* [Buildroot] start-stop-daemon failing due to option -q
@ 2020-07-12 13:16 William Tambe
From: William Tambe @ 2020-07-12 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

I am seeing the following failure when start-stop-daemon is used
during services starting; the failure goes away when I remove from
start-stop-daemon the use of the option -q in the service scripts
under /etc/init.d/ .
Is this a known issue ?

Starting syslogd: start-stop-daemon: option requires an argument -- 'x'
BusyBox v1.31.1 (2020-05-25 11:34:54 CDT) multi-call binary.

Usage: start-stop-daemon [OPTIONS] [-S|-K] ... [-- ARGS...]

Search for matching processes, and then
-K: stop all matching processes
-S: start a process unless a matching process is found

Process matching:
        -u USERNAME|UID Match only this user's processes
        -n NAME         Match processes with NAME
                        in comm field in /proc/PID/stat
        -x EXECUTABLE   Match processes with this command
                        in /proc/PID/cmdline
        -p FILE         Match a process with PID from FILE
        All specified conditions must match
-S only:
        -x EXECUTABLE   Program to run
        -a NAME         Zeroth argument
        -b              Background
        -N N            Change nice level
        -c USER[:[GRP]] Change user/group
        -m              Write PID to pidfile specified by -p
-K only:
        -s SIG          Signal to send
        -t              Match only, exit with 0 if found
Other:
        -o              Exit with status 0 if nothing is done
        -v              Verbose
        -q              Quiet
FAIL

* [Buildroot] start-stop-daemon failing due to option -q
@ 2020-07-12 19:31 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2020-07-12 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 09:16:00 -0400
William Tambe <tambewilliam@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am seeing the following failure when start-stop-daemon is used
> during services starting; the failure goes away when I remove from
> start-stop-daemon the use of the option -q in the service scripts
> under /etc/init.d/ .
> Is this a known issue ?
>
> Starting syslogd: start-stop-daemon: option requires an argument -- 'x'

This has something to do with -q. -q is always supported in
start-stop-daemon, it's even listed in the help text of
start-stop-daemon you provide:

>         -q              Quiet

The S01syslogd script looks like this:

        start-stop-daemon -b -m -S -q -p "$PIDFILE" -x "/sbin/$DAEMON" \
                -- -n $SYSLOGD_ARGS

So I don't see how the -x argument can be empty.

Did you customize the SYSLOGD_ARGS in /etc/default/syslogd perhaps ?

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] start-stop-daemon failing due to option -q
@ 2020-07-13  1:35   ` William Tambe
From: William Tambe @ 2020-07-13  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 3:31 PM Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 09:16:00 -0400
> William Tambe <tambewilliam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am seeing the following failure when start-stop-daemon is used
> > during services starting; the failure goes away when I remove from
> > start-stop-daemon the use of the option -q in the service scripts
> > under /etc/init.d/ .
> > Is this a known issue ?
> >
> > Starting syslogd: start-stop-daemon: option requires an argument -- 'x'
>
> This has something to do with -q. -q is always supported in
> start-stop-daemon, it's even listed in the help text of
> start-stop-daemon you provide:
>
> >         -q              Quiet
>
> The S01syslogd script looks like this:
>
>         start-stop-daemon -b -m -S -q -p "$PIDFILE" -x "/sbin/$DAEMON" \
>                 -- -n $SYSLOGD_ARGS
>
> So I don't see how the -x argument can be empty.
>
> Did you customize the SYSLOGD_ARGS in /etc/default/syslogd perhaps ?

No, I did not customize SYSLOD_ARGS in in /etc/default/syslogd.
to find that -q was causing problem, I manually ran start-stop-daemon
at the shell as follow:

DAEMON="syslogd"
PIDFILE="/var/run/$DAEMON.pid"
SYSLOGD_ARGS=""

# This fails:
start-stop-daemon -b -m -S -q -p "$PIDFILE" -x "/sbin/$DAEMON" -- -n
$SYSLOGD_ARGS

# While this without -q is successful:
start-stop-daemon -b -m -S -p "$PIDFILE" -x "/sbin/$DAEMON" -- -n $SYSLOGD_ARGS

Are you able to run start-stop-daemon with the -q option ?

@ 2020-07-21 19:18     ` William Tambe
From: William Tambe @ 2020-07-21 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 9:35 PM William Tambe <tambewilliam@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 3:31 PM Thomas Petazzoni
> <thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 09:16:00 -0400
> > William Tambe <tambewilliam@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I am seeing the following failure when start-stop-daemon is used
> > > during services starting; the failure goes away when I remove from
> > > start-stop-daemon the use of the option -q in the service scripts
> > > under /etc/init.d/ .
> > > Is this a known issue ?
> > >
> > > Starting syslogd: start-stop-daemon: option requires an argument -- 'x'
> >
> > This has something to do with -q. -q is always supported in
> > start-stop-daemon, it's even listed in the help text of
> > start-stop-daemon you provide:
> >
> > >         -q              Quiet
> >
> > The S01syslogd script looks like this:
> >
> >         start-stop-daemon -b -m -S -q -p "$PIDFILE" -x "/sbin/$DAEMON" \
> >                 -- -n $SYSLOGD_ARGS
> >
> > So I don't see how the -x argument can be empty.
> >
> > Did you customize the SYSLOGD_ARGS in /etc/default/syslogd perhaps ?
>
> No, I did not customize SYSLOD_ARGS in in /etc/default/syslogd.
> to find that -q was causing problem, I manually ran start-stop-daemon
> at the shell as follow:
>
> DAEMON="syslogd"
> PIDFILE="/var/run/$DAEMON.pid"
> SYSLOGD_ARGS=""
>
> # This fails:
> start-stop-daemon -b -m -S -q -p "$PIDFILE" -x "/sbin/$DAEMON" -- -n
> $SYSLOGD_ARGS
>
> # While this without -q is successful:
> start-stop-daemon -b -m -S -p "$PIDFILE" -x "/sbin/$DAEMON" -- -n $SYSLOGD_ARGS
>
> Are you able to run start-stop-daemon with the -q option ?

Is anyone else seeing the issue of start-stop-daemon failing when the
option -q is used ?

@ 2020-07-21 19:34       ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2020-07-21 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 15:18:19 -0400
William Tambe <tambewilliam@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Are you able to run start-stop-daemon with the -q option ?
>
> Is anyone else seeing the issue of start-stop-daemon failing when the
> option -q is used ?

I still don't see how it is possible to not have support for the -q
option in start-stop-daemon, I don't see any conditional in the Busybox
source code.

Could you provide the Buildroot configuration and Busybox configuration
that exhibits the issue ?

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2020-07-22  2:05         ` William Tambe
From: William Tambe @ 2020-07-22  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 2:35 PM Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 15:18:19 -0400
> William Tambe <tambewilliam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Are you able to run start-stop-daemon with the -q option ?
> >
> > Is anyone else seeing the issue of start-stop-daemon failing when the
> > option -q is used ?
>
> I still don't see how it is possible to not have support for the -q
> option in start-stop-daemon, I don't see any conditional in the Busybox
> source code.
>
> Could you provide the Buildroot configuration and Busybox configuration
> that exhibits the issue ?

Certainly; I am currently only using a buildroot configuration with no
busybox configuration; so I think buildroot uses a default busybox
configuration:

BR2_iron=y
BR2_ENABLE_DEBUG=y
BR2_DEBUG_3=y
# BR2_STRIP_strip is not set
BR2_OPTIMIZE_G=y
BR2_STATIC_LIBS=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_PATH="/opt/iron-toolchain/"
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_CUSTOM_PREFIX="$(ARCH)-elf"
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_HEADERS_5_5=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_CUSTOM_GLIBC=y
# BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_HAS_SSP is not set
# BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_INET_RPC is not set
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_CXX=y
BR2_ROOTFS_MERGED_USR=y
BR2_TARGET_GENERIC_ROOT_PASSWD="root"
BR2_TARGET_GENERIC_GETTY_OPTIONS="-n -l /bin/bash"
BR2_PACKAGE_BUSYBOX_SHOW_OTHERS=y
BR2_PACKAGE_BASH=y
BR2_PACKAGE_HTOP=y
BR2_PACKAGE_NANO=y