* [Question] How to handle GPLv3 packages?
@ 2022-04-06  8:59 Måns
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Måns @ 2022-04-06  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi,

I cannot use GPLv3 packages in our image build. I am no legal expert
but from what I can understand most companies will not be able to
comply with this license without allowing the customer to compile and
deploy a new version of any GPLv3 package to the target. I know it is
possible to comply with this but we are using secure boot and have not
the time and probably no interest in setting up a solution for
allowing customers to be able to deploy GPLv3 packages on the target.
We are trying to make use of INCOMPATIBLE_LICENSE but that results in
several issues. We have made sure that we don't include GPLv3 in the
image build using a manual process but would like to use
INCOMPATIBLE_LICENSE to alert any developer about the issue. It seems
like INCOMPATIBLE_LICENSE is a bit harsh since it will catch any
packages even if it is only part of the SDK and also for native
packages that are not part of the image build.

I cannot be the only one with this problem so how are other companies
solving this issue? Are they just not using the INCOMPATIBLE_LICENSE?
Are you setting up a parallel process for checking for any
incompatible licenses issues?

A more specific issue is that there are so many packages with bash
dependencies which are pulling in bash which is GPLv3 so how have you
solved that? Currently we have done some pretty uggly hacks which I am
not that happy with but we needed to keep it out of the image.

Thanks