* [Buildroot] setting up directfb for a raspberry pi + waveshare32b display
@ 2015-02-18 17:30 Peter Seiderer
From: Peter Seiderer @ 2015-02-18 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Lou,

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 07:21:36PM -0600, Lou Crittenden wrote:
> I tried running them and got an error stating it can't find /dev/fusion0 or
> /dev/fusion/0 after running any of the df_knuckles --dfb commands with the
> exception of the help command.
>
> Did you have to create new device nodes and directories? I had to using
> mkdir /dev/fusion
> mkdir /dev/fusion0
>
> then made the device nodes with these commands:
>
> mknod /dev/fusion/0 c 253 0
> mknod /dev/fusion/0 c 252 0
> mknod /dev/fusion0 c 252 0
> mknod /dev/fusion0 c 253 0
>
> I then ran
> $ df_knuckles --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
> $ df_dok --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
> $ df_cpuload --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
>
> both as root and as another user and I get:
> (!) Fusion/Init: could not enter world 0! not a typewriter
>
> I have no idea what that means. Other people have gotten the error as well,
> but haven't had solutions, as per various searches.

From package/directfb/directfb.mk:

ifeq ($(BR2_PACKAGE_DIRECTFB_MULTI),y)
DIRECTFB_CONF_OPTS += --enable-multi --enable-fusion
DIRECTFB_DEPENDENCIES += linux-fusion
endif

Disable DIRECTFB_MULTI, rebuild directfb and try again (just a guess, not tested)...

Regards,
Peter

@ 2015-02-18 22:29 ` Lou Crittenden
From: Lou Crittenden @ 2015-02-18 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Got it to work after about a 2 hour rebuild with make clean all and
removing the said option. You guessed properly. I also had to use fb1
instead of fb0. I would love to use fb1 as the default framebuffer.

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 11:30 AM, Peter Seiderer <ps.report@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello Lou,
>
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 07:21:36PM -0600, Lou Crittenden wrote:
> > I tried running them and got an error stating it can't find /dev/fusion0
> or
> > /dev/fusion/0 after running any of the df_knuckles --dfb commands with
> the
> > exception of the help command.
> >
> > Did you have to create new device nodes and directories? I had to using
> > mkdir /dev/fusion
> > mkdir /dev/fusion0
> >
> > then made the device nodes with these commands:
> >
> > mknod /dev/fusion/0 c 253 0
> > mknod /dev/fusion/0 c 252 0
> > mknod /dev/fusion0 c 252 0
> > mknod /dev/fusion0 c 253 0
> >
> > I then ran
> > $ df_knuckles --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
> > $ df_dok --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
> > $ df_cpuload --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
> >
> > both as root and as another user and I get:
> > (!) Fusion/Init: could not enter world 0! not a typewriter
> >
> > I have no idea what that means. Other people have gotten the error as
> well,
> > but haven't had solutions, as per various searches.
> >

> From package/directfb/directfb.mk:

> ifeq ($(BR2_PACKAGE_DIRECTFB_MULTI),y)
> DIRECTFB_CONF_OPTS += --enable-multi --enable-fusion
> DIRECTFB_DEPENDENCIES += linux-fusion
> endif
>
> Disable DIRECTFB_MULTI, rebuild directfb and try again (just a guess, not
> tested)...
>
> Regards,
> Peter
>
> > On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 4:38 PM, Peter Seiderer <ps.report@gmx.net>
> wrote:

> and a
> with the
> fbtft
> work on
> setting up
> cannot
> that

> would
> > > >

> > > Just a quick test:
> > >
> > > $ df_knuckles --dfb:help
> > > $ df_knuckles --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
> > > $ df_dok --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
> > > $ df_cpuload --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
> > >
> > > work for me...
> > >
> > > $ df_drivertest  --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
> > > df_drivertest.c <97>:
> > >         (#) DirectFBError [dfb->CreateSurface( dfb, &dsc, &primary )]:
> The
> > > requested operation or an argument is (currently) not supported
> > >
> > > failes..
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Peter

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] setting up directfb for a raspberry pi + waveshare32b display
@ 2015-02-19  0:13   ` Lou Crittenden
From: Lou Crittenden @ 2015-02-19  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

on the df_knuckles demo, the touch screen works, but it appears that I have
reverse the axes somehow, as it appears that if I move my finger left to
right, the skull moves up and down and vice versa.

@ 2015-02-19  1:10     ` Lou Crittenden
From: Lou Crittenden @ 2015-02-19  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

I can also confirm that the axes are reversed on the df_bltload by running:
df_bltload --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1.

I was thinking I could make an ads7846 configuration file at
/etc/modprobe.d/00-ads7846.conf (like we did with the waveshare32b) to also
include the ads7846 touchscreen device with reversed axes.

For starters, the contents will be:

options ads7846_device debug=1 cs=1 speed=2000000 model=7846 x_min=230
x_max=3900 y_min=200 y_max=3700 x_plate_ohms=80 pressure_max=255
gpio_pendown=23 keep_vref_on=1

I will see how this goes and edit accordingly.

@ 2015-02-19 13:14       ` Lou Crittenden
From: Lou Crittenden @ 2015-02-19 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

>I was thinking I could make an ads7846 configuration file at
>/etc/modprobe.d>>/00-ads7846.
>conf (like we did with the waveshare32b) to also include the ads7846
>touchscreen device with reversed axes.

>For starters, the contents will be:

>options ads7846_device debug=1 cs=1 speed=2000000 model=7846 >x_min=230
x_max=3900 y_min=200 y_max=3700 x_plate_ohms=80 >pressure_max=255
gpio_pendown=23 keep_vref_on=1

>I will see how this goes and edit accordingly.

Disregard that!! I remember now making the /etc/init.d/s30fbtft script and
I found the part that has the "swap_xy=0" and am changing it to
"swap_xy=1", and doing the tweaks from there.

@ 2015-02-19 13:27         ` Zygmunt Ptak
From: Zygmunt Ptak @ 2015-02-19 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Lou,
Do you want to use qt quick with directfb?
I have waveshare 4 inch (A), and for now without any success on this.
Everything with OGL is rendered on HDMI output,
so I think it's not possible to use fbdev with  qt quick. Code with widgets
works good.
I you will have any success on this, I would be greatful for any info.
Regards
Zygmunt

@ 2015-02-19 20:02           ` Lou Crittenden
From: Lou Crittenden @ 2015-02-19 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

>Hi Lou,
>Do you want to use qt quick with directfb?
>I have waveshare 4 inch (A), and for now without any success on this.
>Everything with OGL is rendered on HDMI output,
>so I think it's not possible to use fbdev with qt quick. Code with widgets
works >good.
>I you will have any success on this, I would be greatful for any info.
>Regards
>Zygmunt

Qt quick looks promising to use as an interface for directfb, although I
never have gotten into it. You mentioning it to me is the first time I have
heard of it. I watched a demo on how to create an interface here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6_F6Kpjd-Q. By the looks of what I saw in
the vid, it looks promising, but of course that guy made it look easy.

Do you know what framebuffer you are outputting to? Mine is /dev/fb1.
/dev/fb0 is the hdmi/video out, assuming you are using a raspberry pi.

@ 2015-02-19 21:46             ` Lou Crittenden
From: Lou Crittenden @ 2015-02-19 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

>Disregard that!! I remember now making the /etc/init.d/s30fbtft script and
I >found the part that has the "swap_xy=0" and am changing it to
"swap_xy=1", >and doing the tweaks from there.

Well, I swapped the axes by changing swap_xy=0 to swap_xy=1 and while it
swapped the axes, I am having an issue where the y-axis is inverted, so
when I move my finger up and down the screen (it is in landscape), the
arrow moves the opposite. If I move the arrow left and right along the
x-axis, it moves properly. How do I fix that y-axis?

@ 2015-02-18  1:21 ` Lou Crittenden
From: Lou Crittenden @ 2015-02-18  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

@ 2015-02-17 22:38 Peter Seiderer
From: Peter Seiderer @ 2015-02-17 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Lou,

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 05:35:32PM -0600, Lou Crittenden wrote:
> Hi all. I have a buildroot setup running on a raspberry pi model b+ and a
> waveshare32b 3.2" display and was able to get the system to work with the
> display thanks to peter seiderer's awesome patch that builds the fbtft
> drivers for buildroot, but I now would like to set up directfb to work on
> this setup. Directfb built nicely, along with sdl and qt5 (I'm setting up
> the framework for a gui on a buildroot based media player), but I cannot
> get anything to work on directfb. I run the command "df_drivertest" that
> tests for the driver, and it gives a
>
> (#) DirectFBError [dfb->CreateSurface( dfb, &dsc, &primary )]: The
> requested operation or an argument is (currently)Not
> supported.
>
> The same thing happens when I try to run any of their directfb demos.
> I went on their site, directfb.org, and a lot of the links that would
> help are dead

Just a quick test:

$ df_knuckles --dfb:help

@ 2015-02-12 23:35 Lou Crittenden