* [uml-devel] X11 vfb forward ported to 3.2
@ 2012-02-15 20:52 Antoine Martin
From: Antoine Martin @ 2012-02-15 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-devel

Whilst I was looking at all the docs and patches that I have for the
wiki/uml website, I found the old x11-fb patch from Gerd Knorr's and
forward ported it to 3.2
Got as far as the point where it builds and shows a window when you
start the kernel with:
./vmlinux x11=800x600
As reported at the time of the original patch, all I get is a black
window... I'll try to see if I can figure out why it's not updating.
Here it is if you want to try it / comment / help:
http://uml.devloop.org.uk/vfb-3.2.patch

Cheers
Antoine

* Re: [uml-devel] X11 vfb forward ported to 3.2
@ 2012-06-21 15:56 ` Will Drewry
From: Will Drewry @ 2012-06-21 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-devel

Antoine Martin <antoine <at> nagafix.co.uk> writes:

> Whilst I was looking at all the docs and patches that I have for the
> wiki/uml website, I found the old x11-fb patch from Gerd Knorr's and
> forward ported it to 3.2
> Got as far as the point where it builds and shows a window when you
> start the kernel with:
> ./vmlinux x11=800x600
> As reported at the time of the original patch, all I get is a black
> window... I'll try to see if I can figure out why it's not updating.
> Here it is if you want to try it / comment / help:
> http://uml.devloop.org.uk/vfb-3.2.patch

I was just playing with this the other evening. I tweaked your/Gerd's patch in a
few places (using it on 3.5.0-rc2), but the main non-porting related change
seems to be in the nopage helper.  It uses pgoff as if it were the virtual
address instead of as a direct offset for the VMA.  Fixing that got me a working
fb.

I've only tested with the test program from here:
  http://cep.xor.aps.anl.gov/software/qt4-x11-4.2.2/qtopiacore-
testingframebuffer.html
which draws a gradient.

Here's the tiny tweak (which is not stylistically correct, etc):

@static int
@x11_fb_vm_nopage(struct vm_area_struct *vma, struct vm_fault *vmf)
@{
->-------int pgnr = (vmf->pgoff - vma->vm_start) >> PAGE_SHIFT;
+>-------unsigned long pgnr = vmf->pgoff;

Not sure if anyone still cares, but if I end up getting it more cleaned up, I'll
post a 3.5 port in a weekend in the near future :)

cheers!
will

* Re: [uml-devel] X11 vfb forward ported to 3.2
@ 2012-06-21 18:26   ` richard -rw- weinberger
From: richard -rw- weinberger @ 2012-06-21 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Drewry; +Cc: user-mode-linux-devel

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Will Drewry <wad@dataspill.org> wrote:
> Not sure if anyone still cares, but if I end up getting it more cleaned up, I'll
> post a 3.5 port in a weekend in the near future :)

Would be great!
If it works and is clean I'll happily merge it upstream. :-)

//richard

* Re: [uml-devel] X11 vfb forward ported to 3.2
@ 2012-06-21 19:45     ` Will Drewry
From: Will Drewry @ 2012-06-21 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-devel

richard -rw- weinberger <richard.weinberger <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Will Drewry <wad <at> dataspill.org> wrote:
> > Not sure if anyone still cares, but if I end up getting it more cleaned up,
I'll
> > post a 3.5 port in a weekend in the near future :)
>
> Would be great!
> If it works and is clean I'll happily merge it upstream.

Cool! I'll clean it up.  So far I also found a use-after-free bug which broke
list traversal (during screen redraw) and moved it from kthread to workqueues.
There are still a lot of pieces which don't make as much sense to me yet, but
once it seems not so crazy, I'll definitely post it for consideration.  I'd love
to see it in!

Cheers,
will

* Re: [uml-devel] X11 vfb forward ported to 3.2
@ 2012-06-21 20:07       ` richard -rw- weinberger
From: richard -rw- weinberger @ 2012-06-21 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Drewry; +Cc: user-mode-linux-devel

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Will Drewry <wad@dataspill.org> wrote:
> Cool! I'll clean it up.  So far I also found a use-after-free bug which broke
> list traversal (during screen redraw) and moved it from kthread to workqueues.
> There are still a lot of pieces which don't make as much sense to me yet, but
> once it seems not so crazy, I'll definitely post it for consideration.  I'd love
> to see it in!

Do you have a git repo where your current work is visible?

//richard

* Re: [uml-devel] X11 vfb forward ported to 3.2
@ 2012-06-22  8:28   ` Ron Yorston
From: Ron Yorston @ 2012-06-22  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-devel

I played with the framebuffer code a few years ago, but haven't
touched it for a while.  My web page about it is still around:

   http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/shmfb/index.html

Ron

* Re: [uml-devel] X11 vfb forward ported to 3.2
@ 2012-06-22 19:26         ` Will Drewry
From: Will Drewry @ 2012-06-22 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: richard -rw- weinberger; +Cc: user-mode-linux-devel

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 3:07 PM, richard -rw- weinberger
<richard.weinberger@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Will Drewry <wad@dataspill.org> wrote:
>> Cool! I'll clean it up.  So far I also found a use-after-free bug which broke
>> list traversal (during screen redraw) and moved it from kthread to workqueues.
>> There are still a lot of pieces which don't make as much sense to me yet, but
>> once it seems not so crazy, I'll definitely post it for consideration.  I'd love
>> to see it in!
>
> Do you have a git repo where your current work is visible?

Not yet, but I'll push a branch (to github) and reply here with the
link.  I'm still trying to prove out input (just realized why the irq
registration failed, etc).

* Re: [uml-devel] X11 vfb forward ported to 3.2
@ 2012-06-23 19:46           ` Will Drewry
From: Will Drewry @ 2012-06-23 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: richard -rw- weinberger; +Cc: user-mode-linux-devel

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Will Drewry <wad@dataspill.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 3:07 PM, richard -rw- weinberger
> <richard.weinberger@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Will Drewry <wad@dataspill.org> wrote:
>>> Cool! I'll clean it up.  So far I also found a use-after-free bug which broke
>>> list traversal (during screen redraw) and moved it from kthread to workqueues.
>>> There are still a lot of pieces which don't make as much sense to me yet, but
>>> once it seems not so crazy, I'll definitely post it for consideration.  I'd love
>>> to see it in!
>>
>> Do you have a git repo where your current work is visible?
>
> Not yet, but I'll push a branch (to github) and reply here with the
> link.  I'm still trying to prove out input (just realized why the irq
> registration failed, etc).

If anyone really wants to follow along, I've pushed up some commits
that boot to a working mouse, keyboard, and fb console using the DSL
image with CONFIG_VT, CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE, CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE
and the normal stdio stuff works iff CONFIG_VT is disabled (in case
you want the fb without it being a console). If not, the dummy console
will clobber.

  https://github.com/redpig/linux/commits/uml_x11_fb

The commits are not cleaned up or rationalized. I need to annotate
that the original work comes from vfb-*/Gerd's patches, as well as
keep cleaning up the code, and split out the commits so that they
aren't one patch-bomb.  I'd also like to get a basic virtual touch
input mode working too, but baby steps for now :)

cheers!
will