* insmod error
@ 2017-02-11 13:28 Madhu K
From: Madhu K @ 2017-02-11 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi All,

I have built a kernel module against a 4.9.2 for arm board. while inserting
this kernel module I am getting below message which is high lighted in red
color what exactly mean loading out-of-tree module. what could be the
possible reason to get this message?

Please help me out to understand below message mean.

ubuntu at ubuntu-armhf:/home/Madhu/i2c$ dmesg
[  704.283100] i2c_client: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
[  704.285359] driver initialization
[  704.285693] inside probe function

Regards,
Madhu
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* insmod error
@ 2017-02-11 13:57 ` Alexander Kapshuk
From: Alexander Kapshuk @ 2017-02-11 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Madhu K <madhu.sk89@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have built a kernel module against a 4.9.2 for arm board. while inserting
> this kernel module I am getting below message which is high lighted in red
> color what exactly mean loading out-of-tree module. what could be the
> possible reason to get this message?
>
> Please help me out to understand below message mean.
>
> ubuntu at ubuntu-armhf:/home/Madhu/i2c$ dmesg
> [  704.283100] i2c_client: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
> [  704.285359] driver initialization
> [  704.285693] inside probe function
>

> Regards,
> Madhu

An 'out-of-tree' message does not indicate an error. It is informing
you that the module being loaded is not a part of the kernel source
tree, but an 'out-of-tree' one, i.e. your custom module whose source
code resides say in your home directory.

To verify your module has been loaded successfully, run 'lsmod | grep
your_module_name' after loading it with 'insmod'.

Hope this helps.

* insmod error
@ 2017-02-11 15:45 ` Aruna Hewapathirane
From: Aruna Hewapathirane @ 2017-02-11 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

<snip>
>> Please help me out to understand below message mean.

>> ubuntu at ubuntu-armhf:/home/Madhu/i2c$ dmesg
>> [  704.283100] i2c_client: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
>> [  704.285359] driver initialization
>> [  704.285693] inside probe function

What you should pay attention to more than worry about the out-of-tree
module is the text immediately following that. Says "taints kernel" right ?
What exactly that means is if you have problems later on with this kernel
and require debugging or community support to identify then resolve a bug
there will be no community support.

When the kernel is tainted, it means that *it is in a state that is not
supported by the community*. Most kernel developers will ignore bug reports
involving tainted kernels, and community members may ask that you correct
the tainting condition before they can proceed with diagnosing problems
related to the kernel. In addition, some debugging functionality and API
calls may be disabled when the kernel is tainted.
[ reference:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/118116/linux-what-is-a-tainted-kernel
]

The primary reason for the *?Tainted: ?* string is to tell kernel debuggers
if this is a clean kernel or if anything unusual has occurred. Tainting is
permanent: even if an offending module is unloaded, the tainted value
remains to indicate that the kernel is not trustworthy.
[ reference:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/tainted-kernels.html?highlight=tainted
]

Looking at your dmesg output you posted your module initialized ok and your
probe was called ok but if shit happens down the road your on your own.
Meaning if you ask for help most folks will ask you to fix the taint issue
before taking a look at your code :)

Hope this helps - Aruna

@ 2017-02-11 16:32   ` Madhu K
From: Madhu K @ 2017-02-11 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Alexander,

Thank you so much for your valuable reply.

yes, you are correct I have kernel-source in home directory and I did not
install modules.

To fix "out-of-tree" one, if I do make modules and modules_install will it
go off?

Thanks,
Madhu

@ 2017-02-11 16:34   ` Madhu K
From: Madhu K @ 2017-02-11 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Aruna,

Thank you so much for your information,

Thanks,
Madhu

@ 2017-02-11 17:36     ` Alexander Kapshuk
From: Alexander Kapshuk @ 2017-02-11 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Madhu K <madhu.sk89@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> Thank you so much for your valuable reply.
>
> yes, you are correct I have kernel-source in home directory and I did not
> install modules.
>
> To fix "out-of-tree" one, if I do make modules and modules_install will it
> go off?
>
> Thanks,
> Madhu
>
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 7:27 PM, Alexander Kapshuk
> <alexander.kapshuk@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Madhu K <madhu.sk89@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I have built a kernel module against a 4.9.2 for arm board. while
>> > inserting
>> > this kernel module I am getting below message which is high lighted in
>> > red
>> > color what exactly mean loading out-of-tree module. what could be the
>> > possible reason to get this message?
>> >
>> > Please help me out to understand below message mean.
>> >
>> > ubuntu at ubuntu-armhf:/home/Madhu/i2c$ dmesg
>> > [  704.283100] i2c_client: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
>> > [  704.285359] driver initialization
>> > [  704.285693] inside probe function
>> >

>> > Regards,
>> > Madhu

>> An 'out-of-tree' message does not indicate an error. It is informing
>> you that the module being loaded is not a part of the kernel source
>> tree, but an 'out-of-tree' one, i.e. your custom module whose source
>> code resides say in your home directory.
>>
>> To verify your module has been loaded successfully, run 'lsmod | grep
>> your_module_name' after loading it with 'insmod'.
>>
>> Hope this helps.

You're welcome.

Please do not top-post.

As I already mentioned, the purpose of the 'loading out-of-tree module
taints kernel' message is to inform the users of the i2c_client driver
that it is not a part of the kernel source tree.
It does not indicate a problem.
So, to the best of my knowledge, the message won't go away.

* Re: insmod error
@ 2006-01-30  9:50         ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2006-01-30  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sarat; +Cc: Arjan van de Ven, linux-kernel

>okay.... i got you but the thing is i dn't know exactly how to convert
>the code.. can any body plz help me..

the use of 'plz' inclines me to think of...

* Re: insmod error
@ 2006-01-30  9:47         ` Arjan van de Ven
From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2006-01-30  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sarat; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 15:13 +0530, sarat wrote:
> okay.... i got you but the thing is i dn't know exactly how to convert
> the code.. can any body plz help me..

there is a lot of documentation and examples on how to write netfilter
modules; there's like 3 dozen of those at minimum, if not more. So I'd
suggest you look at the netfilter homepage and the many examples there.

* Re: insmod error
@ 2006-01-30  9:43       ` sarat
From: sarat @ 2006-01-30  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arjan van de Ven; +Cc: linux-kernel

--
ur's sarat

* Re: insmod error
@ 2006-01-30  8:50     ` Arjan van de Ven
From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2006-01-30  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sarat; +Cc: Fawad Lateef, linux-kernel

@ 2006-01-30  5:11   ` sarat
From: sarat @ 2006-01-30  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fawad Lateef; +Cc: linux-kernel

--
ur's sarat

* Re: insmod error
@ 2006-01-30  5:04 ` Fawad Lateef
From: Fawad Lateef @ 2006-01-30  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sarat; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2006-01-30  4:23 sarat
From: sarat @ 2006-01-30  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

@ 2002-07-25 13:09 Adam Voigt
From: Adam Voigt @ 2002-07-25 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I'm trying to run an "insmod ipt_state.o" to load the IPTABLES State
module and it says:

ipt_state.o: unresolved symbol ip_conntrack_get_Rc5444256
ipt_state.o: unresolved symbol ip_conntrack_module_Rb0361033

IPTables itself works, and is loaded as a module already, and obviously
the Kernel has module support On because iptables works, but for some
reason these won't insert.

I'm running Kernel 2.4.18-5 on Redhat 7.3.

Adam Voigt
adam.voigt@cryptocomm.com