* [Buildroot] QT5 and EGL display
@ 2015-12-21 13:55 Leonardo Giordano
From: Leonardo Giordano @ 2015-12-21 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,
Maybe this is not a pure buildroot question, but I couldn't find any help.

I'm using buildroot 2015.11 to cross-compile for an Atmel board.
I enabled QT5, and then mesa3d to enable Qt widgets.

But when I tried to run a simple QT application, I got the following
message:

#./App
Could not open egl display
Aborted
#

Any tips or suggestions?
Best regards,
Leonardo
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] QT5 and EGL display
@ 2015-12-21 14:52 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2015-12-21 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Leonardo Giordano,

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 10:55:43 -0300, Leonardo Giordano wrote:

> Maybe this is not a pure buildroot question, but I couldn't find any help.
>
> I'm using buildroot 2015.11 to cross-compile for an Atmel board.
> I enabled QT5, and then mesa3d to enable Qt widgets.

mesa3d will give a pretty poor performance, because on an Atmel
platform, there is no GPU, so it will be a fully software based
implementation of OpenGL.

> But when I tried to run a simple QT application, I got the following
> message:
>
> #./App
> Could not open egl display
> Aborted
> #

You forgot to enable EGL in mesa3d, probably ?

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] QT5 and EGL display
@ 2015-12-21 15:14   ` Leonardo Giordano
From: Leonardo Giordano @ 2015-12-21 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thanks Thomas for replying. So glad to have an email from you (I have been
reading lots of info you published).

EGL is enabled at mesa3d. Compilation failed but I proceed according to:
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-June/100044.html
and its reply:
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-June/100045.html

Anyway, which would be the best approach for using QT5 on an Atmel board
(no gpu) in your opinion? The applications we usually do, just need a
simple interface (I mean we don't do games or multimedia apps).

Regards,
Leonardo

@ 2015-12-21 21:56     ` Ezequiel Garcia
From: Ezequiel Garcia @ 2015-12-21 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Leonardo,

On 21 December 2015 at 12:14, Leonardo Giordano
<lgiordano@controlnet.com.ar> wrote:
> Thanks Thomas for replying. So glad to have an email from you (I have been
> reading lots of info you published).
>
> EGL is enabled at mesa3d. Compilation failed but I proceed according to:
> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-June/100044.html
> and its reply:
> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-June/100045.html
>
> Anyway, which would be the best approach for using QT5 on an Atmel board (no
> gpu) in your opinion? The applications we usually do, just need a simple
> interface (I mean we don't do games or multimedia apps).

To build a simple 2D UI, you should be able to use the linuxfb Qt5
platform, instead of the eglfs platform.
--
Ezequiel Garc?a, VanguardiaSur
www.vanguardiasur.com.ar

* [Buildroot] QT5 and EGL display
@ 2015-12-21 22:10       ` Leonardo Giordano
From: Leonardo Giordano @ 2015-12-21 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thanks for replying.
Today we enabled linuxfb, and as we are using DRM, according to atmel
website, we had to enable a fb legacy emulation. It seems to work, but I'm
not sure if this is the best approach.
Thanks for support!
Best regards

Enviado desde mi m?vil.
Sent from my mobile.
El dic. 21, 2015 6:56 PM, "Ezequiel Garcia" <ezequiel@vanguardiasur.com.ar>
escribi?:

@ 2015-12-21 22:15         ` Ezequiel Garcia
From: Ezequiel Garcia @ 2015-12-21 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Leonardo,

On 21 December 2015 at 19:10, Leonardo Giordano
<lgiordano@controlnet.com.ar> wrote:
> Thanks for replying.
> Today we enabled linuxfb, and as we are using DRM, according to atmel
> website, we had to enable a fb legacy emulation. It seems to work, but I'm
> not sure if this is the best approach.

Well, as far as I can know, it's the only sane option as there's no
Qt5 platform plugin that can interface into DRM.
It's a quite popular combination to develop simple UIs (we're using
that here for the UI of an industrial equipment).
--

@ 2015-12-21 22:19           ` Leonardo Giordano
From: Leonardo Giordano @ 2015-12-21 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot