* Doubt regarding build warnings
@ 2016-02-09  4:06 Bhumika Goyal
From: Bhumika Goyal @ 2016-02-09  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

I got these warning today while building the kernel. I already got some
patches accepted but was not not getting any such warnings before.
What can be the reason and how to fix? I used make M=drivers/staging for
the build.
The warnings are like:

WARNING: "__cpu_online_mask"
[drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/ptlrpc/ptlrpc.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "__put_page" [drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/ptlrpc/ptlrpc.ko]
undefined!
WARNING: "__put_page" [drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/obdecho/obdecho.ko]
undefined!
WARNING: "__cpu_possible_mask"
[drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/obdclass/obdclass.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "__page_mapcount" [drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/llite/lustre.ko]
undefined!
WARNING: "__put_page" [drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/llite/lustre.ko]
undefined!
WARNING: "__cpu_possible_mask"
[drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/libcfs/libcfs.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "__cpu_online_mask"
[drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/libcfs/libcfs.ko] undefined!

Thank you,
Bhumika

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Doubt regarding build warnings
@ 2016-02-09  8:49 ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2016-02-09  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel; +Cc: Bhumika Goyal

On Monday 08 February 2016 20:06:15 Bhumika Goyal wrote:
> I got these warning today while building the kernel. I already got some
> patches accepted but was not not getting any such warnings before.
> What can be the reason and how to fix? I used make M=drivers/staging for
> the build.
> The warnings are like:
>
> WARNING: "__cpu_online_mask"
> [drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/ptlrpc/ptlrpc.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "__put_page" [drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/ptlrpc/ptlrpc.ko]
> undefined!
> WARNING: "__put_page" [drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/obdecho/obdecho.ko]
> undefined!
> WARNING: "__cpu_possible_mask"
> [drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/obdclass/obdclass.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "__page_mapcount" [drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/llite/lustre.ko]
> undefined!
> WARNING: "__put_page" [drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/llite/lustre.ko]
> undefined!
> WARNING: "__cpu_possible_mask"
> [drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/libcfs/libcfs.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "__cpu_online_mask"
> [drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/libcfs/libcfs.ko] undefined!

See if you get the same warnings when you do a whole kernel build, without the
"M=drivers/staging". I personally prefer "make drivers/staging/" instead of
"make M=drivers/staging", which has slightly different behavior.

	Arnd

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Doubt regarding build warnings
@ 2016-02-09  9:01   ` Bhumika Goyal
From: Bhumika Goyal @ 2016-02-09  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel; +Cc: bhumirks

Thank you Arnd .I am not getting any warnings with "make drivers/staging".
Can I know the reason for previous warnings when I used "make M" ?

Thanks,
Bhumika Goyal

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Doubt regarding build warnings
@ 2016-02-09 11:08     ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2016-02-09 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel; +Cc: Bhumika Goyal

On Tuesday 09 February 2016 01:01:37 Bhumika Goyal wrote:
> Thank you Arnd .I am not getting any warnings with "make drivers/staging".
> Can I know the reason for previous warnings when I used "make M" ?

The differences are very subtle:

make drivers/staging

   always succeeds, does nothing at all because the directory exists

make drivers/staging/

   descends into that directory to build all the files in it, but does
   not try to link the modules

make M=drivers/staging

   From the output you get, I think this must try to link the modules
   against the previously-build vmlinux file, which for some reason
   fails here. I suggested doing 'make' to rebuild everything including
   vmlinux, so it is up-to-date with your current configuration.

	Arnd

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Doubt regarding build warnings
@ 2016-02-09 11:09       ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2016-02-09 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann; +Cc: outreachy-kernel, Bhumika Goyal

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 February 2016 01:01:37 Bhumika Goyal wrote:
> > Thank you Arnd .I am not getting any warnings with "make drivers/staging".
> > Can I know the reason for previous warnings when I used "make M" ?
> >

> The differences are very subtle:
>
> make drivers/staging
>
>    always succeeds, does nothing at all because the directory exists
>
> make drivers/staging/
>
>    descends into that directory to build all the files in it, but does
>    not try to link the modules
>
> make M=drivers/staging
>
>    From the output you get, I think this must try to link the modules
>    against the previously-build vmlinux file, which for some reason
>    fails here. I suggested doing 'make' to rebuild everything including
>    vmlinux, so it is up-to-date with your current configuration.

CouldI add this to the wiki?

julia

@ 2016-02-09 14:38         ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2016-02-09 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: outreachy-kernel, Bhumika Goyal

On Tuesday 09 February 2016 12:09:38 Julia Lawall wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Feb 2016, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> >
> > The differences are very subtle:
> >
> > make drivers/staging
> >
> >    always succeeds, does nothing at all because the directory exists
> >
> > make drivers/staging/
> >
> >    descends into that directory to build all the files in it, but does
> >    not try to link the modules
> >
> > make M=drivers/staging
> >
> >    From the output you get, I think this must try to link the modules
> >    against the previously-build vmlinux file, which for some reason
> >    fails here. I suggested doing 'make' to rebuild everything including
> >    vmlinux, so it is up-to-date with your current configuration.
>
> Could I add this to the wiki?

Sure.

	Arnd

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Doubt regarding build warnings
@ 2016-02-09 15:18           ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2016-02-09 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 February 2016 12:09:38 Julia Lawall wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Feb 2016, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > >
> > > The differences are very subtle:
> > >
> > > make drivers/staging
> > >
> > >    always succeeds, does nothing at all because the directory exists
> > >
> > > make drivers/staging/
> > >
> > >    descends into that directory to build all the files in it, but does
> > >    not try to link the modules
> > >
> > > make M=drivers/staging
> > >
> > >    From the output you get, I think this must try to link the modules
> > >    against the previously-build vmlinux file, which for some reason
> > >    fails here. I suggested doing 'make' to rebuild everything including
> > >    vmlinux, so it is up-to-date with your current configuration.
> >
> > Could I add this to the wiki?
> >

> Sure.

I put the following:

Compiling only part of the kernel

There are several ways to compile only part of the kernel:

    make path/file.o: This compiles only a single file. It may not be
sufficient to check changes that affect interactions with other files.

    make path, e.g. make drivers/staging: This always succeeds. It does
nothing at all because the directory exists.

    make path/, e.g. make drivers/staging/: This descends into that
directory to build all the files in it, but does not try to link the
modules.

    make M=drivers/staging: This seems to try to link the modules in a
previously build vmlinux file.

Make path/ could be a reasonable choice for a localized change within a
single driver, or for a change localized to drivers staging. In any case,
as a minimum always check that compilation produces a .o file for every
file that your patch changes. If there is no .o file, you have not
compiled the file, and you need to look for other compiler options.

julia

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Doubt regarding build warnings
@ 2016-02-09 15:46             ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2016-02-09 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

On Tuesday 09 February 2016 16:18:55 Julia Lawall wrote:
>     make M=drivers/staging: This seems to try to link the modules in a
> previously build vmlinux file.
>
> Make path/ could be a reasonable choice for a localized change within a
> single driver, or for a change localized to drivers staging. In any case,
> as a minimum always check that compilation produces a .o file for every
> file that your patch changes. If there is no .o file, you have not
> compiled the file, and you need to look for other compiler options.

Ok, sounds good. I've added a little bit more detail now:

http://kernelnewbies.org/FirstKernelPatch?action=diff&rev2=25&rev1=24

	Arnd

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Doubt regarding build warnings
@ 2016-02-09 15:49               ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2016-02-09 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 February 2016 16:18:55 Julia Lawall wrote:
> >     make M=drivers/staging: This seems to try to link the modules in a
> > previously build vmlinux file.
> >
> > Make path/ could be a reasonable choice for a localized change within a
> > single driver, or for a change localized to drivers staging. In any case,
> > as a minimum always check that compilation produces a .o file for every
> > file that your patch changes. If there is no .o file, you have not
> > compiled the file, and you need to look for other compiler options.
>
> Ok, sounds good. I've added a little bit more detail now:
>
> http://kernelnewbies.org/FirstKernelPatch?action=diff&rev2=25&rev1=24

Thanks.  What is -sj2?

julia

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Doubt regarding build warnings
@ 2016-02-09 15:54                 ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2016-02-09 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Tuesday 09 February 2016 16:49:31 Julia Lawall wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Feb 2016, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 09 February 2016 16:18:55 Julia Lawall wrote:
> > >     make M=drivers/staging: This seems to try to link the modules in a
> > > previously build vmlinux file.
> > >
> > > Make path/ could be a reasonable choice for a localized change within a
> > > single driver, or for a change localized to drivers staging. In any case,
> > > as a minimum always check that compilation produces a .o file for every
> > > file that your patch changes. If there is no .o file, you have not
> > > compiled the file, and you need to look for other compiler options.
> >
> > Ok, sounds good. I've added a little bit more detail now:
> >
> > http://kernelnewbies.org/FirstKernelPatch?action=diff&rev2=25&rev1=24
>
> Thanks.  What is -sj2?

-s is 'silent', -j2 is used to build on two threads in parallel rather than
one. On second thought, I'll remove those again, as this prevents you
from seeing which files get built.

	Arnd

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Doubt regarding build warnings
@ 2016-02-09 15:55                   ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2016-02-09 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 February 2016 16:49:31 Julia Lawall wrote:

> > > Ok, sounds good. I've added a little bit more detail now:
> > >
> > > http://kernelnewbies.org/FirstKernelPatch?action=diff&rev2=25&rev1=24
> >
> > Thanks.  What is -sj2?
> >

> -s is 'silent', -j2 is used to build on two threads in parallel rather than
> one. On second thought, I'll remove those again, as this prevents you
> from seeing which files get built.

-j2 could be left, but one could also infer it from the rest.

thanks,
julia

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Doubt regarding build warnings
@ 2016-02-09 15:57                     ` Daniel Baluta
From: Daniel Baluta @ 2016-02-09 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: Arnd Bergmann, outreachy-kernel

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Julia Lawall <julia.lawall@lip6.fr> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Feb 2016, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

>> > Thanks.  What is -sj2?
>> >

>> -s is 'silent', -j2 is used to build on two threads in parallel rather than
>> one. On second thought, I'll remove those again, as this prevents you
>> from seeing which files get built.
>
> -j2 could be left, but one could also infer it from the rest.

I would also remove -j2, doesn't make any difference for building few modules.
It can only confuse things.

Daniel.