* IIO driver for si114x
@ 2016-04-12 11:45 Crestez Dan Leonard
From: Crestez Dan Leonard @ 2016-04-12 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Meerwald-Stadler, linux-iio; +Cc: Jonathan Cameron, Daniel Baluta

Hello,

I want to add support for a si1145 light sensor. Some brief googling
finds a bunch of old (2012) patches for an si114x driver in
drivers/iio/light. Here's the link to the old thread:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.iio/5478

I did not find any reference to si114x in the main kernel tree so it
seems to me that it was never actually included. There are a bunch of
other out-of-tree drivers I found searching the web but they don't seem
to be IIO drivers so are not interesting.

I'm willing to do the work to get support for this in upstream. I guess
the best way to do that would be to apply the most recent source I can
find to my local tree, test it on my device and repost on the list for
review, right? I can't find anything newer than 2012 though.

As far as I can tell there at are two sets of device models:
Si1141/42/43 and 45/46/47 with similar datasheets:

https://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/TechnicalDocs/Si114x.pdf
https://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/TechnicalDocs/Si1145-46-47.pdf

I only have a Si1145 device so I can't test support for si1141/42/43.

Leonard

* Re: IIO driver for si114x
@ 2016-04-12 12:06 ` Peter Meerwald-Stadler
From: Peter Meerwald-Stadler @ 2016-04-12 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Crestez Dan Leonard; +Cc: linux-iio, Jonathan Cameron, Daniel Baluta

Hello,

> I want to add support for a si1145 light sensor. Some brief googling finds a
> bunch of old (2012) patches for an si114x driver in drivers/iio/light. Here's
> the link to the old thread:
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.iio/5478

I have updated sources, not yet posted
Matt Ranostay also indicated that he'd be willing to work on the device

> I'm willing to do the work to get support for this in upstream. I guess the
> best way to do that would be to apply the most recent source I can find to my
> local tree, test it on my device and repost on the list for review, right? I
> can't find anything newer than 2012 though.

the si114x is a rather complicated device with many controls, for example
the output current of the LEDs

I think this issue also surfaced for another proximity driver recently...

regards, p.

--

Peter Meerwald-Stadler
+43-664-2444418 (mobile)

* Re: IIO driver for si114x
@ 2016-04-12 13:04   ` Crestez Dan Leonard
From: Crestez Dan Leonard @ 2016-04-12 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Meerwald-Stadler; +Cc: linux-iio, Jonathan Cameron, Daniel Baluta

On 04/12/2016 03:06 PM, Peter Meerwald-Stadler wrote:
>> I want to add support for a si1145 light sensor. Some brief googling finds a
>> bunch of old (2012) patches for an si114x driver in drivers/iio/light. Here's
>> the link to the old thread:
>>
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.iio/5478
>
> I have updated sources, not yet posted
> Matt Ranostay also indicated that he'd be willing to work on the device
I found some reasonably recent sources in the chromeos kernel:

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/kernel-next/+/chromeos-4.4/drivers/iio/light/si114x.c

This driver seems to be only for si1141/42/43 models and will explicitly
fail on probe with the part_id values reported by si1145. Some hacking
made the driver probe and report some sort of values.

I'm not sure how well that driver is tested, it failed for me at
register time because SI114X_CURRENT_CHANNEL has the default scan_index
0 and this is detected as a duplicate despite the fact that scan_type is
not otherwise filled. This check has been in the IIO core since 3.18.

If you have updated sources can you please post them?

Leonard

* Re: IIO driver for si114x
@ 2016-04-12 13:43     ` Daniel Baluta
From: Daniel Baluta @ 2016-04-12 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Crestez Dan Leonard
  Cc: Peter Meerwald-Stadler, linux-iio, Jonathan Cameron,
	Daniel Baluta, Matt Ranostaj

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 4:04 PM, Crestez Dan Leonard
<leonard.crestez@intel.com> wrote:
> On 04/12/2016 03:06 PM, Peter Meerwald-Stadler wrote:
>>>
>>> I want to add support for a si1145 light sensor. Some brief googling
>>> finds a
>>> bunch of old (2012) patches for an si114x driver in drivers/iio/light.
>>> Here's
>>> the link to the old thread:
>>>
>>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.iio/5478
>>

>> I have updated sources, not yet posted
>> Matt Ranostay also indicated that he'd be willing to work on the device
>
> I found some reasonably recent sources in the chromeos kernel:
>
> https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/kernel-next/+/chromeos-4.4/drivers/iio/light/si114x.c
>
> This driver seems to be only for si1141/42/43 models and will explicitly
> fail on probe with the part_id values reported by si1145. Some hacking made
> the driver probe and report some sort of values.
>
> I'm not sure how well that driver is tested, it failed for me at register
> time because SI114X_CURRENT_CHANNEL has the default scan_index 0 and this is
> detected as a duplicate despite the fact that scan_type is not otherwise
> filled. This check has been in the IIO core since 3.18.

Pretty sure the tests where done without this patch:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-iio/msg15851.html

* Re: IIO driver for si114x
@ 2016-04-19 12:42   ` Daniel Baluta
From: Daniel Baluta @ 2016-04-19 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Meerwald-Stadler
  Cc: Crestez Dan Leonard, linux-iio, Jonathan Cameron, Daniel Baluta,
	Matt Ranostaj

Hi Peter, Matt,

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Peter Meerwald-Stadler
<pmeerw@pmeerw.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> I want to add support for a si1145 light sensor. Some brief googling finds a
>> bunch of old (2012) patches for an si114x driver in drivers/iio/light. Here's
>> the link to the old thread:
>>
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.iio/5478

Best option for us here is to send patches based on Peter proposal.

> I have updated sources, not yet posted
> Matt Ranostay also indicated that he'd be willing to work on the device

Matt did you already have some work on this?

@ 2016-04-20  3:16     ` Matt Ranostay
From: Matt Ranostay @ 2016-04-20  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Baluta
  Cc: Peter Meerwald-Stadler, Crestez Dan Leonard, linux-iio, Jonathan Cameron

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 5:42 AM, Daniel Baluta <daniel.baluta@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter, Matt,
>
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Peter Meerwald-Stadler
> <pmeerw@pmeerw.net> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>> I want to add support for a si1145 light sensor. Some brief googling finds a
>>> bunch of old (2012) patches for an si114x driver in drivers/iio/light. Here's
>>> the link to the old thread:
>>>
>>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.iio/5478
>
> Best option for us here is to send patches based on Peter proposal.
>

>> I have updated sources, not yet posted
>> Matt Ranostay also indicated that he'd be willing to work on the device
>
> Matt did you already have some work on this?

Nope. But I probably can do some Tested-By if I dig out this sensor.