* [Qemu-devel] compile failure on macos: "only weak aliases are supported on darwin"
@ 2012-11-02  9:54 Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2012-11-02  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU Developers, Paolo Bonzini

Building on MacOS with clang has broken:

qmp.c:474:1: error: only weak aliases are supported on darwin
QEMU_WEAK_ALIAS(arch_query_cpu_definitions, default_arch_query_cpu_definitions);
^
./compiler.h:54:54: note: expanded from macro 'QEMU_WEAK_ALIAS'
        typeof(oldname) newname __attribute__((weak, alias (#oldname)))
                                                     ^
1 error generated.

Looks like commit 67d223be is the culprit (and QEMU_WEAK_ALIAS
isn't actually generated weak aliases?)

-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] compile failure on macos: "only weak aliases are supported on darwin"
@ 2012-11-02 10:39 ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2012-11-02 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell, qemu-devel

Il 02/11/2012 10:54, Peter Maydell ha scritto:
> Building on MacOS with clang has broken:
>
> qmp.c:474:1: error: only weak aliases are supported on darwin
> QEMU_WEAK_ALIAS(arch_query_cpu_definitions, default_arch_query_cpu_definitions);
> ^
> ./compiler.h:54:54: note: expanded from macro 'QEMU_WEAK_ALIAS'
>         typeof(oldname) newname __attribute__((weak, alias (#oldname)))
>                                                      ^
> 1 error generated.
>

> Looks like commit 67d223be is the culprit (and QEMU_WEAK_ALIAS
> isn't actually generated weak aliases?)

It's a bad error message.  It should be "only weakref aliases are
supported on Darwin", apparently.

It can be fixed, I'm testing a patch but it will have to wait for after
KVM Forum.

BTW, since I read disagreeing reports on this, can you check if Darwin
has sem_timedwait?

Paolo

* Re: [Qemu-devel] compile failure on macos: "only weak aliases are supported on darwin"
@ 2012-11-02 10:41   ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2012-11-02 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: qemu-devel

On 2 November 2012 11:39, Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com> wrote:
> Il 02/11/2012 10:54, Peter Maydell ha scritto:
>> Looks like commit 67d223be is the culprit (and QEMU_WEAK_ALIAS
>> isn't actually generated weak aliases?)
>
> It's a bad error message.  It should be "only weakref aliases are
> supported on Darwin", apparently.
>
> It can be fixed, I'm testing a patch but it will have to wait for after
> KVM Forum.

As long as we fix it before the 1.3 release (since this would
otherwise be a serious regression) I'm happy.

> BTW, since I read disagreeing reports on this, can you check if Darwin
> has sem_timedwait?

My Mountain Lion (10.8.2) system does not have sem_timedwait.

-- PMM