* RF class driver
@ 2016-09-20 12:32 Raul Piper
From: Raul Piper @ 2016-09-20 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,
I was looking at the different class of the drivers and wanted to know in
which class will the RF transciever will fall. Network driver or the IIO
driver.How to get the maintainer list name for the same,
I ran get_maintainer.pl but couldnt figure out who will be the maintainer
for the same.
Rgs,
Rp
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* RF class driver
@ 2016-09-20 12:43 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2016-09-20 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 06:02:56PM +0530, Raul Piper wrote:
> Hi,
> I was looking at the different class of the drivers and wanted to know in which
> class will the RF transciever will fall. Network driver or the IIO driver.How
> to get the maintainer list name for the same,?
> I ran get_maintainer.pl but couldnt figure out who will be the maintainer for
> the same.

What driver exactly are you referring to?  An existing in-kernel one, or
one that you wish to submit to the kernel tree?

thanks,

greg k-h

* RF class driver
@ 2016-09-20 12:45   ` Raul Piper
From: Raul Piper @ 2016-09-20 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Tree,before that want to have a look at example RF drivers - Sub Ghz
Transcievers
Rgds,Rp

@ 2016-09-21  7:43     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2016-09-21  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

A: No.

http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 06:15:46PM +0530, Raul Piper wrote:
> Tree,before that want to have a look at?example RF drivers - Sub Ghz
> Transcievers

I can not understand what you are saying here, please explain further.

thanks,

greg k-h

* RF class driver
@ 2016-09-21  9:39       ` Raul Piper
From: Raul Piper @ 2016-09-21  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 1:13 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.
>
> A: No.
> Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?
>

> http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top
>
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 06:15:46PM +0530, Raul Piper wrote:
>> Tree,before that want to have a look at example RF drivers - Sub Ghz
>> Transcievers
>
> I can not understand what you are saying here, please explain further.
 I wanted to know in which class RF Transceivers - (Sub 1 -Ghz
devices) Linux drivers will fall and where to find them in Linux
kernel ,
 I grepped keywords like Ghz, Sub , and it leads me to the folder
drivers/net/wireless/* but I am not getting whether they refer to the
RF class of drivers or something else.Is there a framework for them or
all will come under Wireless device drivers or network device
drivers?What is the appropriate mailing list for the same?

Few example of such devices are -

Sub-1 GHz CC1120-CC1190 - From Texas Instruments

nRF905 - From Nordic Semiconductor

nRF9E5 - From Nordic Semiconductor

nRF24L01 - From Texas Instruments

Si4455  - From Silicon Labs
OL23xx  - From Nxp.

I am writing a device driver for the one of the new RF device and
wanted to refer few examples before that.
Rgds,
Rp

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

* RF class driver
@ 2016-09-21 10:08         ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2016-09-21 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 03:09:09PM +0530, Raul Piper wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 1:13 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
>  I wanted to know in which class RF Transceivers - (Sub 1 -Ghz
> devices) Linux drivers will fall and where to find them in Linux
> kernel ,
>  I grepped keywords like Ghz, Sub , and it leads me to the folder
> drivers/net/wireless/* but I am not getting whether they refer to the
> RF class of drivers or something else.

Those are wireless networking drivers.

linux-wireless at vger.kernel.org

> Few example of such devices are -
>
> Sub-1 GHz CC1120-CC1190 - From Texas Instruments
>
> nRF905 - From Nordic Semiconductor
>
> nRF9E5 - From Nordic Semiconductor
>
> nRF24L01 - From Texas Instruments
>
> Si4455  - From Silicon Labs
> OL23xx  - From Nxp.

Those are almost always integrated directly into a wifi chipset, and not
independant.  If you have an independant device, the GNU Radio project
might be a good thing to look into.

good luck!

greg k-h

* RF class driver
@ 2016-09-21 12:43           ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2016-09-21 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I have a driver for nRF24L01+ (not L0) I'm planing to submit it to
main line but before that I was trying to make it a network device. My
dificult was to make it fit in the ethernet world since it does not
have anything in common to a network card. This one can be found here:
https://bitbucket.org/danielhilst/nrf24 the network try is here, but
is not finished: https://bitbucket.org/danielhilst/nrf24l01p

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 03:09:09PM +0530, Raul Piper wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 1:13 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
>>  I wanted to know in which class RF Transceivers - (Sub 1 -Ghz
>> devices) Linux drivers will fall and where to find them in Linux
>> kernel ,
>>  I grepped keywords like Ghz, Sub , and it leads me to the folder
>> drivers/net/wireless/* but I am not getting whether they refer to the
>> RF class of drivers or something else.
>
> Those are wireless networking drivers.
>
>> Is there a framework for them or
>> all will come under Wireless device drivers or network device
>> drivers?What is the appropriate mailing list for the same?
>
> linux-wireless at vger.kernel.org
>
>> Few example of such devices are -
>>
>> Sub-1 GHz CC1120-CC1190 - From Texas Instruments
>>
>> nRF905 - From Nordic Semiconductor
>>
>> nRF9E5 - From Nordic Semiconductor
>>
>> nRF24L01 - From Texas Instruments
>>
>> Si4455  - From Silicon Labs
>> OL23xx  - From Nxp.
>
> Those are almost always integrated directly into a wifi chipset, and not
> independant.  If you have an independant device, the GNU Radio project
> might be a good thing to look into.
>
> good luck!
>
> greg k-h

"Do or do not. There is no try"
  Yoda Master

* RF class driver
@ 2016-09-21 12:57             ` Hayward, Shaun
From: Hayward, Shaun @ 2016-09-21 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

It might be worth taking a look at the Socket CAN drivers (https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/can.txt). It?s not the same type of hardware as the RF devices you?re working with, but it is a case where a network interface was created for devices that are very different than Ethernet.

Shaun

On 9/21/16, 8:43 AM, "kernelnewbies-bounces at kernelnewbies.org on behalf of Daniel." <kernelnewbies-bounces at kernelnewbies.org on behalf of danielhilst@gmail.com> wrote:

    I have a driver for nRF24L01+ (not L0) I'm planing to submit it to
    main line but before that I was trying to make it a network device. My
    dificult was to make it fit in the ethernet world since it does not
    have anything in common to a network card. This one can be found here:
    https://bitbucket.org/danielhilst/nrf24 the network try is here, but
    is not finished: https://bitbucket.org/danielhilst/nrf24l01p

    > On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 03:09:09PM +0530, Raul Piper wrote:
    >> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 1:13 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
    >>  I wanted to know in which class RF Transceivers - (Sub 1 -Ghz
    >> devices) Linux drivers will fall and where to find them in Linux
    >> kernel ,
    >>  I grepped keywords like Ghz, Sub , and it leads me to the folder
    >> drivers/net/wireless/* but I am not getting whether they refer to the
    >> RF class of drivers or something else.
    >
    > Those are wireless networking drivers.
    >
    >> Is there a framework for them or
    >> all will come under Wireless device drivers or network device
    >> drivers?What is the appropriate mailing list for the same?
    >
    > linux-wireless at vger.kernel.org
    >
    >> Few example of such devices are -
    >>
    >> Sub-1 GHz CC1120-CC1190 - From Texas Instruments
    >>
    >> nRF905 - From Nordic Semiconductor
    >>
    >> nRF9E5 - From Nordic Semiconductor
    >>
    >> nRF24L01 - From Texas Instruments
    >>
    >> Si4455  - From Silicon Labs
    >> OL23xx  - From Nxp.
    >
    > Those are almost always integrated directly into a wifi chipset, and not
    > independant.  If you have an independant device, the GNU Radio project
    > might be a good thing to look into.
    >
    > good luck!
    >
    > greg k-h

    "Do or do not. There is no try"
      Yoda Master

* RF class driver
@ 2016-09-21 13:05               ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2016-09-21 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I look into it,

Still I need to patch if_ether.h and add some ETH_P_*

"Do or do not. There is no try"
  Yoda Master

* RF class driver
@ 2016-09-21 13:07                 ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2016-09-21 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I was trying to make it out-of-tree, but seems not possible or not
easy spottable for me :)

--
"Do or do not. There is no try"
  Yoda Master