* [Qemu-devel] Custom machine configuration for QEMU
@ 2015-01-06 11:26 Radha Krishna Srimanthula
From: Radha Krishna Srimanthula @ 2015-01-06 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

I am posting here after searching in vain for quite sometime. Hopefully
I've reached the right forum, and hope that I'll get an answer to my
questions.

We have a board that has a multicore processor - an ARM9 core and a R4 core
- and a few peripherals around. We run embedded linux on the ARM9 core and
a realtime OS on the R4 core with a custom protocol providing for the
communication between then.

Can I emulate this setup using QEMU? Specifically, does QEMU support this
asymmetric processor configuration? How do I create a machine config
corresponding to this board? What customizations will I have to do to QEMU?

As a follow up, are there any best practices for emulating the peripheral
hardware?

Appreciate your help on this!

Thanks,
Radha.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Custom machine configuration for QEMU
@ 2015-01-06 13:59 ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2015-01-06 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Radha Krishna Srimanthula; +Cc: QEMU Developers

On 6 January 2015 at 11:26, Radha Krishna Srimanthula
<srimanthula.radhakrishna@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have a board that has a multicore processor - an ARM9 core and a R4 core
> - and a few peripherals around. We run embedded linux on the ARM9 core and a
> realtime OS on the R4 core with a custom protocol providing for the
> communication between then.
>
> Can I emulate this setup using QEMU? Specifically, does QEMU support this
> asymmetric processor configuration?

The short answer is "no". At the moment we can only handle emulating
a single symmetric CPU cluster, I'm afraid.

-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Custom machine configuration for QEMU
@ 2015-01-06 14:20   ` Radha Krishna Srimanthula
From: Radha Krishna Srimanthula @ 2015-01-06 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell; +Cc: QEMU Developers

On Tue Jan 06 2015 at 19:30:02 Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org>
wrote:

> On 6 January 2015 at 11:26, Radha Krishna Srimanthula
> <srimanthula.radhakrishna@gmail.com> wrote:
> > We have a board that has a multicore processor - an ARM9 core and a R4
> core
> > - and a few peripherals around. We run embedded linux on the ARM9 core
> and a
> > realtime OS on the R4 core with a custom protocol providing for the
> > communication between then.
> >
> > Can I emulate this setup using QEMU? Specifically, does QEMU support this
> > asymmetric processor configuration?
>
> The short answer is "no". At the moment we can only handle emulating
> a single symmetric CPU cluster, I'm afraid.
>
> -- PMM

Thanks Peter!

If it was a symmetric CPU cluster, how do I go about creating a machine
configuration? Any pointers please?

Regards,

@ 2015-01-06 14:26     ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2015-01-06 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Radha Krishna Srimanthula; +Cc: QEMU Developers

On 6 January 2015 at 14:20, Radha Krishna Srimanthula
<srimanthula.radhakrishna@gmail.com> wrote:
> If it was a symmetric CPU cluster, how do I go about creating a machine
> configuration? Any pointers please?

Look at an existing board model (preferably one that has
been recently added or maintained) and see what it does...

-- PMM