* 4.19-rc3 incompatible with nvidia driver
@ 2018-09-16 18:47 Daan Wendelen
From: Daan Wendelen @ 2018-09-16 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

The latest nvidia driver is incompatible with 4.19-rc3 because
"drm_mode_connector_update_edid_property" got renamed to
"drm_connector_update_edid_property" and
"drm_mode_connector_attach_encoder" to "drm_connector_attach_encoder" in
the linux headers.

Is this considered the fault of linux or is it considered nvidia's
responsibility to fix this?

If it's considered regression in the Linux kernel, to who (/ which mailing
list) do I report this?

Daan
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* 4.19-rc3 incompatible with nvidia driver
@ 2018-09-20 13:15 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2018-09-20 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 08:47:41PM +0200, Daan Wendelen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The latest nvidia driver is incompatible with 4.19-rc3 because
> "drm_mode_connector_update_edid_property" got renamed to
> "drm_connector_update_edid_property" and
> "drm_mode_connector_attach_encoder" to "drm_connector_attach_encoder" in
> the linux headers.
>
> Is this considered the fault of linux or is it considered nvidia's
> responsibility to fix this?

How can the kernel developers change code in a closed source external
body of source?  Hint, it's nvidia's responsibility :)

thanks,

greg k-h

* 4.19-rc3 incompatible with nvidia driver
@ 2018-09-20 14:11 ` valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
From: valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2018-09-20 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 20:47:41 +0200, Daan Wendelen said:

> The latest nvidia driver is incompatible with 4.19-rc3 because
> "drm_mode_connector_update_edid_property" got renamed to
> "drm_connector_update_edid_property" and
> "drm_mode_connector_attach_encoder" to "drm_connector_attach_encoder" in
> the linux headers.
>
> Is this considered the fault of linux or is it considered nvidia's
> responsibility to fix this?

The short form:

Out of tree modules are the problem of their maintainers. Kernel support
is basically limited to not intentionally breaking the basic mechanism for
compiling an out-of-tree module.

The long form:

Documentation/process/stable-api-nonsense.rst - go read it.
From: Daan Wendelen @ 2018-09-21 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Greg,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to answer
my question. I know that you are a busy man.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 03:15:30PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> How can the kernel developers change code in a closed source external
> body of source?  Hint, it's nvidia's responsibility :)

I do not expect this from kernel developers, that would be unreasonable.
I was referring to API stability, but Valdis Kletnieks addressed that question.

Daan

* 4.19-rc3 incompatible with nvidia driver
@ 2018-09-21 22:29   ` Daan Wendelen
From: Daan Wendelen @ 2018-09-21 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Valdis,

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 10:11:50AM -0400, valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> The short form:
>
> Out of tree modules are the problem of their maintainers. Kernel support
> is basically limited to not intentionally breaking the basic mechanism for
> compiling an out-of-tree module.
>
> The long form:
>
> Documentation/process/stable-api-nonsense.rst - go read it.

Thank you for this information, this was exactly what I was looking for.

Daan