* Update translations in Translation Project
@ 2021-09-01 16:32 Rafael Fontenelle
From: Rafael Fontenelle @ 2021-09-01 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux

Hi there,

Translation Project has util-linux-man domain POT in version 2.37-rc2,
and it seems that a few strings are different from released 2.37.
Please consider updating the POT version on the Translation Project to
avoid losing translation effort.

Best regards,
Rafael Fontenelle

* Re: Update translations in Translation Project
@ 2021-09-01 17:11 ` Mario Blättermann
From: Mario Blättermann @ 2021-09-01 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux

Hello Rafael,

Am Mi., 1. Sept. 2021 um 18:34 Uhr schrieb Rafael Fontenelle
<rafaelff@gnome.org>:

> Hi there,
>
> Translation Project has util-linux-man domain POT in version 2.37-rc2,
> and it seems that a few strings are different from released 2.37.
> Please consider updating the POT version on the Translation Project to
> avoid losing translation effort.

The slightly outdated template at GNU TP will be updated with version
2.38 of util-linux (@Karel, any plans for the next release...?). As
far as I can see, there were not many changes in contents last time
(besides mount.8.adoc); most changes were needed in formatting. I
recommend to keep your current file as is and wait for the next one
from the TP robot.

Regarding the import of the current translations from manpages-l10n:
I'm almost finished with French and Spanish. The Dutch and Polish
files I already sent to the respective mailing lists, but haven't got
an answer yet. Regardless of the presence of the mentioned languages
at the util-linux-man TP domain, I would say we should activate the
man page translations with the next release.

Best Regards,
Mario

* Re: Update translations in Translation Project
@ 2021-09-02 10:55 ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2021-09-02 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael Fontenelle; +Cc: util-linux

On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 01:32:04PM -0300, Rafael Fontenelle wrote:
> Translation Project has util-linux-man domain POT in version 2.37-rc2,
> and it seems that a few strings are different from released 2.37.
> Please consider updating the POT version on the Translation Project to
> avoid losing translation effort.

We usually update TP before a release, and I think it's only time when
it makes sense, because the upstream release is the way how translations are
distributed to downstream/users.

The goal is to keep strings after -rc2 frozen, but sometimes we need
to fix bugs in code ...

We can update TP before maintenance releases too (e.g., v2.37.2) and
wait for translations, but these changes will be lost after the next
upgrade (e.g., v2.38) as upstream work continues in parallel. IMHO
this is really bad idea.

   Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com

* Re: Update translations in Translation Project
@ 2021-09-02 11:02   ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2021-09-02 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Blättermann; +Cc: util-linux

On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 07:11:10PM +0200, Mario Blättermann wrote:
> Hello Rafael,
>
> Am Mi., 1. Sept. 2021 um 18:34 Uhr schrieb Rafael Fontenelle
> <rafaelff@gnome.org>:
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Translation Project has util-linux-man domain POT in version 2.37-rc2,
> > and it seems that a few strings are different from released 2.37.
> > Please consider updating the POT version on the Translation Project to
> > avoid losing translation effort.
> >
> The slightly outdated template at GNU TP will be updated with version
> 2.38 of util-linux (@Karel, any plans for the next release...?).

My wish is to have 4-6 months between releases (ideally 4 months), so
it would be nice to have v2.38 in October.

> Regarding the import of the current translations from manpages-l10n:
> I'm almost finished with French and Spanish. The Dutch and Polish
> files I already sent to the respective mailing lists, but haven't got
> an answer yet. Regardless of the presence of the mentioned languages
> at the util-linux-man TP domain, I would say we should activate the
> man page translations with the next release.

Cool, I'm looking forward to another battle with autotools :-)))

 Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com