* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2015-12-22 19:27 Daniel.
       [not found] ` <CAJX_Q+2AOXLM=XWsSYzUbpG=MKH+p2D1Xf2k7xGFrQdn=_zPTQ@mail.gmail.com>
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Daniel. @ 2015-12-22 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

My boss came to my desk today raiging that I should use more productive
tools for developing. Well I don't want to begin an editor war but, yes, I
use emacs. I used to use vim before but the integration of emacs and gdb
has caught my attention.

To be clear, as "more productive tools" he understands graphical eye candy
tools. My argument to use an "simple editor plus makefiles" was, it just
works and thats it. So before to downloading eclipse just to make my boss's
eyes happy I've decided to make a little research.

What you guys are using today to develope kenrel code?

Best Regards,
- dhs

--
*"Do or do not. There is no try"*
  *Yoda Master*

@ 2015-12-22 21:26   ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2015-12-22 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hey Lucas, thanks for the reply. Did you use gdb inside eclipse? It works
fine? For code browsing I use cscope.

Best Regards,
-dhs

@ 2015-12-22 21:43     ` Lucas Tanure
From: Lucas Tanure @ 2015-12-22 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

No, I don't use gdb inside eclipse. I rarely use gdb.

@ 2015-12-22 22:15     ` Clemens Gruber
From: Clemens Gruber @ 2015-12-22 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Daniel,

> My boss came to my desk today raiging that I should use more productive
> tools for developing. Well I don't want to begin an editor war but, yes, I
> use emacs. I used to use vim before but the integration of emacs and gdb
> has caught my attention.

emacs and vim are both very powerful editors, each with their own pros
and cons, but both very suitable for developing code!
I don't think it's a good idea for a boss to force his devs into using
some GUI IDE like Eclipse.
Personally, I don't like it because it is slow (Hi Java!) and does too much
stuff which I do not need when writing and debugging non-Java code.

If you are already used to Emacs and gdb mode, that's great.

Recently I am more and more using (g)vim and discovered a nice vim plugin:
NERDTree https://github.com/scrooloose/nerdtree (A tree explorer plugin)

Oh and there is also cgdb: https://github.com/cgdb/cgdb

Cheers,
Clemens

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2015-12-22 22:41       ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2015-12-22 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I rarely use it too, but some times its worth, when you get something that
simply crash, I do a bt to get an starting point :)

@ 2015-12-23  0:06       ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2015-12-23  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I was thinking about back to vim, it starts so fast and has everything you
need in tree letters, and the completion works out of box. I never get the
completion really working with emacs. I remember that was coding with Lua
headers and the completion crashed :( I just give up on it, who needs auto
completion..

I'll give vim a second chance :)

Regards

       [not found] ` <4E5779AD88B2F040B8A7E83ECF544D1A64AC5F@SJCPEX01CL03.citrite.net>
@ 2015-12-23  1:18   ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2015-12-23  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hey Jeff, thanks for the reply, what I realy don't like in IDEs is tying
building and editing at same tool. I'm a simple guy so I like to keep
things simple. I never heard of anybody using IDE's for building C code in
linux.

I'm considering back to vim since emacs indenting is making me crazy

Regards

--

@ 2015-12-23 13:30     ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2015-12-23 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Well, no body except Lucas, but I also had never researched for this
like I'm doing right now. I think that the vim is still the more used
editor for C programming on Linux.

Regards
- dhs

--
"Do or do not. There is no try"
  Yoda Master

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2015-12-23 14:45       ` amit mehta
From: amit mehta @ 2015-12-23 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 3:30 PM, Daniel. <danielhilst@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, no body except Lucas, but I also had never researched for this
> like I'm doing right now. I think that the vim is still the more used
> editor for C programming on Linux.

Emacs has really awkward key stroke combinations; I hate it.
OTOH, VIM has simple key remapping if needed and has
awesome plugin support; Plugins such as YouCompleteMe,
NerdTree and TagBar turns vim into a blown up IDE, without
loosing any of the VIM's core features. It's amazing for me,
that, despite using VIM for about 8 years now, I still find
new capabilities of VIM. Even though, this [1] blog is about Emacs,
I totally agree with the author, that to learn Emacs or become
comfortable with Emacs, one has to spend 10 years or more with
it and and in my opinion this is equally true with any other technology.

Also, watch some kool tricks to make vim run on asteroid
by Damian Conway [2]

[1] http://edward.oconnor.cx/2009/07/learn-emacs-in-ten-years
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHm36-na4-4

- Amit

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2015-12-23 17:20         ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2015-12-23 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Amit

I agree that it takes a lot of time to have domain on any tool, and
yes, the key strokes are awkward but you can get used to it. I've
spended a lot of time reading about elisp to get somewhere with emacs,
I think in elisp being the big strenght and weakness of emacs. It's
not eye friendly or even fast but you can do almost anything. I really
can't think that emacs can be usable without an 20 lines .emacs, mine
having more than 100. One thing that holds me at emacs is an nice
plugin to access pastebin pastes. I use as my personal knowledge base,
pasting, listing and deleting from pastebin, all inside emacs. I've
also had to write a little function to download plugins that I use at
first emacs run.

I think that the Ctrl key strokes on emacs are faster to hand than the
command/insert modes of vim, but this is just a matter of praticing.
The window navigation on vim is a lot more convenient, at emacs we
have just Ctrl+o to go to another window, while in vim you can switch
using directional keys (hjkl). This can be customized, well everything
can be customized, if not with plugins it can be done at source level
(yay, freedom \o/), but who wants to maintain that lot of
customizations? With vim you can redirect the input to a buffer vim
`somecommand | vim -' with emacs you can, but is not that simple. I
think that vim has better integration with shell commands through the
% sign inside commands so you can parse and filter current buffer
using default shell commands, in emacs you should keep with
"interactive commands", they are fine and is easy to write new ones.

I have no experience with vim plugin language but the syntax is a much
more clear than elisp. The .vim is much smaller and more readable than
.emacs files. The other thing that I is pissing me off in emacs is its
auto-indentention. Its really intrusive and hard to turn it off.

I've being using emacs for the last 3 years. Its really fun, elisp is
really powerful, IMHO the main drawback of emacs is having an longer
learning curve (because of elisp) and slower startup time. Vim has
everything that a good editor needs, emacs has this a lot of lots of
more, this make it a little fat.

So we have 3 vim users, one emacs and one eclipse so far.

Best Regards,
- dhs

--
"Do or do not. There is no try"
  Yoda Master

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2015-12-24 11:59         ` Andrey Skvortsov
From: Andrey Skvortsov @ 2015-12-24 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 22 Dec, Daniel. wrote:
> I was thinking about back to vim, it starts so fast and has everything you
> need in tree letters, and the completion works out of box.
If you are bothered by slow start of emacs, you can look at emacsdaemon.
You start emacs only once, afterwards just connect to started emacs
session.

> I never get the
> completion really working with emacs. I remember that was coding with Lua
> headers and the completion crashed :( I just give up on it, who needs auto
> completion..
>
> I'll give vim a second chance :)
>
> Regards
> Em 22/12/2015 20:15, "Clemens Gruber" <clemens.gruber@pqgruber.com>
> escreveu:
>
> > Hi Daniel,
> >
> > > My boss came to my desk today raiging that I should use more productive
> > > tools for developing. Well I don't want to begin an editor war but, yes,
> > > use emacs. I used to use vim before but the integration of emacs and gdb
> > > has caught my attention.
> >
> > emacs and vim are both very powerful editors, each with their own pros
> > and cons, but both very suitable for developing code!
> > I don't think it's a good idea for a boss to force his devs into using
> > some GUI IDE like Eclipse.
> > Personally, I don't like it because it is slow (Hi Java!) and does too much
> > stuff which I do not need when writing and debugging non-Java code.
> >
> > If you are already used to Emacs and gdb mode, that's great.
> >
> > Recently I am more and more using (g)vim and discovered a nice vim plugin:
> > NERDTree https://github.com/scrooloose/nerdtree (A tree explorer plugin)
> >
> > Oh and there is also cgdb: https://github.com/cgdb/cgdb
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Clemens

Best regards,
Andrey Skvortsov

Secure eMail with gnupg: See http://www.gnupg.org/
PGP Key ID: 0x57A3AEAD
* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2015-12-24 13:57           ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2015-12-24 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I had heard about emacs server, but never tried it.. This should fix the
starting time, but not the learning curve :)

Regards,

@ 2015-12-24 15:41           ` Ruben Safir
From: Ruben Safir @ 2015-12-24 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

EMACs might work better if they took LISP out of it and adopted it for a
QWERTY keyboard....

Not that we should have an VI EMAC war.

Ruben

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 02:59:13PM +0300, Andrey Skvortsov wrote:
> On 22 Dec, Daniel. wrote:
> > I was thinking about back to vim, it starts so fast and has everything you
> > need in tree letters, and the completion works out of box.
> If you are bothered by slow start of emacs, you can look at emacsdaemon.
> You start emacs only once, afterwards just connect to started emacs
> session.
>
> > I never get the
> > completion really working with emacs. I remember that was coding with Lua
> > headers and the completion crashed :( I just give up on it, who needs auto
> > completion..
> >
> > I'll give vim a second chance :)
> >
> > Regards
> > Em 22/12/2015 20:15, "Clemens Gruber" <clemens.gruber@pqgruber.com>
> > escreveu:
> >
> > > Hi Daniel,

> > > emacs and vim are both very powerful editors, each with their own pros
> > > and cons, but both very suitable for developing code!
> > > I don't think it's a good idea for a boss to force his devs into using
> > > some GUI IDE like Eclipse.
> > > Personally, I don't like it because it is slow (Hi Java!) and does too much
> > > stuff which I do not need when writing and debugging non-Java code.
> > >
> > > If you are already used to Emacs and gdb mode, that's great.
> > >
> > > Recently I am more and more using (g)vim and discovered a nice vim plugin:
> > > NERDTree https://github.com/scrooloose/nerdtree (A tree explorer plugin)
> > >
> > > Oh and there is also cgdb: https://github.com/cgdb/cgdb
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Clemens

> Best regards,
> Andrey Skvortsov
>
> Secure eMail with gnupg: See http://www.gnupg.org/
> PGP Key ID: 0x57A3AEAD

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2015-12-24 17:33             ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2015-12-24 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Not a war at all, I agree that elisp is more bad than good, and is seems a
little slow to me..

@ 2015-12-24 18:43             ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2015-12-24 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 10:41:36 -0500, Ruben Safir said:
> EMACs might work better if they took LISP out of it and adopted it for a
> QWERTY keyboard....

Doing something about the keymappings would probably help, as currently a
lot of the most common sequences require use of weaker fingers (in particular,
control-anything beats on your left pinky on most keyboards).  The problem
is that there's no good keys to remap *to* where the first and second fingers
of either hand can easily reach it (Sorry, F5-F8 are too much of a stretch
on most hardware).

The only *real* fix is to go to a non-querty keyboard.  Here's one that
looks promising - the "key-cluster" module gives you 3 keys that will sit
at a convenient place for your left thumb...

https://www.crowdsupply.com/ugl/ultimate-hacking-keyboard/updates/1929

(Note - I haven't actually bought into that one, just an example of what
would be needed.  There's a lot of even more extreme ergonomic keyboards
that would also be plausible.  But few people want to drop $250-$400 just
to make Emacs more usable.)

As far as taking elisp out - Nope.  Complete non-starter, because the reason
that Emacs is powerful is because you can use elisp to configure, and more
importantly extend, the editor.  For instance, look at this collection
of Emacs interfaces to Git:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Git

and remember that *all* of those are almost certainly written in 100% elisp.
* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2015-12-24 20:13               ` Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard
From: Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard @ 2015-12-24 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 24/12/2015 19:43, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> Doing something about the keymappings would probably help, as currently a
> lot of the most common sequences require use of weaker fingers (in
> particular, control-anything beats on your left pinky on most keyboards).
> The problem is that there's no good keys to remap *to* where the first and
> second fingers of either hand can easily reach it (Sorry, F5-F8 are too
> much of a stretch on most hardware).

I remapped caps lock to control and find it very convenient to have a control
key so close to the resting position of my left pinky. OTOH, I'm using vim, so
I'm probably not using ctrl as intensively as a Emacs user.

Manuel.

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2015-12-25  0:29               ` Ruben Safir
From: Ruben Safir @ 2015-12-25  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 12/24/2015 01:43 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> The only *real* fix is to go to a non-querty keyboard.

No, retraining and reprogramming the user is not a solution.

@ 2015-12-25  0:52                 ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2015-12-25  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 19:29:11 -0500, Ruben Safir said:
> On 12/24/2015 01:43 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> > The only *real* fix is to go to a non-querty keyboard.
>
> No, retraining and reprogramming the user is not a solution.

Then you're stuck with a control key where it's difficult for
the left pinky to get to.

Feel free to suggest remappings that are easy for an index or second finger to
reach on a querty keyboard (and which don't grab a commonly used key like 'h'
or '6' :), or some other *real* fix that isn't a partial hack and doesn't fall
into your "retraining and reprogramming" category.

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2015-12-25  1:42                   ` Ruben Safir
From: Ruben Safir @ 2015-12-25  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 12/24/2015 07:52 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 19:29:11 -0500, Ruben Safir said:
>> On 12/24/2015 01:43 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>>> The only *real* fix is to go to a non-querty keyboard.
>>
>> No, retraining and reprogramming the user is not a solution.
>
> Then you're stuck with a control key where it's difficult for
> the left pinky to get to.

As a practicle matter, if you wanted to use EMACs

caps lock is turned off all my system.  But that is just the beginning
of the problem.  EMACS is really designed fro a DVORK keyboard.

@ 2015-12-25 17:14 ` Raymond Jennings
From: Raymond Jennings @ 2015-12-25 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 11:27 AM, Daniel. <danielhilst@gmail.com> wrote:
> My boss came to my desk today raiging that I should use more
> productive tools for developing. Well I don't want to begin an editor
> war but, yes, I use emacs. I used to use vim before but the
> integration of emacs and gdb has caught my attention.
>
> To be clear, as "more productive tools" he understands graphical eye
> candy tools. My argument to use an "simple editor plus makefiles"
> was, it just works and thats it. So before to downloading eclipse
> just to make my boss's eyes happy I've decided to make a little
> research.
>
> What you guys are using today to develope kenrel code?

While in virtual console, I use midnight commander's built in editor
for the bulk of my actual dev work.

Then when I need to email anything, I switch to gui and use gedit to
open the file, copy it to the clipboard, and paste it into my email
client for patch delivery.

My criteria is "hold the text and stay the hell out of my way.  Be a
tool and don't try to do my thinking for me."

@ 2015-12-28 12:28   ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2015-12-28 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Is there anybody using cscope inside vim? Is there an alternative
keybinds for the :cs commands?

Regards,
- dhs

--
"Do or do not. There is no try"
  Yoda Master

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2015-12-28 12:57     ` Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard
From: Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard @ 2015-12-28 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

On 28/12/2015 13:28, Daniel. wrote:
> Is there anybody using cscope inside vim? Is there an alternative
> keybinds for the :cs commands?

I use this file from the cscope distribution, that defines normal mode
bindings:

http://cscope.sourceforge.net/cscope_maps.vim

Regards,
Manuel

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2015-12-28 14:05       ` Fernando Apesteguía
From: Fernando Apesteguía @ 2015-12-28 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

El 28/12/2015 13:58, "Manuel P?gouri?-Gonnard" <mpg@elzevir.fr> escribi?:

> Hi,
>
> On 28/12/2015 13:28, Daniel. wrote:
> > Is there anybody using cscope inside vim? Is there an alternative
> > keybinds for the :cs commands?
> >
> I use this file from the cscope distribution, that defines normal mode
> bindings:
>
> http://cscope.sourceforge.net/cscope_maps.vim

They're also available in the cscope help inside Vim. Once you get used to
them they're extremely useful, a real productivity booster, specially for
big projects.

@ 2015-12-28 19:11         ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2015-12-28 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

This is fun: http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/usr_41.html#script  :D

> El 28/12/2015 13:58, "Manuel P?gouri?-Gonnard" <mpg@elzevir.fr> escribi?:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 28/12/2015 13:28, Daniel. wrote:
>> > Is there anybody using cscope inside vim? Is there an alternative
>> > keybinds for the :cs commands?
>> >
>> I use this file from the cscope distribution, that defines normal mode
>> bindings:
>>
>> http://cscope.sourceforge.net/cscope_maps.vim
>>

> They're also available in the cscope help inside Vim. Once you get used to
> them they're extremely useful, a real productivity booster, specially for
> big projects.
>
>> Regards,
>> Manuel

"Do or do not. There is no try"
  Yoda Master

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2015-12-29  5:10           ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2015-12-29  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Well I found something that I use frequently on emacs and can't find
an alternative for vim. While visiting an .patch (or .diff) file from
emacs I can jump to the position of file just by pressing enter. I
just can't find something like this on vim. When developing I like to
review my changes before commit, doing little tweaks like removing
empty new lines and trailing whitespaces. On emacs I can get an diff
from the version control with C-x v =, then doing the fixes for
creating a nice patch, doing C-x v = will refresh the diff window, so
I do this until I think that is good enough. While I can get a diff
from file with %!git diff % at vim, I can't jump to modification on
file directly from the patch window. Any ideas on how to achieve this?

--
"Do or do not. There is no try"
  Yoda Master

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2015-12-29  9:50             ` Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard
From: Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard @ 2015-12-29  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 29/12/2015 06:10, Daniel. wrote:
> Well I found something that I use frequently on emacs and can't find
> an alternative for vim. While visiting an .patch (or .diff) file from
> emacs I can jump to the position of file just by pressing enter. I
> just can't find something like this on vim.

I don't know how to do this with vim either. The ftplugin/diff.vim file
from the vim runtime distribution doesn't have any such magic.

> When developing I like to
> review my changes before commit, doing little tweaks like removing
> empty new lines and trailing whitespaces. On emacs I can get an diff
> from the version control with C-x v =, then doing the fixes for
> creating a nice patch, doing C-x v = will refresh the diff window, so
> I do this until I think that is good enough.

What I use for that purpose in vim is the :Gdiff command provided by the
fugitive plugin. It splits your window between the checked out version
of your file and the version in the git index.

In addition to reviewing changes, it's also extremely useful for partial
commits when you got carried away during your editing and made an
unrelated change: you can move just the part you want to the index, then
commit that, then commit the rest. Or if you made a change you want to
revert without losing your other changes.

The usual shortcuts from vimdiff mode are available to move things
between the index and the checkout: do, dp (diff other, diff push) and
]c [c for navigating the changes.

Manuel.

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2016-01-14  0:23             ` Ismael Luceno
From: Ismael Luceno @ 2016-01-14  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 11:57:32AM -0200, Daniel. wrote:
> I had heard about emacs server, but never tried it.. This should fix the
> starting time, but not the learning curve :)

You can wrap emacsclient to automatically start emacs --daemon with a
script like this:

    #!/bin/sh
    exec emacsclient -a '' -c "$@"

You may also want to pre-compile your elisp files.

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2016-01-14  0:37               ` Geyslan G. Bem
From: Geyslan G. Bem @ 2016-01-14  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

> On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 11:57:32AM -0200, Daniel. wrote:
>> I had heard about emacs server, but never tried it.. This should fix the
>> starting time, but not the learning curve :)
>
> You can wrap emacsclient to automatically start emacs --daemon with a
> script like this:
>
>     #!/bin/sh
>     exec emacsclient -a '' -c "$@"
>
> You may also want to pre-compile your elisp files.

Themes may not load correctly when using emacs as daemon. But you can
fix (tweak) it with

;; theme
(defvar my:theme 'distinguished)
(defvar my:theme-window-loaded nil)
(defvar my:theme-terminal-loaded nil)

(if (daemonp)
    (add-hook 'after-make-frame-functions(lambda (frame)
                       (select-frame frame)
                       (if (window-system frame)
                           (unless my:theme-window-loaded
                         (if my:theme-terminal-loaded
                             (enable-theme my:theme)
                           (load-theme my:theme t))
                         (setq my:theme-window-loaded t))
                         (unless my:theme-terminal-loaded
                           (if my:theme-window-loaded
                           (enable-theme my:theme)
                         (load-theme my:theme t))
                           (setq my:theme-terminal-loaded t)))))
  (progn
    (load-theme my:theme t)
    (if (display-graphic-p)
    (setq my:theme-window-loaded t)
      (setq my:theme-terminal-loaded t))))

Geyslan G. Bem
hackingbits.com

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2016-01-14 13:06                 ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2016-01-14 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thanks for the tip, I've past the last month trying vim again, but I'll
keep with emacs anyway. I have so much code writen in elisp and my firgers
are adicted to Ctrl keystrokes, so ... I could achieve autocomplete with
company + irony + clang. One thing that realy sucks at emacs in its default
is navigating through windows. While in vim you have C-w <direction> in
emacs you have `C-x o' to go to next window and  `C-u C-x o' to go to the
previous window. I bind C-M-<direction> to navigate through windows like
vim, being <direction> one of 'p, n, b, f', but this way I lose the
backward-sexp bind (C-M-b), so I'm loking for more alternatives.

Best regards,

--

@ 2016-01-14 13:53                   ` Geyslan G. Bem
From: Geyslan G. Bem @ 2016-01-14 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

> Thanks for the tip, I've past the last month trying vim again, but I'll keep
> with emacs anyway. I have so much code writen in elisp and my firgers are
> adicted to Ctrl keystrokes, so ... I could achieve autocomplete with company
> + irony + clang. One thing that realy sucks at emacs in its default is
> navigating through windows. While in vim you have C-w <direction> in emacs
> you have `C-x o' to go to next window and  `C-u C-x o' to go to the previous
> window. I bind C-M-<direction> to navigate through windows like vim, being
> <direction> one of 'p, n, b, f', but this way I lose the backward-sexp bind
> (C-M-b), so I'm loking for more alternatives.

I think these packages can help you.

https://github.com/dimitri/switch-window
https://github.com/lukhas/buffer-move
https://github.com/nschum/window-numbering.el

Right now I'm improving the CodingStyle elisp suggestion for a better
emacs experience.

> Best regards,

>> > You can wrap emacsclient to automatically start emacs --daemon with a
>> > script like this:
>> >
>> >     #!/bin/sh
>> >     exec emacsclient -a '' -c "$@"
>> >
>> > You may also want to pre-compile your elisp files.
>>
>> Themes may not load correctly when using emacs as daemon. But you can
>> fix (tweak) it with
>>
>> ;; theme
>> (defvar my:theme 'distinguished)
>> (defvar my:theme-window-loaded nil)
>> (defvar my:theme-terminal-loaded nil)
>>
>> (if (daemonp)
>>     (add-hook 'after-make-frame-functions(lambda (frame)
>>                        (select-frame frame)
>>                        (if (window-system frame)
>>                            (unless my:theme-window-loaded
>>                          (if my:theme-terminal-loaded
>>                              (enable-theme my:theme)
>>                            (load-theme my:theme t))
>>                          (setq my:theme-window-loaded t))
>>                          (unless my:theme-terminal-loaded
>>                            (if my:theme-window-loaded
>>                            (enable-theme my:theme)
>>                          (load-theme my:theme t))
>>                            (setq my:theme-terminal-loaded t)))))
>>   (progn
>>     (load-theme my:theme t)
>>     (if (display-graphic-p)
>>     (setq my:theme-window-loaded t)
>>       (setq my:theme-terminal-loaded t))))

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Geyslan G. Bem
>> hackingbits.com
>

> --
> "Do or do not. There is no try"
>   Yoda Master

Geyslan G. Bem
hackingbits.com

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2016-01-14 14:26                   ` Geyslan G. Bem
From: Geyslan G. Bem @ 2016-01-14 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

> Thanks for the tip, I've past the last month trying vim again, but I'll keep
> with emacs anyway. I have so much code writen in elisp and my firgers are
> adicted to Ctrl keystrokes, so ... I could achieve autocomplete with company
> + irony + clang.

Why clang?

> Best regards,

>> > You can wrap emacsclient to automatically start emacs --daemon with a
>> > script like this:
>> >
>> >     #!/bin/sh
>> >     exec emacsclient -a '' -c "$@"
>> >
>> > You may also want to pre-compile your elisp files.
>>
>> Themes may not load correctly when using emacs as daemon. But you can
>> fix (tweak) it with
>>
>> ;; theme
>> (defvar my:theme 'distinguished)
>> (defvar my:theme-window-loaded nil)
>> (defvar my:theme-terminal-loaded nil)
>>
>> (if (daemonp)
>>     (add-hook 'after-make-frame-functions(lambda (frame)
>>                        (select-frame frame)
>>                        (if (window-system frame)
>>                            (unless my:theme-window-loaded
>>                          (if my:theme-terminal-loaded
>>                              (enable-theme my:theme)
>>                            (load-theme my:theme t))
>>                          (setq my:theme-window-loaded t))
>>                          (unless my:theme-terminal-loaded
>>                            (if my:theme-window-loaded
>>                            (enable-theme my:theme)
>>                          (load-theme my:theme t))
>>                            (setq my:theme-terminal-loaded t)))))
>>   (progn
>>     (load-theme my:theme t)
>>     (if (display-graphic-p)
>>     (setq my:theme-window-loaded t)
>>       (setq my:theme-terminal-loaded t))))

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Geyslan G. Bem
>> hackingbits.com
>

> --
> "Do or do not. There is no try"
>   Yoda Master

Geyslan G. Bem
hackingbits.com

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2016-01-14 15:23                     ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2016-01-14 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I've tried using semantic mode but it gives me ""#<buffer jiffies.h> -
Arithmetic error"*" all the time. I've also tried a ctags aproach, but it
is quite slow on big projects, then I tried irony-mode which uses clang to
parse sources.

I never used autocompletion before but I'm having to deal with a code that
came from a microcontroller and
Have.Crasy.StrucsNamed.Like.This.With.ALot.Of.Useless.Members.Inside, so I
got lines wrapping twice and lots of useless members, I never could
remember the members names and the definition is less readable than the use
so I really needed autocompletion to navigate
that mess. Clang parsing seems fast to me, I've tried to avoid it but,
well, it worked fine...

--

@ 2016-01-14 15:35                       ` Geyslan G. Bem
From: Geyslan G. Bem @ 2016-01-14 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

> I've tried using semantic mode but it gives me ""#<buffer jiffies.h> -
> Arithmetic error"*" all the time. I've also tried a ctags aproach, but it is
> quite slow on big projects, then I tried irony-mode which uses clang to
> parse sources.
Hmmm. I'm having this issue too using gtags.

> I never used autocompletion before but I'm having to deal with a code that
> came from a microcontroller and
> Have.Crasy.StrucsNamed.Like.This.With.ALot.Of.Useless.Members.Inside, so I
> got lines wrapping twice and lots of useless members, I never could remember
> the members names and the definition is less readable than the use so I
> really needed autocompletion to navigate
> that mess. Clang parsing seems fast to me, I've tried to avoid it but, well,
> it worked fine...

Nice. Could you share your .el? So the clang is used only for compile
warnings? If yes it may differ from gcc that is what kernel uses. Let
me know more. :-)

I'm using gtags following these recipes:
http://tuhdo.github.io/c-ide.html

> Regards,

>> > Thanks for the tip, I've past the last month trying vim again, but I'll
>> > keep
>> > with emacs anyway. I have so much code writen in elisp and my firgers
>> > are
>> > adicted to Ctrl keystrokes, so ... I could achieve autocomplete with
>> > company
>> > + irony + clang.
>>
>> Why clang?
>> >
>> > Best regards,

>> > --
>> > "Do or do not. There is no try"
>> >   Yoda Master
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Geyslan G. Bem
>> hackingbits.com
>

> --
> "Do or do not. There is no try"
>   Yoda Master

Geyslan G. Bem
hackingbits.com

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2016-01-14 16:28                         ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2016-01-14 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

clang is used only for parsing, nothing to do with compilation :)

Here it is :)

--

@ 2016-01-14 16:28                           ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2016-01-14 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

ops, forget the link:
http://pastebin.com/uQkErV46

Cheers,

--

@ 2016-01-14 16:36                             ` Geyslan G. Bem
From: Geyslan G. Bem @ 2016-01-14 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

> ops, forget the link:
> http://pastebin.com/uQkErV46

Tks.

> Cheers,

>> clang is used only for parsing, nothing to do with compilation :)
I see. So the problems are over?

>> Here it is :)

>>> Hmmm. I'm having this issue too using gtags.

>>> Nice. Could you share your .el? So the clang is used only for compile
>>> warnings? If yes it may differ from gcc that is what kernel uses. Let
>>> me know more. :-)
>>>
>>> I'm using gtags following these recipes:
>>> http://tuhdo.github.io/c-ide.html

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Geyslan G. Bem
>>> hackingbits.com
>>

>> --
>> "Do or do not. There is no try"
>>   Yoda Master
>

> --
> "Do or do not. There is no try"
>   Yoda Master

Geyslan G. Bem
hackingbits.com

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2016-01-14 16:52                             ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2016-01-14 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

You may need to install irony and company from melpa, checkout this:
https://github.com/Sarcasm/irony-mode
Also you need to install clang with your package manager or compiling it by
your self... About the window moving system, that buffer-move is nice, for
moving with window I'm just searching for a better keybind. Maybe creating
an sparse keymap and making it active with some avaible keystroke, swithing
window and desabling the keymap when first unknown key is pressed, but I
didn't have time to research on that yet :)

Cheers,

--

@ 2016-01-14 16:58                               ` Geyslan G. Bem
From: Geyslan G. Bem @ 2016-01-14 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

> You may need to install irony and company from melpa, checkout this:
> https://github.com/Sarcasm/irony-mode
Tks.

> Also you need to install clang with your package manager or compiling it by
> your self... About the window moving system, that buffer-move is nice, for
> moving with window I'm just searching for a better keybind. Maybe creating
> an sparse keymap and making it active with some avaible keystroke, swithing
> window and desabling the keymap when first unknown key is pressed, but I
> didn't have time to research on that yet :)

May you like it.

;; window move
(global-set-key (kbd "C-s-j") 'windmove-left)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-s-;") 'windmove-right)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-s-l") 'windmove-up)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-s-k") 'windmove-down)
;; buffer-move
(global-set-key (kbd "M-s-j") 'buf-move-left)
(global-set-key (kbd "M-s-;") 'buf-move-right)
(global-set-key (kbd "M-s-l") 'buf-move-up)
(global-set-key (kbd "M-s-k") 'buf-move-down)
;; window resize
(global-set-key (kbd "C-s-S-j") 'shrink-window-horizontally)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-s-:") 'enlarge-window-horizontally)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-s-S-l") 'shrink-window)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-s-S-k") 'enlarge-window)

> Cheers,

>> ops, forget the link:
>> http://pastebin.com/uQkErV46
>>
>> Cheers,

>>> clang is used only for parsing, nothing to do with compilation :)
>>>
>>> Here it is :)

>>> --
>>> "Do or do not. There is no try"
>>>   Yoda Master
>>

>> --
>> "Do or do not. There is no try"
>>   Yoda Master
>

> --
> "Do or do not. There is no try"
>   Yoda Master

Geyslan G. Bem
hackingbits.com

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2016-01-14 19:19     ` Geyslan G. Bem
From: Geyslan G. Bem @ 2016-01-14 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

> Hey Jeff, thanks for the reply, what I realy don't like in IDEs is tying
> building and editing at same tool. I'm a simple guy so I like to keep things
> simple. I never heard of anybody using IDE's for building C code in linux.
>
> I'm considering back to vim since emacs indenting is making me crazy

Could you explain which indenting aspect is annoying you?

> Regards

>> Off list.
>>

>> I use gvim, make, all the old style tools for kernel development and have
>> been doing so for about 15 years now, but I am an old fart. Your boss
>> needs
>> to understand that a lot of these IDEs, though useful for user space
>> development, don?t help much in kernel space. When the kernel goes bad,
>> the
>> IDE goes with it.
>>

>> If he is uneducatable on this, you might want to check out this package
>> called kdevelop. You can keep it running in one desktop to make him happy
>> and then do the real work using the tried and true command line tools in
>> another desktop.
>>

>> Good luck,
>>

>> Jeff Haran

Geyslan G. Bem
hackingbits.com

* Developing environments used for kernel development
@ 2016-01-14 20:08       ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2016-01-14 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Its autoindentation is a little intrusive, but at the coding style at
kernel.org there is some code that fix that :)

--
*"Do or do not. There is no try"*
  *Yoda Master*