* How to help with new kernel?
@ 2021-02-05 15:50 Dave Pawson
From: Dave Pawson @ 2021-02-05 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable

Do you really want companies only?
If you detail how to install the new kernel
(and any other prerequisites) and if 'ordinary use'
is sufficient, I'm sure others would help.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

* Re: How to help with new kernel?
@ 2021-02-06  7:02 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-02-06  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Pawson; +Cc: stable

On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 03:50:55PM +0000, Dave Pawson wrote:
> Do you really want companies only?

No, I will accept help from anyone who relies on the stable kernels.

> If you detail how to install the new kernel
> (and any other prerequisites) and if 'ordinary use'
> is sufficient, I'm sure others would help.

That is already well documented, heck, I wrote a whole book on how to do
that and it's free online :)

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: How to help with new kernel?
@ 2021-02-06  8:31   ` Dave Pawson
From: Dave Pawson @ 2021-02-06  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: stable

Kernel how to you mention?
http://www.kroah.com/lkn/  is that the one?
Guessing that is more up to date than the O'Reilly one?
 I have author access to O'reilly if that is easier / clearer?

regards

--

@ 2021-02-06  8:38     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-02-06  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Pawson; +Cc: stable

A: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post
Q: Were do I find info about this thing called top-posting?
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

A: No.

http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top

On Sat, Feb 06, 2021 at 08:31:30AM +0000, Dave Pawson wrote:
> Kernel how to you mention?
> http://www.kroah.com/lkn/  is that the one?

Yes.

> Guessing that is more up to date than the O'Reilly one?

Should be identical.

Also see kernelnewbies.org, it has a lot of good tutorials and
information to help you get started.

good luck!

greg k-h

* Re: How to help with new kernel?
@ 2021-02-06  9:07       ` Dave Pawson
From: Dave Pawson @ 2021-02-06  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: stable

And I thought I was old fashioned <grin/>
<guess>
  top posting is more common than inline
</guess>

Thanks Greg.

--

@ 2021-02-06  9:28         ` Willy Tarreau
From: Willy Tarreau @ 2021-02-06  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Pawson; +Cc: Greg KH, stable

On Sat, Feb 06, 2021 at 09:07:05AM +0000, Dave Pawson wrote:
> And I thought I was old fashioned <grin/>
> <guess>
>   top posting is more common than inline
> </guess>

More common doesn't mean less annoying. If you're in the middle of
plenty of impolite and annoying people, you might feel very uneasy
and that doesn't necessarily make you wrong. Top posting is
irrespectful of the time of those who have to read you and respond
to you and you're really lucky to find people accepting to respond
to such painful messages.

Willy