* [poky][meta] already-stripped ignore if set for any other package then INSANE_SKIP_${PN}
@ 2018-10-11 17:08 Måns Zigher
From: Måns Zigher @ 2018-10-11 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto discussion list

I have been struggling with a problem where I need to create a package in a
recipe and set already-stripped for that package. The package in question
is not the the default one so I am trying to set it by using

INSANE_SKIP_${PN} += " \
dev-so \
already-stripped \
"

But the result is like it ignore is it. The only way to get it to work is
if I include the file in the default package and set already-stripped to
INSANE_SKIP_${PN}. When looking at the code at package.bbclass this seems
to be correct

if 'already-stripped' in (d.getVar('INSANE_SKIP_' + pn) or "").split():

Is this really the way it should work. I mean dev-so can be set per package
in a recipe but is it not supported to set already-stripped per package? I
am running rocko but could not set that this have be updated in sumo. The
documentation doesn't describe this limitation either.

BR
Måns Zigher

* Re: [poky][meta] already-stripped ignore if set for any other package then INSANE_SKIP_${PN}
@ 2018-10-12 14:30 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2018-10-12 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 at 18:14, Måns Zigher <mans.zigher@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been struggling with a problem where I need to create a package in a recipe and set already-stripped for that package. The package in question is not the the default one so I am trying to set it by using
>
> INSANE_SKIP_${PN} += " \
> dev-so \
> already-stripped \
> "

You say no the default one, but PN is "the default" one, so that's
probably why that doesn't work.

Ross

* Re: [poky][meta] already-stripped ignore if set for any other package then INSANE_SKIP_${PN}
@ 2018-10-15  7:17   ` Måns Zigher
From: Måns Zigher @ 2018-10-15  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

Sorry I see now that there is a typo. What I mean is that in the default
package I am not suing INSANE_SKIP but for packag1 I need already-stripped

INSANE_SKIP_${PN}-package1 = " \
dev-so \
already-stripped \
"

But I continuously get the error that they are already-stripped. So is it
supposed to work because I don't understand  the code in the
package.bbclass since it looks like it is only checking for
already-stripped in ${PN} and not ${PN}-package1?

BR
Måns Zigher

@ 2018-10-15 20:23     ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2018-10-15 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ah yes, of course.  Stripping happens *before* package splitting, so
it doesn't make sense to have it set on PN-package1.  Just set it on
PN and it should work.

Ross

@ 2018-10-16 13:22       ` Måns Zigher
From: Måns Zigher @ 2018-10-16 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

Ok so it is not supported to have the already-stripped on a package level?
I cannot set it on PN because I have some so-files that is already stripped
and others that is not so that was why I wanted to create a package for the
already-stripped so-files and use the already-stripped on that package.
Anyway thanks for the help I ended up creating a new recipe for the
already-stripped so-files. But is all the INSANE_SKIP flags only supported
for PN? I think I have seen dev-so used on an package level?

BR
Måns Zigher

@ 2018-10-16 13:47         ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2018-10-16 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's only already-stripped that needs to be on PN, because the
stripping happens before packaging.  When already-stripped files,
there are no packages yet.

Ross

@ 2018-10-16 22:36           ` Andre McCurdy
From: Andre McCurdy @ 2018-10-16 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 6:47 AM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com> wrote:
> It's only already-stripped that needs to be on PN, because the
> stripping happens before packaging.  When already-stripped files,
> there are no packages yet.
>
> Ross
> On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 14:22, Måns Zigher <mans.zigher@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ok so it is not supported to have the already-stripped on a package level? I cannot set it on PN because I have some so-files that is already stripped and others that is not so that was why I wanted to create a package for the already-stripped so-files and use the already-stripped on that package. Anyway thanks for the help I ended up creating a new recipe for the already-stripped so-files. But is all the INSANE_SKIP flags only supported for PN? I think I have seen dev-so used on an package level?

The key point is when the QA test is run. In the case of
"already-stripped", the test is run as part of split_and_strip_files()
in package.bbclass, ie as part of the normal stripping process. As
Ross mentions, it's therefore run before the build output is split
into packages.

The "dev-so" QA test is run as part of do_package_qa() in
insane.bbclass and can be disabled on a per-package basis.

As far as I know, there's no documentation to say which QA tests can
be disabled on a per-package basis and which can not. If you want to
be sure you need to read the source. Start by grepping for the QA test
you are interested in and also for "package_qa_handle_error" (which is
the function which is called when a QA test fails). Those two together
should help locate the place where the QA test is run... and from that
you can inspect the code to see if/how INSANE_SKIP is applied. For
example, in the case of "already-stripped", the test is run from
split_and_strip_files() and only INSANE_SKIP_${PN} is checked:

  http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/classes/package.bbclass?h=sumo#n1010

(In this case, the code could perhaps be even clearer if checking
whether "already-stripped" is found in INSANE_SKIP_${PN} was done once
at the start of the function, rather than being determining again and
again for each file inside the "for every elf file" loop).

@ 2018-10-17  4:39             ` Måns Zigher
From: Måns Zigher @ 2018-10-17  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: armccurdy; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

Thank you for the clarification that helps

BR
Måns Zigher

@ 2018-10-17  6:54               ` Måns Zigher
From: Måns Zigher @ 2018-10-17  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)