* btrfs-progs and libbtrfsutil versioning
@ 2020-09-24  1:48 Neal Gompa
From: Neal Gompa @ 2020-09-24  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Btrfs BTRFS; +Cc: David Sterba

Hey all,

I've been working on a set of patches to synchronize the version
numbers across everything produced by btrfs-progs and add pkgconfig
files to make it easier for software to consume the libraries, but as
I worked through it, I started realizing that btrfs-progs actually has
*two* distinctly separate projects in one package.

This is somewhat problematic since it makes properly representing that
versioning in the packages I ship in Fedora rather difficult.

Would it be possible to consider splitting libbtrfsutil into its own
project with its own releases? If not, is there a reason that we
*can't* synchronize the versions across btrfs-progs, libbtrfs, and
libbtrfsutil? We could still make sure that the library sonames are
versioned properly, but having the user-facing versions actually sync
up makes life a lot easier...