* Xenomai scheduler
@ 2021-02-01  7:47 Leandro Bucci
From: Leandro Bucci @ 2021-02-01  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

hi, I wanted to know how the Xenomai scheduler works. If I assign three
tasks to processor CPU 0 and four tasks to processor CPU 1, is it possible
that the tasks will run simultaneously (one on CPU 0 and one on CPU 1)?

* Re: Xenomai scheduler
@ 2021-02-01  8:11 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2021-02-01  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leandro Bucci, xenomai

On 01.02.21 08:47, Leandro Bucci via Xenomai wrote:
> hi, I wanted to know how the Xenomai scheduler works. If I assign three
> tasks to processor CPU 0 and four tasks to processor CPU 1, is it possible
> that the tasks will run simultaneously (one on CPU 0 and one on CPU 1)?

Yes.

Xenomai does no load balancing, i.e. it does not touch the affinity you
assign - or the one Linux picked during startup if you do not assign
anything.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, T RDA IOT

* Re: Xenomai scheduler
@ 2021-02-01  8:15   ` Leandro Bucci
From: Leandro Bucci @ 2021-02-01  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, xenomai

great thanks for the reply

Il lun 1 feb 2021, 09:11 Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> ha scritto:

> On 01.02.21 08:47, Leandro Bucci via Xenomai wrote:
> > hi, I wanted to know how the Xenomai scheduler works. If I assign three
> > tasks to processor CPU 0 and four tasks to processor CPU 1, is it
> possible
> > that the tasks will run simultaneously (one on CPU 0 and one on CPU 1)?
> >

> Yes.
>
> Xenomai does no load balancing, i.e. it does not touch the affinity you
> assign - or the one Linux picked during startup if you do not assign
> anything.
>
> Jan
>
> --
> Siemens AG, T RDA IOT

* Re: Xenomai scheduler
@ 2020-12-07  6:55 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2020-12-07  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leandro Bucci, xenomai

On 05.12.20 09:22, Leandro Bucci via Xenomai wrote:
> hi, i have a doubt about the Xenomai scheduler.  When I create multiple
> tasks, are they assigned to the various available system CPUs?  if I have
> two tasks T1 and T2, where T1 has high priority and T2 low priority, and my
> system has 4 CPUs, does Xenomai assign T1 and T2 to two different
> processors (to optimize) or does it assign them to the same processor?

Xenomai does not implement any kind of load-balancing algorithm. It
simply takes the CPU the Linux part of the thread was running on during
creation. It furthermore accepts any explicit affinity assignments
during runtime. So it's up to you to design the optimal RT thread
placement for your system.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, T RDA IOT