* git loses commits on git pull --rebase with Dictator and Lieutenants Workflow
@ 2015-01-28 19:49 Dick
From: Dick @ 2015-01-28 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi all,

I've encountered a problem with the Dictator and Lieutenants Workflow. I've
configured remote origin so it pulls from the "blessed repository" and
pushes to the "developer public" repository.

When the "blessed repository" has the same branch name as the "developer
public" repository git pull seems to drop commits.

I've create a test script to demonstrate, left is the blessed repository,
right.git is the developer public and right is the developer private
repository.

rm -rf left/ right/ right.git/
git init left
cd left/
echo "hello world" > test.txt
git add test.txt
git commit -m .
cd ..
git clone --bare left right.git
git clone right.git/ right
cd right
git remote set-url origin ../left
git remote set-url origin --push ../right.git
echo "bye world" >> test.txt
git commit -a -m .
git push
git log
echo "start: two commits, ok"
git fetch
git rebase origin/master
git log
echo "manual fetch/rebase: two commits, still ok"
git pull --rebase
git log
echo "pull: one commits, oops?"

Am I using git wrong or is this a git bug?

Thanks for having a look!

Dick