* [cip-dev] Progress on the CIP kernel maintenance and testing for your ELC talk
@ 2018-03-13 14:58 Agustín Benito Bethencourt
From: Agustín Benito Bethencourt @ 2018-03-13 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Yoshi,

since you usually provide an update of the technical work done within CIP in
your talks, here are some bullet points you can add in tomorrow's talk at ELC
if you like.

## Kernel maintenance

* CIP 4.4.120-cip20 released last week.

Link: https://gitlab.com/cip-project/linux-cip

Comment: Ben Hutchings, from Codethink, releases a kernel version every 4 to 6
weeks approx., depending on the amount and relevance of upstream patches
landing on 4.4 LTS. Ben H. collaborates in the 4.4 LTS process directly.

* Effort in ensuring Meltdown and Spectre fixes land in the CIP kernel and CIP
Members are informed about the current situation.

* Review of platform specific backported patches, specially from Renesas
platforms.

Comment: Renesas backports patches to 4.4 from mainline that are reviewed and
merged into CIP kernel when appropriate.

* CIP 4.4.120-cip120-rt13 released

Link: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wagi/linux-cip-rt.git

Comment: I would name Daniel Wagner, Siemens, as maintainer and say a few
words about the release process if you have time.

## Kernel testing

* B at D is being updated to include the latest kernelci

Link: https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/board-at-desk-single-dev/
merge_requests/53

* Work in progress to support Renesas iw20gm in B at D in the coming weeks.

Link: https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/testing/issues/167

* Improvements in networking and Vagrant configurations.

* Next steps: deployment through containers.

* B at D description and deploy.

ciptestingboardatdesksingledevfeaturepage

Deploy: https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/
ciptestingboardatdeskdingledevdeployment#b-d-deployment-method-2-building-vm-
from-scratch-using-vagrant-15

Any additional feedback from participants on this list is welcome.

Best Regards
--
Agust?n Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant

* [cip-dev] Progress on the CIP kernel maintenance and testing for your ELC talk
@ 2018-03-13 16:26 ` Zoran S
From: Zoran S @ 2018-03-13 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Augustin,

I have update on iwg20m... Straight to the newest kernel
4.4.120-cip20-rt13! ;-)

You write:

> Work in progress to support Renesas iw20gm in B at D in the coming weeks.
> Link: https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/testing/issues/167

I spent today whole day home alone to play with board (called
iW-RainboW-G20D), based on iwg20m which was given to me by Jan (Kiszka).

It has RENESAS r8a7743 (armv7h, if I am not mistaken), and it is quite an
interesting board, I must admit).

The task: make it compliant with CIP VM Lava testing in one (1) one single
day, since I do not have too much experience with this board.

This one is initial which was used by Lava 2017.7 bring-up.

I was able today to do the following:
[1] Add passthrough to the Vagrantfile, so I can have iwg20m ser2net on the
VM;
[2] Create the new device-type in Lava: /etc/lava-server/dispatcher-
config/device-types/iwg2x.jinja
[3] Add this device type to Lava using Django management, with several
tests to see how the device type iwg2x behaves;
[4] Add the concrete device to device type: /etc/lava-server/dispatcher-
config/devices/iwg20m.jinja;
[5] Handled/prepared the newest kernel CIP 4.4.120-cip20 (released last
week, by Daniel Wagner);
     v4.4.120-cip20-iwg20m/v4.4.120-cip20-rt13
     https://pastebin.com/gv0cg3PD

Now, after some triages, and some .jinja2 fixes, some u-boot adjustments in
the device-type script, I was able to run the Lava .yaml test on raminitfs.

It behaves correctly (local/private network is the problem here) till it
needs to start kernel, which it tftp-ed correctly from localhost://8010 ---
where kernel ingredients are located.

But, it fails since it looses a mac/physical address, it seems. So,
something is not correct with ETH100/ETH1000 driver, since I see these
problems popping up again, and again, and again... But my dhcpd daemon is
very robust, and it keeps pounding/adding lost address to the ETH on
Renesas board.

The .yaml test I am running to test this board is here: job_name:
local test of ramdisk test on iwg20
https://pastebin.com/8ngYQzha

And the Lava initramfs test results are captured here:
https://pastebin.com/AjRdTZKx

Please, note the point of failure:

## Flattened Device Tree blob at 40f00000
   Booting using the fdt blob at 0x40f00000
   Using Device Tree in place at 40f00000, end 40f09094
*Unable to update property <NULL>:mac-address, err=FDT_ERR_BADPATH*
*Unable to update property <NULL>:local-mac-address, err=FDT_ERR_BADPATH*
*Unable to update property /iwg20m_q7_common:vin2-ov5640,
err=FDT_ERR_NOTFOUND*
*Starting kernel ...*
end: 2.4.3 bootloader-commands (duration 00:00:58) [common]
start: 2.4.4 auto-login-action (timeout 00:04:00) [common]
boot_message is being deprecated in favour of kernel-start-message in
constants
auto-login-action: Wait for prompt ['Booting Linux', 'Resetting CPU', *'Must
RESET board to recover', 'TIMEOUT', 'Retry count exceeded', 'ERROR: The
remote end did not respond in time.'] *(timeout 00:05:00)
auto-login-action timed out after 240 seconds

Any guidance/help from Renesas people and others on The Far East using this
iwg20m technology is appreciated and welcome!

Thank you,
Zoran Stojsavljevic
_______
On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 3:58 PM, Agust?n Benito Bethencourt <
agustin.benito@codethink.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Yoshi,
>
> since you usually provide an update of the technical work done within CIP
> in
> your talks, here are some bullet points you can add in tomorrow's talk at
> ELC
> if you like.
>
> ## Kernel maintenance
>
> * CIP 4.4.120-cip20 released last week.
>
> Link: https://gitlab.com/cip-project/linux-cip
>
> Comment: Ben Hutchings, from Codethink, releases a kernel version every 4
> to 6
> weeks approx., depending on the amount and relevance of upstream patches
> landing on 4.4 LTS. Ben H. collaborates in the 4.4 LTS process directly.
>
> * Effort in ensuring Meltdown and Spectre fixes land in the CIP kernel and
> CIP
> Members are informed about the current situation.
>
> * Review of platform specific backported patches, specially from Renesas
> platforms.
>
> Comment: Renesas backports patches to 4.4 from mainline that are reviewed
> and
> merged into CIP kernel when appropriate.
>
> * CIP 4.4.120-cip120-rt13 released
>
> Link: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wagi/linux-cip-rt.git
>
> Comment: I would name Daniel Wagner, Siemens, as maintainer and say a few
> words about the release process if you have time.
>
> ## Kernel testing
>
> * B at D is being updated to include the latest kernelci
>
> Link: https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/board-at-desk-single-dev/
> merge_requests/53
> <https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/board-at-desk-single-dev/merge_requests/53>
>
> * Work in progress to support Renesas iw20gm in B at D in the coming weeks.
>
> Link: https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/testing/issues/167
>
> * Improvements in networking and Vagrant configurations.
>
> * Next steps: deployment through containers.
>
> * B at D description and deploy.

> ciptestingboardatdesksingledevfeaturepage
>
> Deploy: https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/
> ciptestingboardatdeskdingledevdeployment#b-d-deployment-meth
> od-2-building-vm-
> from-scratch-using-vagrant-15
> <https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/ciptestingboardatdeskdingledevdeployment#b-d-deployment-method-2-building-vm-from-scratch-using-vagrant-15>
>
> Any additional feedback from participants on this list is welcome.
>
> Best Regards
> --
> Agust?n Benito Bethencourt
> Principal Consultant
> Codethink Ltd

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [cip-dev] Progress on the CIP kernel maintenance and testing for your ELC talk
@ 2018-03-14  5:55 ` KOBAYASHI Yoshitake
From: KOBAYASHI Yoshitake @ 2018-03-14  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Agustin,

Thanks a lot. I will include it to my slide.

Best regards,
Yoshi

@ 2018-03-23 10:55   ` Chris Paterson
From: Chris Paterson @ 2018-03-23 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Zoran,

Sorry for the slow response.

Could you try setting the following in u-boot?

setenv bootm_low '0x41e00000'

setenv bootm_size '0x1000000'

Looking at https://pastebin.com/AjRdTZKx, line 268, you are setting:

setenv bootargs 'console=ttyO0,115200n8 root=/dev/ram0  ip=dhcp';

I?m guessing the console should be set to ttySC0.

If you still see no output from the Kernel, have you tried enabling low-level debugging?

CONFIG_DEBUG_LL, CONFIG_DEBUG_RCAR_GEN2_SCIF0, CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK

Kind regards, Chris

Link: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wagi/linux-cip-rt.git<http://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wagi/linux-cip-rt.git>

@ 2018-03-23 14:19     ` Zoran S
From: Zoran S @ 2018-03-23 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Chris,

And so li'll I have requested (namely this: console=*ttySC0*)! It does the
magic... It works, man! Works with:
uname -a
*Linux 192.168.15.189 4.4.120-cip20-rt13-dirty* #2 SMP Tue Mar 13 15:21:30
GMT 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

Within one day I set the whole iwg2x device type and iwg20m device
forU-Boot and Lava V2:
vagrant at stretch:~$ dpkg -l lava-server lava-dispatcher
||/ Name                    Version          Architecture     Description
+++-=======================-================-================-===================================================
ii  lava-dispatcher         2018.2.post2-1+s amd64            Linaro
Automated Validation Architecture dispatcher
ii  lava-server             2018.2-1+stretch all              Linaro
Automated Validation Architecture server
vagrant at stretch:~$

And I missed the one very small step for me, but very big for my Alter Ego
Confidence... ;-)

And, yes, I did NOT try it with U-Boot, I went straight to VBox VM, to Lava
2018.2 and set all the ingredients (3 of them) in the iwg2x device type
definition, namely in iwg2x.jinja2:

*{% set console_device = console_device|default('ttySC0') %}*
{% set baud_rate = baud_rate|default(115200) %}
{% set device_type = "iwg2x" %}
{% set bootm_kernel_addr = '0x40007fc0' %}
{% set bootm_ramdisk_addr = '0x41000000' %}
{% set bootm_dtb_addr = '0x40f00000' %}

*{% set bootm_low = '0x41e00000' %}{% set bootm_size = '0x1000000' %}*

It works (with difficulties) with the natively generated
r8a7743-iwg20d-q7.dtb'.

Filename '149/tftp-deploy-rkMXw2/dtb/r8a7743-iwg20d-q7.dtb'.
Load address: 0x40f00000
     3.9 KiB/s
done
Bytes transferred = 24725 (6095 hex)
   Image Name:
   Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    5861271 Bytes = 5.6 MiB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
## Flattened Device Tree blob at 40f00000
   Booting using the fdt blob at 0x40f00000
   Using Device Tree in place at 40f00000, end 40f09094

*Unable to update property <NULL>:mac-address, err=FDT_ERR_BADPATHUnable to
update property <NULL>:local-mac-address, err=FDT_ERR_BADPATHUnable to
update property /iwg20m_q7_common:vin2-ov5640, err=FDT_ERR_NOTFOUNDStarting
kernel ...*

Wow! Now, I am for last few days (few hours per day) trying (very
unsuccessfully, sorry) to set Daniel's Sangorrin's: kas build
kas-iwg20m.yml in my Vbox Fedora 24 generated environment, since I
desperately need TRUE initramfs in order to make iwg20m rt-tests with
cyclic (hackbench assisting in there)!

Here is the log of the native Lava shell test commands (the most important
is uname -a):
https://pastebin.com/LKfJs4mn

Here is the iwg20m smoking test log:
https://pastebin.com/PWy4xWpG

I guess, Robert/Agustin Benito, we should close CIP testing issue #167,
shouldn't we? ;-)

Have all nice weekend!
Zoran
_______

@ 2018-03-23 14:25       ` Robert Marshall
From: Robert Marshall @ 2018-03-23 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Zoran,

Zoran S <zoran.stojsavljevic.de@gmail.com> writes:

> [...]
> Unable to update property <NULL>:mac-address, err=FDT_ERR_BADPATH
> Unable to update property <NULL>:local-mac-address, err=FDT_ERR_BADPATH
> Unable to update property /iwg20m_q7_common:vin2-ov5640, err=FDT_ERR_NOTFOUND
> Starting kernel ...
>
> Wow! Now, I am for last few days (few hours per day) trying (very unsuccessfully, sorry) to set Daniel's Sangorrin's: kas build
> kas-iwg20m.yml in my Vbox Fedora 24 generated environment, since I desperately need TRUE initramfs in order to make iwg20m rt-tests
> with cyclic (hackbench assisting in there)!
>
> Here is the log of the native Lava shell test commands (the most important is uname -a):
> https://pastebin.com/LKfJs4mn
>
> Here is the iwg20m smoking test log:
> https://pastebin.com/PWy4xWpG
>
> I guess, Robert/Agustin Benito, we should close CIP testing issue #167, shouldn't we? ;-)

Let me see if I can replicate your success first. Thanks to both for the
pointers!

Robert

@ 2018-03-23 14:39         ` Zoran S
From: Zoran S @ 2018-03-23 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Robert,

The initramfs I use (since I am just about to start talking on the
YOCTO list why I am failing on ncurses-native-5.9 while building the
iwg20d YOCTO /Jethro/Morty kas based build) is this one (the Busybox
generic one):

Creating an initramfs with BusyBox for the Beaglebone Black
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipsystembuildhowto

Everything else is true RT-4.4.120-rt13 (zImage and .dtb - both of
them: the correct rt one, and the old one from ages ago (5 years ago
generated for kernel 3.2)).

Zoran
______

@ 2018-03-23 15:09           ` Tom Pollard
From: Tom Pollard @ 2018-03-23 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Zoran

On 23/03/18 14:39, Zoran S wrote:
> Hello Robert,
>
> The initramfs I use (since I am just about to start talking on the
> YOCTO list why I am failing on ncurses-native-5.9 while building the
> iwg20d YOCTO /Jethro/Morty kas based build) is this one (the Busybox
> generic one):

I definitely had this issue when I built cip-core last year, but I can't
remember the exact fix. I believe the fix was applied in recipes-core in jethro
from poky however meta-debian provides its own ncurses recipe (a point of
divergence which adds another overhead of maintenance). A good starting point is
to turn parallel make off for problematic recipes I find, the host gcc version
is also a usual suspect. Have you tried using the container provided to rule out
host dependency mismatches?

Tom

@ 2018-03-23 15:53           ` Robert Marshall
From: Robert Marshall @ 2018-03-23 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Zoran

Hi!

Zoran S <zoran.stojsavljevic.de@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Robert,
>
> The initramfs I use (since I am just about to start talking on the
> YOCTO list why I am failing on ncurses-native-5.9 while building the
> iwg20d YOCTO /Jethro/Morty kas based build) is this one (the Busybox
> generic one):
>
> Creating an initramfs with BusyBox for the Beaglebone Black
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipsystembuildhowto
>
> Everything else is true RT-4.4.120-rt13 (zImage and .dtb - both of
> them: the correct rt one, and the old one from ages ago (5 years ago
> generated for kernel 3.2)).

Can you update the  #167 ticket with the full settings that you're using
- so device and device-type as well as the health check - or link them to
pastebins and I'll take a look at it when I'm back on Wednesday

Have a good weekend!

Robert

@ 2018-03-27  7:39             ` Zoran S
From: Zoran S @ 2018-03-27  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Tom,

I do not use containers. In this case, to restore old Jethro context,
I use VBox VM, and there I did install F24 EOL.

I did switch off one core (since the maximum I can dedicate ti VM is
2). So, the error repeats itself:

[user at localhost cip-core]$ nproc --all
1
[user at localhost cip-core]$ cd /sys/devices/system/cpu/
[user at localhost cpu]$ pwd
/sys/devices/system/cpu
[user at localhost cpu]$ ls -al
total 0
drwxr-xr-x. 7 root root    0 Mar 27 08:54 .
drwxr-xr-x. 9 root root    0 Mar 27 08:54 ..
drwxr-xr-x. 6 root root    0 Mar 27 08:54 cpu0
drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root    0 Mar 27 09:02 cpufreq
drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root    0 Mar 27 09:02 cpuidle
drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root    0 Mar 27 09:02 hotplug
-r--r--r--. 1 root root 4096 Mar 27 08:54 isolated
-r--r--r--. 1 root root 4096 Mar 27 09:02 kernel_max
-r--r--r--. 1 root root 4096 Mar 27 09:02 modalias
-r--r--r--. 1 root root 4096 Mar 27 08:54 nohz_full
-r--r--r--. 1 root root 4096 Mar 27 09:02 offline
-r--r--r--. 1 root root 4096 Mar 27 08:54 online
-r--r--r--. 1 root root 4096 Mar 27 09:02 possible
drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root    0 Mar 27 09:02 power
-r--r--r--. 1 root root 4096 Mar 27 09:02 present
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 4096 Mar 27 08:54 uevent
[user at localhost cpu]$

Then, I left it as is, and listened to your advice. Instead of:
    BB_NUMBER_THREADS ?= "${@oe.utils.cpu_count()}"
    PARALLEL_MAKE ?= "-j ${@oe.utils.cpu_count()}"

which in this case (for the full working config should be 2, but it is
anyway 1 for such a case), I did:
    BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "1"
    PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j 1"

Which is nothing more than pleonasm (making once more what was done
before, doubling the effort).

The result (what I 100% expected) was the same.

Anyway, I fixed this problem as quick hack of another VBox VM (this
time F23 EOL), using:
https://elinux.org/RZ-G/Boards/Yocto_2.0

This worked perfectly for me (as normal number of threads -> 2).

Thank you,
Zoran
______

@ 2018-03-27 12:26             ` Zoran S
From: Zoran S @ 2018-03-27 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Added some recent testing comments to the #167

Zoran

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 4:53 PM, Robert Marshall