* Pioneer DJ DDJ-SR2 sound degradation
@ 2021-03-18 22:41 Geraldo
From: Geraldo @ 2021-03-18 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi everyone,

I'm running stable kernel 5.11.6 together with my Pioneer DJ DDJ-SR2 and
JACK. Mixxx is running on top of JACK.

After I start JACK I have about 40 minutes of good sound quality from the
inputs. After this period the sound will begin to degrade slowly until it
is almost pure distortion.

The issue is gone if I restart the JACK server, no need to reboot the
hardware. The description I gave above sounds a lot like soundcard clock
drift (which happens to those using more than one soundcard. You know)
which motivates me to believe we missed a bug somewhere around the recent
changes introduced in implicit feedback sync for Pioneer devices

Dyndbg shows nothing useful I guess. No xruns reported.

I've recorded a 1KHz tone and after 50+ minutes the sound degradation kicks
in. Only problem is even after cutting and encoding to mp3 128kbps it's
still a 10 megabytes file. I suppose I could post it to Soundcloud or
Mixcloud if anyone is interested.

Is anyone else experiencing these symptoms with Pioneer hardware? Note that
the sound degradation kicks in after about an hour, more or less, and it's
for the inputs only. Outputs continue to operate fine without the need to
restart the JACK server every hour.

Thanks everybody,
Geraldo