* QEMU kernel defconfigs
@ 2018-11-15 17:29 Jon Mason
From: Jon Mason @ 2018-11-15 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto discussion list

I'm having difficulty determining where the kernel defconfigs are
defined and located.  I'm specifically looking for the qemuarm and
qemuarm64 kernel defconfigs.  I've looked at the relevant
documentation, https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.5.1/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html#using-an-in-tree-defconfig-file
and
no SRC_URI with defconfig or KBUILD_DEFCONFIG_KMACHINE defined in
meta/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_4.18.bb

What am I missing?

Also, "A defconfig file is simply a .config renamed to "defconfig"."
is not correct.  A properly created defconfig is created by `make
savedefconfig` and is a minimal file which only has the delta between
the desired config and defaults from the Kconfig files.
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.5.1/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html#creating-a-defconfig-file

Thanks,
Jon

* Re: QEMU kernel defconfigs
@ 2018-11-15 20:08 ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2018-11-15 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Mason, Yocto discussion list

On 2018-11-15 12:29 p.m., Jon Mason wrote:
> I'm having difficulty determining where the kernel defconfigs are
> defined and located.  I'm specifically looking for the qemuarm and
> qemuarm64 kernel defconfigs.  I've looked at the relevant
> documentation, https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.5.1/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html#using-an-in-tree-defconfig-file
> and
> no SRC_URI with defconfig or KBUILD_DEFCONFIG_KMACHINE defined in
> meta/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_4.18.bb
>
> What am I missing?

The reference machines with linux-yocto don't use defconfigs at all.
They are fully assembled from the configuration fragments in the
kernel-cache repo.

You'll see the location of the kernel-cache, and the routines that
gather up the fragments in the linux-yocto* recipes.

The kernel development manual has that detail as well:

https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.5.1/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html#kernel-dev-advanced

Bruce

> Also, "A defconfig file is simply a .config renamed to "defconfig"."
> is not correct.  A properly created defconfig is created by `make
> savedefconfig` and is a minimal file which only has the delta between
> the desired config and defaults from the Kconfig files.
> https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.5.1/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html#creating-a-defconfig-file
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

* Re: QEMU kernel defconfigs