* Free Linux/Ubuntu VMs for Kernal Development?
@ 2017-03-14  4:04 Balaji Barmavat
From: Balaji Barmavat @ 2017-03-14  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello Team,

Anybody's has any VM's links to download, for practice kernel programming?

Thanks

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 7:45 PM, Tobin C. Harding <me@tobin.cc> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 10:08:51AM +0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 01:03:07PM +1100, Tobin C. Harding wrote:
> > > On investigating call sites for 'return' in drivers/staging/ks7010/
> > > it can be seen that a number of functions us *custom* (positive)
> > > integers to indicate error. Notwithstanding that they are positive, is
> > > this ok for code in the kernel (i.e in order to get out of staging
> > > does this need to be changed)? Functions in question have internal
> linkage
> > > and the error code is used for debug messages.
> > >
> > > Should these be
> > >
> > > A) left alone
> > > B) made negative
> > > C) changed to use standard error codes (i.e -ENOMEM etc)
> >
> > C) please
>
> Awesome.
>
> thanks,
> Tobin.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Free Linux/Ubuntu VMs for Kernal Development?
@ 2017-03-14  4:18 ` Freeman Zhang
From: Freeman Zhang @ 2017-03-14  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 3/14/17 12:04 PM, Balaji Barmavat wrote:

> Anybody's has any VM's links to download, for practice kernel programming?

Well, I am using QEMU system emulator, for it's easier to connect to GDB
debugging and itself handles bootloader thing. You can set all things up
by one line parameters, really tidy.

The disadvantage is that I've been told system running in QEMU is slow,
but for kernel programming that wouldn't be the problem, will it?

What about others?

All the best!
Freeman

* Free Linux/Ubuntu VMs for Kernal Development?
@ 2017-03-14 10:15   ` François
From: François @ 2017-03-14 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 12:18:33PM +0800, Freeman Zhang wrote:
> On 3/14/17 12:04 PM, Balaji Barmavat wrote:
> > Anybody's has any VM's links to download, for practice kernel
> programming?
>
> Well, I am using QEMU system emulator, for it's easier to connect to GDB
> debugging and itself handles bootloader thing. You can set all things up
> by one line parameters, really tidy.
>
> The disadvantage is that I've been told system running in QEMU is slow,
> but for kernel programming that wouldn't be the problem, will it?
>
> What about others?

Depending on what you're working on, you can also use User Mode Linux
(UML) [1] which produces a elf, that you can run easily on top of your
existing linux distro.
Basically, you have to choose the "um" arch when compiling your kernel.

[1] http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/old/UserModeLinux-HOWTO.html

* Free Linux/Ubuntu VMs for Kernal Development?
@ 2017-03-16  4:22     ` Praveen Kumar
From: Praveen Kumar @ 2017-03-16  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello,

A bit confused with "free Linux/Ubuntu VMs".
Do you mean you looking for VM image ( to directly run  your tests )
or an emulator to create VMs locally and play around.

For the first, I have not tried with. Probably vmware images can be found at :
http://www.osboxes.org/vmware-images/

But, if you are looking for emulators, I would say Xen and Virtualbox.
I use them for most of my development for linux kernel related work
items. To start with, I would suggest you to start with Virtualbox.
Its easy to begin w.r.t. configuration, installation and other items.

Link : https://www.virtualbox.org/

Regards,

~Praveen.

@ 2017-03-16 20:41       ` Balaji Barmavat
From: Balaji Barmavat @ 2017-03-16 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thanks All for your inputs, all are useful