* Including the kernel in the image
@ 2012-02-28 15:48 Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2012-02-28 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Hi all,

For some boot configurations (e.g. kexecboot) having the kernel binary in the
image is required. In OE Classic, task-boot used to always include the kernel
binary in the image (via RRECOMMENDS, so it could be uninstalled). We don't
currently have this in OE-Core and I was wondering what the new preferred way
to have this done would be.

Obviously we could go and add it to various images or even to task-core-boot
again but I'm not sure that's ideal. Wanting the kernel in the image is really
machine-specific (or to be precise, boot method specific); so I'm wondering if
adding it to MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS for all machines likely to
need it is the right thing to do?

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: Including the kernel in the image
@ 2012-02-28 16:00 ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2012-02-28 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Op 28 feb. 2012, om 16:48 heeft Paul Eggleton het volgende geschreven:

> Hi all,
>
> For some boot configurations (e.g. kexecboot) having the kernel binary in the
> image is required. In OE Classic, task-boot used to always include the kernel
> binary in the image (via RRECOMMENDS, so it could be uninstalled). We don't
> currently have this in OE-Core and I was wondering what the new preferred way
> to have this done would be.

As long as the solution doesn't end up with the FILES_kernel = "" crap we had in OE-classic.

> Obviously we could go and add it to various images or even to task-core-boot
> again but I'm not sure that's ideal. Wanting the kernel in the image is really
> machine-specific (or to be precise, boot method specific); so I'm wondering if
> adding it to MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS for all machines likely to
> need it is the right thing to do?

I think so, maybe that will get people motivated to make BAD_RECOMMENDATIONS work with all package formats :)

regards,

Koen

* Re: Including the kernel in the image
@ 2012-02-28 23:17 ` McClintock Matthew-B29882
From: McClintock Matthew-B29882 @ 2012-02-28 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 9:48 AM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For some boot configurations (e.g. kexecboot) having the kernel binary in the
> image is required. In OE Classic, task-boot used to always include the kernel
> binary in the image (via RRECOMMENDS, so it could be uninstalled). We don't
> currently have this in OE-Core and I was wondering what the new preferred way
> to have this done would be.
>
> Obviously we could go and add it to various images or even to task-core-boot
> again but I'm not sure that's ideal. Wanting the kernel in the image is really
> machine-specific (or to be precise, boot method specific); so I'm wondering if
> adding it to MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS for all machines likely to
> need it is the right thing to do?

kexec and qemu/kvm could use this...

-M

From: McClintock Matthew-B29882 @ 2012-02-28 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Matthew McClintock <msm@freescale.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 9:48 AM, Paul Eggleton
> <paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> For some boot configurations (e.g. kexecboot) having the kernel binary in the
>> image is required. In OE Classic, task-boot used to always include the kernel
>> binary in the image (via RRECOMMENDS, so it could be uninstalled). We don't
>> currently have this in OE-Core and I was wondering what the new preferred way
>> to have this done would be.
>>
>> Obviously we could go and add it to various images or even to task-core-boot
>> again but I'm not sure that's ideal. Wanting the kernel in the image is really
>> machine-specific (or to be precise, boot method specific); so I'm wondering if
>> adding it to MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS for all machines likely to
>> need it is the right thing to do?
>
> kexec and qemu/kvm could use this...

And I meant to finish by saying qemu/kvm can also use a rootfs in a rootfs...

-M