From: Lin Ming <minggr@gmail.com>
To: Laura Abbott <lauraa@codeaurora.org>
Cc: Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org>,
	linux-mm <linux-mm@kvack.org>,
	"linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org"
	<linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org>
Subject: Re: kmalloc and uncached memory
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:28:45 -0700	[thread overview]

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Laura Abbott <lauraa@codeaurora.org> wrote:
> On 4/16/2014 11:50 AM, Lin Ming wrote:

>>> No, that will not work. lowmem pages are mapped with 1MB sections underneath
>>> which cannot be (easily) changed at runtime. You really want to be using
>>> dma_alloc_coherent here.
>>
>> For "lowmem pages", do you mean the first 16M physical memory?
>> How about that if I only use highmem pages(>16M)?
>>

> By lowmem pages I am referring to the direct mapped kernel area. Highmem refers
> to pages which do not have a permanent mapping in the kernel address space. If
> you are calling kmalloc with GFP_KERNEL you will be getting a page from the lowmem
> region.

Thanks for the explanation.

> What's the reason you can't use dma_alloc_coherent?

I'm actually testing WIFI RX performance on a ARM based AP.
WIFI to Ethernet traffic, that is WIFI driver RX packets and then
Ethernet driver TX packets.

I used dma_alloc_coherent() to allocate uncached buffer in WIFI driver
to receive packets.
But then Ethernet driver can't send packets successfully.

If I used kmalloc() to allocate buffers in WIFI driver, then everything is OK.

I know this is too platform/drivers specific problem, but any
suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks.

From: minggr@gmail.com (Lin Ming)
To: linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org