* Best way to exercise NVME ioctls
@ 2013-08-26  6:37 Prasad Joshi
From: Prasad Joshi @ 2013-08-26  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

I am doing experiments with nvme linux driver. I would like to write
some sample programs which uses nvme ioctls. Specifically I wanted to
invoke identify command to start with. nvme.h header file contains two
structures "nvme_admin_cmd" and "nvme_identify", both seem to be
identical.

Would there be any problem if I use any one of them for calling nvme IOCTL?
What will be the best and ideal way?

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Prasad

* Best way to exercise NVME ioctls
@ 2013-08-26 15:01 ` Keith Busch
From: Keith Busch @ 2013-08-26 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013, Prasad Joshi wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am doing experiments with nvme linux driver. I would like to write
> some sample programs which uses nvme ioctls. Specifically I wanted to
> invoke identify command to start with. nvme.h header file contains two
> structures "nvme_admin_cmd" and "nvme_identify", both seem to be
> identical.

I put some basic user programs up on another repository at

http://git.infradead.org/users/kbusch/nvme-user.git

It is very basic stuff; the programs there just run an nvme command
through the ioctl and print the data in more-or-less human readable
form.

* Best way to exercise NVME ioctls
@ 2013-08-26 17:31   ` Prasad Joshi
From: Prasad Joshi @ 2013-08-26 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013@8:31 PM, Keith Busch <keith.busch@intel.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Aug 2013, Prasad Joshi wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am doing experiments with nvme linux driver. I would like to write
>> some sample programs which uses nvme ioctls. Specifically I wanted to
>> invoke identify command to start with. nvme.h header file contains two
>> structures "nvme_admin_cmd" and "nvme_identify", both seem to be
>> identical.
>

> I put some basic user programs up on another repository at
>
> http://git.infradead.org/users/kbusch/nvme-user.git
>
> It is very basic stuff; the programs there just run an nvme command
> through the ioctl and print the data in more-or-less human readable
> form.

Thanks a lot for your reply. This is good enough to get us started.

Thanks and Regards,
Prasad

* Best way to exercise NVME ioctls
@ 2013-08-26  6:12 anup shendkar
From: anup shendkar @ 2013-08-26  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

I am doing experiments with nvme linux driver. I would like to write
some sample programs which uses nvme ioctls. Specifically I wanted to
invoke identify command to start with. nvme.h header file contains two
structures "nvme_admin_cmd" and "nvme_identify", both seem to be
identical.

Would there be any problem if I use any one of them for calling nvme IOCTL ?
What will be the best and ideal way ?

Regards,
anup shendkar

* Best way to exercise NVME ioctls