* Re: lttng start error
       [not found] <CAFLer81syvApee-LE=azo25Rs6sq=ktH+PCzU9QCWWP0=KE-AA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-05-30 17:14 ` Jérémie Galarneau
       [not found] ` <CA+jJMxsPP1bx0X9ogssHytV==EFX37irBL-NbBoFO0Q0Tx2hcg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jérémie Galarneau @ 2013-05-30 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zheng Da; +Cc: lttng-dev

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Zheng Da <zhengda1936@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just started to use lttng. I use Ubuntu 12.04 and the kernel version
> 3.8.12. I use a customized kernel, so the lttng package in ubuntu
> can't be installed correctly. I built lttng 2.0 myself.

Did you build only the lttng-modules or the complete toolchain
(lttng-tools, lttng-ust, lttng-modules)? Which versions of the
different packages are you using?

Thanks,
Jérémie

> Then I followed the steps in https://lttng.org/quickstart. When I run
> lttng start, I got the errors:
> root@ubuntu:~# lttng start
> PERROR: sendmsg: Bad file descriptor [in lttcomm_send_unix_sock() at
> sessiond-comm.c:311]
> PERROR: send consumer channel: Bad file descriptor [in
> send_kconsumer_session_streams() at main.c:636]
> PERROR: ioctl start session: No buffer space available [in
> kernel_start_session() at kernel.c:397]
> Error: Starting kernel trace failed
>
> Someone said in the mailing list that this problem may have something
> to do with memory limit. But it shouldn't be my case as my machine has
> 512GB memory.
>
> Can anyone help me troubleshoot the problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Da

Jérémie Galarneau
EfficiOS Inc.
http://www.efficios.com

* Re: lttng start error
       [not found] ` <CA+jJMxsPP1bx0X9ogssHytV==EFX37irBL-NbBoFO0Q0Tx2hcg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-05-30 19:05   ` Zheng Da
       [not found]   ` <CAFLer8350iF5bCY=jGJVF0Ps=6LQ1yXnkuk29Dtma-zLCgG5mA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Zheng Da @ 2013-05-30 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémie Galarneau; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hello,

I built lttng-modules-2.0.6, lttng-tools-2.0.5 and lttng-ust-2.0.6.

Best,
Da

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Jérémie Galarneau
<jeremie.galarneau@efficios.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Zheng Da <zhengda1936@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just started to use lttng. I use Ubuntu 12.04 and the kernel version
>> 3.8.12. I use a customized kernel, so the lttng package in ubuntu
>> can't be installed correctly. I built lttng 2.0 myself.
>
> Did you build only the lttng-modules or the complete toolchain
> (lttng-tools, lttng-ust, lttng-modules)? Which versions of the
> different packages are you using?
>
> Thanks,
> Jérémie
>

>> Then I followed the steps in https://lttng.org/quickstart. When I run
>> lttng start, I got the errors:
>> root@ubuntu:~# lttng start
>> PERROR: sendmsg: Bad file descriptor [in lttcomm_send_unix_sock() at
>> sessiond-comm.c:311]
>> PERROR: send consumer channel: Bad file descriptor [in
>> send_kconsumer_session_streams() at main.c:636]
>> PERROR: ioctl start session: No buffer space available [in
>> kernel_start_session() at kernel.c:397]
>> Error: Starting kernel trace failed
>>
>> Someone said in the mailing list that this problem may have something
>> to do with memory limit. But it shouldn't be my case as my machine has
>> 512GB memory.
>>
>> Can anyone help me troubleshoot the problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Da

> Jérémie Galarneau
> EfficiOS Inc.
> http://www.efficios.com

* Re: lttng start error
       [not found]   ` <CAFLer8350iF5bCY=jGJVF0Ps=6LQ1yXnkuk29Dtma-zLCgG5mA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-06-04  2:05     ` Jérémie Galarneau
       [not found]     ` <CA+jJMxsOPpvGA=ELYVZYYRXJtxUPbmGfqHMaLsAt1U7RKzKs0g@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jérémie Galarneau @ 2013-06-04  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zheng Da; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi Zeng,

Just tried the 2.0 release on a Ubuntu-12.04 VM and I could not
reproduce your problem. Any chance you have installed different
versions of LTTng (either built from source or from your package
manager)?

root@ubuntu1204-32:/home/jgalar# sudo lttng create
Spawning a session daemon
Warning: No tracing group detected
Session auto-20130603-220050 created.
Traces will be written in /root/lttng-traces/auto-20130603-220050
root@ubuntu1204-32:/home/jgalar# sudo lttng enable-event -k -a
All kernel events are enabled in channel channel0
root@ubuntu1204-32:/home/jgalar# sudo lttng start
Tracing started for session auto-20130603-220050
root@ubuntu1204-32:/home/jgalar# sudo lttng stop
Tracing stopped for session auto-20130603-220050

That produces a readable trace here.

Regards,
Jérémie

--
Jérémie Galarneau
EfficiOS Inc.

* Re: lttng start error
       [not found]     ` <CA+jJMxsOPpvGA=ELYVZYYRXJtxUPbmGfqHMaLsAt1U7RKzKs0g@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-06-04  2:37       ` Zheng Da
From: Zheng Da @ 2013-06-04  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémie Galarneau; +Cc: lttng-dev

I don't know. I tried with kernel 3.2.30 and didn't get any problems.

Da

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Jérémie Galarneau

* lttng start error
@ 2013-05-30 16:32 Zheng Da