned this ___ use case in libbpf
and proposed creating something like mega xdp hints structure with all
available fields across all drivers. As I understand this could solve
the problem about defining correct structure at build time. But how will
it work when there will be more than one structures with the same name
before ___? I mean:
struct xdp_hints___mega defined only in core app
struct xdp_hints___mlx5 available when mlx5 driver is loaded
struct xdp_hints___i40e available when i40e driver is loaded

When there will be only one driver loaded should libbpf do correct
reallocation of fields? What will happen when both of the drivers are
loaded?