* Re: [Buildroot] Buildroot, S390X, and gobject-introspection build error help
       [not found]   ` <CAFSsvmpxdF3s-OBcPwMJw8Fp=6wGNib+7YddWoWELCKztEVn_Q@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-08-07 12:04     ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2021-08-07 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Duskett; +Cc: Thomas Petazzoni, Alexander Egorenkov, buildroot

Adam, Alexander, All,

On 2021-08-06 09:55 -0700, Adam Duskett spake thusly:
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 2:34 AM Alexander Egorenkov
> <egorenar@linux.ibm.com> wrote:
> > Adam Duskett <aduskett@gmail.com> writes:
> > > My name is Adam Duskett and I maintain the gobject-introspection
> > > package for Buildroot. S390x has never been able to
> > > build the gobject-introspection package and has always failed with the error:
[--SNIP--]
> > buildroot seems to use a very old version of prelink-cross and
> > the error is reported in rtld_determine_tlsoffsets() which has a switch
> > case handling multiple architectures but s390 is missing for some reason
> > and then falls back to the default case.
> Ah! That would explain the issue.
> > Furthermore, this function
> > doesn't exist anymore in the lastest prelink commit. Do you know the
> > reason why buildroot uses such an old version?
> >
> The prelink-cross package comes from the OE/Yocto project,
> and we are using the version that was specified in the
> prelink_git.bb at the time. The latest version in the OE prelink_git.bb file
> is f9975537dbfd9ade0fc813bd5cf5fcbe41753a37 which is also from
> 2018 and still has the rtld.c file. Since the prelink-cross package has
> worked for quite some time, we never needed to update the package.

If I look at the git history (ellided for brevity):

    * 440c005 (HEAD -> master) Add SPDX license headers to all source files
    * dfacd42 Updated email addresses
    *   d89fb60 (master_staging) Merge branch 'cross_prelink'
    |\
    | * f997553 (cross_prelink_staging, cross_prelink) Detect PIE executables w/ COPY relocs, and prevent ru>
    | |       `-> as used by OE core as of today, commit 9159db64d3
    | * bef24e6 Add option to return an error if all binaries cannot be prelinked
    | * 68b79b3 testsuite/order.sh: Make it clear what the error is
    | * 990c806 testsuite/reloc12.sh: Detect if compiler/linker support test
    | * d73bf2e src/arch-mips.c: check info->resolvetls before use its member
    | * a89297f x86_64: allow prelinking of PIE executables with COPY relocs
    | * bd6e69d testsuite/functions.sh: produce deterministic GNU_PRELINK section
    | * 312b2f5 Fix prelink testsuite/unprel1.sh for cross-testing
    | * 265e205 Support copy relocations in .data.rel.ro
    | * d4eabd2 rtld: get machine from undef_map for protected symbols
    | * 53da4ff README: Indicate we now are requring a Signed-off-by line in patches
    * | 1f2b546 Merge branch 'cross_prelink_staging' into master_staging
    |\|
    | * a853a5d prelink: Add RISC-V support
              `-> as used by Buildroot as of today

There are only 10 commits between a853a5d7..f9975537, and only 2
non-code commits on master after the merge.

Adam: would you test that we update the prelink-cross version in
Buildroot? At least updating to the version as used by OE would seem
like the minimal, and then maybe check if we can update to master.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +33 561 099 427 `------------.-------:  X  AGAINST      |  \e/  There is no  |

* Re: [Buildroot] Buildroot, S390X, and gobject-introspection build error help
@ 2021-08-09 16:22       ` Adam Duskett
From: Adam Duskett @ 2021-08-09 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: Thomas Petazzoni, Alexander Egorenkov, buildroot

Hey Yann;

On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 5:04 AM Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> wrote:

> Adam, Alexander, All,
>
> On 2021-08-06 09:55 -0700, Adam Duskett spake thusly:
> > On Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 2:34 AM Alexander Egorenkov
> > <egorenar@linux.ibm.com> wrote:
> [--SNIP--]
> > > buildroot seems to use a very old version of prelink-cross and
> > > the error is reported in rtld_determine_tlsoffsets() which has a switch
> > > case handling multiple architectures but s390 is missing for some reason
> > > and then falls back to the default case.
> > Ah! That would explain the issue.
> > > Furthermore, this function
> > > doesn't exist anymore in the lastest prelink commit. Do you know the
> > > reason why buildroot uses such an old version?
> > >
> > The prelink-cross package comes from the OE/Yocto project,
> > and we are using the version that was specified in the
> > prelink_git.bb at the time. The latest version in the OE prelink_git.bb file
> > is f9975537dbfd9ade0fc813bd5cf5fcbe41753a37 which is also from
> > 2018 and still has the rtld.c file. Since the prelink-cross package has
> > worked for quite some time, we never needed to update the package.
>
> If I look at the git history (ellided for brevity):
>
>     * 440c005 (HEAD -> master) Add SPDX license headers to all source files
>     * dfacd42 Updated email addresses
>     *   d89fb60 (master_staging) Merge branch 'cross_prelink'
>     |\
>     | * f997553 (cross_prelink_staging, cross_prelink) Detect PIE executables w/ COPY relocs, and prevent ru>
>     | |       `-> as used by OE core as of today, commit 9159db64d3
>     | * bef24e6 Add option to return an error if all binaries cannot be prelinked
>     | * 68b79b3 testsuite/order.sh: Make it clear what the error is
>     | * 990c806 testsuite/reloc12.sh: Detect if compiler/linker support test
>     | * d73bf2e src/arch-mips.c: check info->resolvetls before use its member
>     | * a89297f x86_64: allow prelinking of PIE executables with COPY relocs
>     | * bd6e69d testsuite/functions.sh: produce deterministic GNU_PRELINK section
>     | * 312b2f5 Fix prelink testsuite/unprel1.sh for cross-testing
>     | * 265e205 Support copy relocations in .data.rel.ro
>     | * d4eabd2 rtld: get machine from undef_map for protected symbols
>     | * 53da4ff README: Indicate we now are requring a Signed-off-by line in patches
>     * | 1f2b546 Merge branch 'cross_prelink_staging' into master_staging
>     |\|
>     | * a853a5d prelink: Add RISC-V support
>               `-> as used by Buildroot as of today
>
> There are only 10 commits between a853a5d7..f9975537, and only 2
> non-code commits on master after the merge.
>
> Adam: would you test that we update the prelink-cross version in
> Buildroot? At least updating to the version as used by OE would seem
> like the minimal, and then maybe check if we can update to master.

Yes, we can update to the latest in OE.
No, we can't update to the latest in master, as it doesn't build prelink-rtld,
which is super weird.

Adam

@ 2021-08-10 19:16         ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2021-08-10 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Duskett; +Cc: Alexander Egorenkov, Thomas Petazzoni, buildroot

Adam, All,

On 2021-08-09 09:22 -0700, Adam Duskett spake thusly:
> On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 5:04 AM Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> wrote:
[--SNIP--]
> > If I look at the git history (ellided for brevity):
[--SNIP--]
> > There are only 10 commits between a853a5d7..f9975537, and only 2
> > non-code commits on master after the merge.
> >
> > Adam: would you test that we update the prelink-cross version in
> > Buildroot? At least updating to the version as used by OE would seem
> > like the minimal, and then maybe check if we can update to master.
> >
> Yes, we can update to the latest in OE.
> No, we can't update to the latest in master, as it doesn't build prelink-rtld,
> which is super weird.

I have to admit that I did not understand this latest part... So, Had a
look at the history for prelink-cross, and it seems that master is very
close to the old svn tree from before Mark Hatle adopted the
then-orphaned prelink project.

So, the branch that we are interested in for cross-compilation is really
not the master branch, but the cross_prelink branch.