* [Qemu-devel] aarch32 acquire/release vs mttcg
@ 2018-11-06 11:55 Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2018-11-06 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU Developers; +Cc: qemu-arm, Richard Henderson, Alex Bennée

Looking through code I noticed that in target/arm/translate.c there
is the following comment in the decode for the load-acquire/store-release
instructions:

      /* Since the emulation does not have barriers,
         the acquire/release semantics need no special
         handling */

This is out of date now we have MTTCG, isn't it?
The equivalent code in translate-a64.c has some calls to tcg_gen_mb()
to emit barriers...presumably we need to fix the a32 code to do
the same.

(We haven't noticed this because I think in practice nobody
much is compiling Armv8-specific AArch32 code.)

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] aarch32 acquire/release vs mttcg
@ 2018-11-06 14:23 ` Alex Bennée
From: Alex Bennée @ 2018-11-06 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell; +Cc: QEMU Developers, qemu-arm, Richard Henderson

Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> writes:

> Looking through code I noticed that in target/arm/translate.c there
> is the following comment in the decode for the load-acquire/store-release
> instructions:
>
>       /* Since the emulation does not have barriers,
>          the acquire/release semantics need no special
>          handling */
>
> This is out of date now we have MTTCG, isn't it?

Yes

> The equivalent code in translate-a64.c has some calls to tcg_gen_mb()
> to emit barriers...presumably we need to fix the a32 code to do
> the same.

Sounds right. Are they the same semantics as their bigger 64 bit
cousins?

--
Alex Bennée