* How do I know my UBI/UBIFS code version?
@ 2014-10-10 14:57 Woody Wu
From: Woody Wu @ 2014-10-10 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

I am running ubi/ubifs on a ported ARM linux 3.1.x.  How do I get know my ubi/ubifs version? In additional, if I found the version are too old, could I simply copy a newer version source files to my 3.1 ARM linux tree?

Thanks in advance.

-woody, sent from mobile

* Re: How do I know my UBI/UBIFS code version?
@ 2014-10-10 15:24 ` Steve B
From: Steve B @ 2014-10-10 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Woody Wu; +Cc: linux-mtd

try "ubinfo -a"

I'm no expert, but UBI/UBIF probably has dependencies upon the rest of
the kernel, if the kernel API that it uses have changed then you may
have trouble copying newer files around.

Cheers,
Steve

@ 2014-10-10 15:28 ` Richard Weinberger
From: Richard Weinberger @ 2014-10-10 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Woody Wu; +Cc: linux-mtd

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Woody Wu <narkewoody@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running ubi/ubifs on a ported ARM linux 3.1.x.  How do I get know my ubi/ubifs version? In additional, if I found the version are too old, could I simply copy a newer version source files to my 3.1 ARM linux tree?

Ported in terms of utterly broken by a SoC vendor? ;-)
If your kernel version is v3.1 then also UBI and UBIFS is v3.1 unless
someone messed with it.
To find out you need to consult the changelog.

And no, you cannot simply copy&paste the sources files between kernel
releases as the internal kernel API is
a moving target.

//richard

* Re: How do I know my UBI/UBIFS code version?
@ 2014-10-10 18:38   ` Woody Wu
From: Woody Wu @ 2014-10-10 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Weinberger; +Cc: linux-mtd

On October 10, 2014 11:28:26 PM GMT+08:00, Richard Weinberger <richard.weinberger@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Woody Wu <narkewoody@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am running ubi/ubifs on a ported ARM linux 3.1.x.  How do I get
>know my ubi/ubifs version? In additional, if I found the version are
>too old, could I simply copy a newer version source files to my 3.1 ARM
>linux tree?
>
>Ported in terms of utterly broken by a SoC vendor? ;-)
>If your kernel version is v3.1 then also UBI and UBIFS is v3.1 unless
>someone messed with it.
>To find out you need to consult the changelog.
>
>And no, you cannot simply copy&paste the sources files between kernel
>releases as the internal kernel API is
>a moving target.

'ubinfo -a' returns to me "UBI version: 1" in its first line output.  Does it looks strange to you?  Thanks.

@ 2014-10-10 18:41     ` Richard Weinberger
From: Richard Weinberger @ 2014-10-10 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Woody Wu; +Cc: linux-mtd

Am 10.10.2014 um 20:38 schrieb Woody Wu:

> On October 10, 2014 11:28:26 PM GMT+08:00, Richard Weinberger <richard.weinberger@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Woody Wu <narkewoody@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am running ubi/ubifs on a ported ARM linux 3.1.x.  How do I get
>> know my ubi/ubifs version? In additional, if I found the version are
>> too old, could I simply copy a newer version source files to my 3.1 ARM
>> linux tree?
>>
>> Ported in terms of utterly broken by a SoC vendor? ;-)
>> If your kernel version is v3.1 then also UBI and UBIFS is v3.1 unless
>> someone messed with it.
>> To find out you need to consult the changelog.
>>
>> And no, you cannot simply copy&paste the sources files between kernel
>> releases as the internal kernel API is
>> a moving target.
>
> 'ubinfo -a' returns to me "UBI version: 1" in its first line output.  Does it looks strange to you?  Thanks.

This version is always 1.
If we consider UBI Fastmap at some point rock stable _and_ make it default we'll change this version maybe to 2.

Thanks,
//richard

* Re: How do I know my UBI/UBIFS code version?
@ 2014-10-11  4:39       ` Woody Wu
From: Woody Wu @ 2014-10-11  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Weinberger; +Cc: linux-mtd

On October 11, 2014 2:41:52 AM GMT+08:00, Richard Weinberger <richard@nod.at> wrote:
>Am 10.10.2014 um 20:38 schrieb Woody Wu:
>>

>> On October 10, 2014 11:28:26 PM GMT+08:00, Richard Weinberger
><richard.weinberger@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> know my ubi/ubifs version? In additional, if I found the version are
>>> too old, could I simply copy a newer version source files to my 3.1
>ARM
>>> linux tree?
>>>
>>> Ported in terms of utterly broken by a SoC vendor? ;-)
>>> If your kernel version is v3.1 then also UBI and UBIFS is v3.1
>unless
>>> someone messed with it.
>>> To find out you need to consult the changelog.
>>>
>>> And no, you cannot simply copy&paste the sources files between
>kernel
>>> releases as the internal kernel API is
>>> a moving target.
>>
>> 'ubinfo -a' returns to me "UBI version: 1" in its first line output.
>Does it looks strange to you?  Thanks.
>
>This version is always 1.
>If we consider UBI Fastmap at some point rock stable _and_ make it
>default we'll change this version maybe to 2.

So, back to my original question, how do I know my UBI version? Just '1' in the case?  Thanks.

@ 2014-10-11  9:02         ` Richard Weinberger
From: Richard Weinberger @ 2014-10-11  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Woody Wu; +Cc: linux-mtd

Am 11.10.2014 um 06:39 schrieb Woody Wu:
> So, back to my original question, how do I know my UBI version? Just '1' in the case?  Thanks.

Did you read my first reply?

Thanks,
//richard