* [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 2.1.0 is now available
@ 2014-08-01 16:41 Michael Roth
       [not found] ` <53E03454.9060103@netapp.com>
From: Michael Roth @ 2014-08-01 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: peter.maydell

Hello,

On behalf of the QEMU Team, I'd like to announce the availability of
the QEMU 2.1.0 release. This release contains 2200+ commits from 180
authors.

  http://wiki.qemu.org/download/qemu-2.1.0.tar.bz2

The full list of changes are available at:

  http://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/2.1

Highlights include:

 * Support for memory hotplug on x86 guests
 * Support for pinning memory on host NUMA nodes on x86 guests
 * Basic hot-plug/hot-unplug support for x86 guests using Q35 machine-type
 * Support for TCG-based system emulation on AArch64 (in addition
   KVM-based virtualization)
 * AArch64 SHA and Crypto instruction support.
 * Support for VFIO-based device passthrough on pSeries/PowerKVM guests
 * Migration support for virtio-ccw on s390x guests
 * Improved IOMMU emulation for SPARC guests
 * Full support for USB3 passthrough (including streams).
 * Multi-seat support for GTK+ and SDL 2.0 UIs, and lots of bug fixes.
 * Dedicated threading model for virtio-blk, virtio-blk dataplane, now supports
   almost all features of the block layer including: image formats, POSIX AIO,
   I/O throttling, statistics and error recovery
 * Fixes migration from QEMU 1.7 when certain bridge/CPU combinations are in
   use (see changelog for notes on migration incompatibilities between 2.0
   and 2.1 for certain guest configuations), and new code/tools to detect
   migration issues
 * And lots more...

Thank you to everyone involved!

Sincerely,

Michael Roth

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 2.1.0 is now available
@ 2014-08-01 22:33 ` Peter Maydell
                     ` (2 more replies)
       [not found] ` <53E03454.9060103@netapp.com>
From: Peter Maydell @ 2014-08-01 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Roth; +Cc: QEMU Developers

On 1 August 2014 17:41, Michael Roth <mdroth@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> On behalf of the QEMU Team, I'd like to announce the availability of
> the QEMU 2.1.0 release. This release contains 2200+ commits from 180
> authors.

> Thank you to everyone involved!

Yep, thanks to everybody who helped get this one out of the door;
trunk is now re-opened for 2.2 development.

If there's anything you think we should maybe try to do better or
differently next time round, now might be a good time to suggest it.
Personally I think it went reasonably well and I was happy with the
length of hardfreeze time. We should remember to ask for updates
of the message translations at rc0/rc1 time rather than having them
appear very late in the cycle, perhaps.

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 2.1.0 is now available
@ 2014-08-04  9:50   ` Kevin Wolf
From: Kevin Wolf @ 2014-08-04  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell; +Cc: Michael Roth, QEMU Developers

Am 02.08.2014 um 00:33 hat Peter Maydell geschrieben:
> On 1 August 2014 17:41, Michael Roth <mdroth@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > On behalf of the QEMU Team, I'd like to announce the availability of
> > the QEMU 2.1.0 release. This release contains 2200+ commits from 180
> > authors.
>
> > Thank you to everyone involved!
>
> Yep, thanks to everybody who helped get this one out of the door;
> trunk is now re-opened for 2.2 development.
>
> If there's anything you think we should maybe try to do better or
> differently next time round, now might be a good time to suggest it.
> Personally I think it went reasonably well and I was happy with the
> length of hardfreeze time.

I agree, that seems to have been a good length for the freeze. It
happened probably for the first time that in the end an RC was
approaching and I simply didn't have any new patches to submit a pull
request for. It feels a lot better when you don't have masses of
last-minute fixes, but things actually stabilise a bit.

> We should remember to ask for updates
> of the message translations at rc0/rc1 time rather than having them
> appear very late in the cycle, perhaps.

That's a good point. Should we include it in a Planning/2.2 wiki page
so we won't forget, or is there a better place for it?

Kevin

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 2.1.0 is now available
@ 2014-08-04 12:56   ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2014-08-04 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell; +Cc: Michael Roth, QEMU Developers

On Fri, Aug 01, 2014 at 11:33:28PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 1 August 2014 17:41, Michael Roth <mdroth@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > On behalf of the QEMU Team, I'd like to announce the availability of
> > the QEMU 2.1.0 release. This release contains 2200+ commits from 180
> > authors.
>
> > Thank you to everyone involved!
>
> Yep, thanks to everybody who helped get this one out of the door;
> trunk is now re-opened for 2.2 development.
>
> If there's anything you think we should maybe try to do better or
> differently next time round, now might be a good time to suggest it.
> Personally I think it went reasonably well and I was happy with the
> length of hardfreeze time. We should remember to ask for updates
> of the message translations at rc0/rc1 time rather than having them
> appear very late in the cycle, perhaps.
>
> thanks
> -- PMM

I agree, if went well.

I already have some bugfix patches which would be
preferable on a stable branch rather than
make them wait for 2.2.

How about we schedule periodic 2.1.y updates?
I think this has a better chance to work than
the "whenever we feel this is a good idea" model
we tried previously.

--
MST

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 2.1.0 is now available
@ 2014-08-04 13:21   ` Mark Cave-Ayland
From: Mark Cave-Ayland @ 2014-08-04 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell, Michael Roth; +Cc: QEMU Developers

On 01/08/14 23:33, Peter Maydell wrote:

> On 1 August 2014 17:41, Michael Roth <mdroth@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>> On behalf of the QEMU Team, I'd like to announce the availability of
>> the QEMU 2.1.0 release. This release contains 2200+ commits from 180
>> authors.
>
>> Thank you to everyone involved!
>
> Yep, thanks to everybody who helped get this one out of the door;
> trunk is now re-opened for 2.2 development.
>
> If there's anything you think we should maybe try to do better or
> differently next time round, now might be a good time to suggest it.
> Personally I think it went reasonably well and I was happy with the
> length of hardfreeze time. We should remember to ask for updates
> of the message translations at rc0/rc1 time rather than having them
> appear very late in the cycle, perhaps.

Indeed. One of the things I felt helped was that patchsets spanning
across the entire tree, e.g. display changes and QOM changes were
applied sooner in the release cycle which I felt helped reduce rebase
clashes as release drew closer.

The only improvement I would like to see is for maintainers to try and
regularly flush their patch queues where possible, to help prevent
patchsets of over 100 emails being posted to the lists (naming no names
in order to protect the innocent of course ;).

ATB,

Mark.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 2.1.0 is now available
@ 2014-08-04 13:37     ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2014-08-04 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Cave-Ayland; +Cc: Michael Roth, QEMU Developers

On 4 August 2014 14:21, Mark Cave-Ayland <mark.cave-ayland@ilande.co.uk> wrote:
> The only improvement I would like to see is for maintainers to try and
> regularly flush their patch queues where possible, to help prevent patchsets
> of over 100 emails being posted to the lists (naming no names in order to
> protect the innocent of course ;).

I'd like to encourage submaintainers to do this too -- my personal
rule of thumb is that 50 patches is the most a pullreq should ever
grow to, and that only in exceptional circumstances. This ought
to make your lives easier since there's less retesting you need to
do if I have to bounce a pullreq back for failure to compile and
you need to drop a patch from it.

thanks
-- PMM

@ 2014-08-05  9:47   ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2014-08-05  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nishank Trivedi; +Cc: mdroth, qemu-devel

On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 06:33:08PM -0700, Nishank Trivedi wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I'm trying to send mail to qemu-devel, but it seems to be getting filtering
> out as I dont see it come over mailing list. Is there a keyword needed in
> subject for qemu-devel?
>
> I'm trying to report issue of x86 host hardlocking on doing pci-passthrough
> of PMC-sierra sas device through qemu (no libvirt in picture). Could you
> please point me to appropriate person/mailing-list to discuss this further?
>
> Thanks,
> Nishank

You are using the correct mailing list.
Sometimes our mailing list is down and does not
forward mail, let's see if this mail will get there,
if yes resending should help.