* Which machine type to use for DaVinci DM6446 and TI816x?
@ 2013-07-09 15:21 Brian Hutchinson
From: Brian Hutchinson @ 2013-07-09 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

I have to support DaVinci DM6446, AM1808, OMAP-L138 and C6A816x which has
turned into TI816x in later silicon releases.

I'm trying to figure out what conf/machine to use for the above SoC's.

In Denzil, I see am389x-evm.conf and c6a816x-evm.conf and both include the
same ti816x.inc file, but I do not see support for this machine in Danny or
Dylan (unless I'm missing something).  How should I go about using Dylan
with the ti816x?

For DaVinci DM6446, I don't see an obvious machine type that supports it
but I know that the DM6446, AM1808 and OMAP-L138 are all in the same ARM926
family (da850) so should I be using the am1808-evm.conf for DaVinci DM6446?

I've always used Arago or Angstrom for DM6446 support in the past and so
I'm not sure which .conf I should be using with meta-ti.  My gut says use
am1808-evm.conf but I thought I should ask to be sure.

Regards,

Brian

* Re: Which machine type to use for DaVinci DM6446 and TI816x?
@ 2013-07-10 16:46 ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2013-07-10 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Hutchinson; +Cc: meta-ti

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 11:21:13AM -0400, Brian Hutchinson wrote:
> Hi,

Hey, Brian,

Long time no see!

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.embedded.yocto.meta-ti/1544

> For DaVinci DM6446, I don't see an obvious machine type that supports it
> but I know that the DM6446, AM1808 and OMAP-L138 are all in the same ARM926
> family (da850) so should I be using the am1808-evm.conf for DaVinci DM6446?

DM6446 is quite different from OMAP-L138. Both AM180x and DA850 are just
derivatives of OMAP-L138.

Anyway, DM6446 is no longer supported, as it's a very old platform.

--
Denys

* Re: Which machine type to use for DaVinci DM6446 and TI816x?
@ 2013-07-10 17:28   ` Brian Hutchinson
From: Brian Hutchinson @ 2013-07-10 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Dmytriyenko; +Cc: meta-ti

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Denys Dmytriyenko <denys@ti.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 11:21:13AM -0400, Brian Hutchinson wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hey, Brian,
>
> Long time no see!
>

> > I have to support DaVinci DM6446, AM1808, OMAP-L138 and C6A816x which has
> > turned into TI816x in later silicon releases.
> >
> > I'm trying to figure out what conf/machine to use for the above SoC's.
> >
> > In Denzil, I see am389x-evm.conf and c6a816x-evm.conf and both include
> the
> > same ti816x.inc file, but I do not see support for this machine in Danny
> or
> > Dylan (unless I'm missing something).  How should I go about using Dylan
> > with the ti816x?
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.embedded.yocto.meta-ti/1544
>

> > For DaVinci DM6446, I don't see an obvious machine type that supports it
> > but I know that the DM6446, AM1808 and OMAP-L138 are all in the same
> ARM926
> > family (da850) so should I be using the am1808-evm.conf for DaVinci
> DM6446?
>
> DM6446 is quite different from OMAP-L138. Both AM180x and DA850 are just
> derivatives of OMAP-L138.
>
> Anyway, DM6446 is no longer supported, as it's a very old platform.
>

> > I've always used Arago or Angstrom for DM6446 support in the past and so
> > I'm not sure which .conf I should be using with meta-ti.  My gut says use
> > am1808-evm.conf but I thought I should ask to be sure.
>
> --
> Denys

Hey Denys,

Wow, I wasn't expecting support to be dropped.  I'm sure there is still a
bunch of people using it.  I guess I could maybe maintain it if someone
would give pointers on how to go about it.

OK, so how about this ... I use the same u-boot and kernel that I'm
currently using (but built with the same toolchain to build the rootfs ...
meta-toolchain) but use am180x-evm to build the rootfs & packages of other
stuff I need?  I mainly need to have the packages kept relatively up to
date (security patches etc.).

Do you see anything wrong with that approach?  Same ABI right?

@ 2013-07-11 18:36     ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2013-07-11 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Hutchinson; +Cc: meta-ti

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 01:28:55PM -0400, Brian Hutchinson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Denys Dmytriyenko <denys@ti.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 11:21:13AM -0400, Brian Hutchinson wrote:
> > > Hi,
> >
> > Hey, Brian,
> >
> > Long time no see!
> >

> > > I have to support DaVinci DM6446, AM1808, OMAP-L138 and C6A816x which has
> > > turned into TI816x in later silicon releases.
> > >
> > > I'm trying to figure out what conf/machine to use for the above SoC's.
> > >
> > > In Denzil, I see am389x-evm.conf and c6a816x-evm.conf and both include
> > the
> > > same ti816x.inc file, but I do not see support for this machine in Danny
> > or
> > > Dylan (unless I'm missing something).  How should I go about using Dylan
> > > with the ti816x?
> >
> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.embedded.yocto.meta-ti/1544
> >

> > > For DaVinci DM6446, I don't see an obvious machine type that supports it
> > > but I know that the DM6446, AM1808 and OMAP-L138 are all in the same
> > ARM926
> > > family (da850) so should I be using the am1808-evm.conf for DaVinci
> > DM6446?
> >
> > DM6446 is quite different from OMAP-L138. Both AM180x and DA850 are just
> > derivatives of OMAP-L138.
> >
> > Anyway, DM6446 is no longer supported, as it's a very old platform.
> >

> > > I've always used Arago or Angstrom for DM6446 support in the past and so
> > > I'm not sure which .conf I should be using with meta-ti.  My gut says use
> > > am1808-evm.conf but I thought I should ask to be sure.
> >
> > --
> > Denys
> >

> Hey Denys,
>
> Wow, I wasn't expecting support to be dropped.  I'm sure there is still a
> bunch of people using it.  I guess I could maybe maintain it if someone
> would give pointers on how to go about it.
>
> OK, so how about this ... I use the same u-boot and kernel that I'm
> currently using (but built with the same toolchain to build the rootfs ...
> meta-toolchain) but use am180x-evm to build the rootfs & packages of other
> stuff I need?  I mainly need to have the packages kept relatively up to
> date (security patches etc.).
>
> Do you see anything wrong with that approach?  Same ABI right?

Brian,

Unfortunately, keeping support in meta-ti is often seen as entitlement to
continuously forward-port features to all the new SW components - u-boot,
kernel, IPC, etc. But that is not true for some platforms, if there are no
development resources allocated to do so. So, some things get dropped due to
limited bandwidth, sorry.

Your suggestion might work and you are welcome to try it out. Please let me
know if you'd be interested in maintaining any of those outdated platforms
going forward. Thanks.

--
Denys

* Re: Which machine type to use for DaVinci DM6446 and TI816x?
@ 2013-07-17 13:07   ` Brian Hutchinson
From: Brian Hutchinson @ 2013-07-17 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Dmytriyenko; +Cc: meta-ti

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Denys Dmytriyenko <denys@ti.com> wrote:

> DM6446 is quite different from OMAP-L138. Both AM180x and DA850 are just
> derivatives of OMAP-L138.
>
> Anyway, DM6446 is no longer supported, as it's a very old platform.
>

> > I've always used Arago or Angstrom for DM6446 support in the past and so
> > I'm not sure which .conf I should be using with meta-ti.  My gut says use
> > am1808-evm.conf but I thought I should ask to be sure.
>
> --
> Denys

So how hard is it to get ti816x machine support moved up into Dylan (or
master)?  I've always had machine support for the branches I used in the
past ... now I find myself needing Dylan or even master and there is no
ti816x support there.

Is it not there just because nobody had hardware to test it?  If so, I'm
game to add it with some guidance :)

@ 2013-07-17 13:14     ` Maupin, Chase
From: Maupin, Chase @ 2013-07-17 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Hutchinson, Dmytriyenko, Denys; +Cc: meta-ti

DM6446 is quite different from OMAP-L138. Both AM180x and DA850 are just
derivatives of OMAP-L138.

Anyway, DM6446 is no longer supported, as it's a very old platform.

> I've always used Arago or Angstrom for DM6446 support in the past and so
> I'm not sure which .conf I should be using with meta-ti.  My gut says use
> am1808-evm.conf but I thought I should ask to be sure.
--
Denys

So how hard is it to get ti816x machine support moved up into Dylan (or master)?  I've always had machine support for the branches I used in the past ... now I find myself needing Dylan or even master and there is no ti816x support there.

Is it not there just because nobody had hardware to test it?  If so, I'm game to add it with some guidance :)

[CEM] Generally not too hard.  You can often start with the old arago machine and move that in with some cleanup.  Then you will need to move/create the bootloader and kernel recipes as well, again looking for cleanup.  That should give you a basic working system.  The main issue is that someone needs to be signed up to keep those recipes working and up to date.  That is what is missing in most cases is a maitainer.

Even better, for you use I would recommend looking at commit c586bd9a66 which is the one that removed these configs and then add back the pieces you need.

@ 2013-07-17 13:25       ` Brian Hutchinson
From: Brian Hutchinson @ 2013-07-17 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maupin, Chase; +Cc: meta-ti

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Maupin, Chase <chase.maupin@ti.com> wrote:

>  ** **

the moment I'm using a custom board based on the ti816x so I don't need
kernel or u-boot (already have those working for the board and since the
kernel for this platform was never mainlined, it doesn't have much churn)
but simply need packages built using all the Cortex-A8 flags.  I guess I
could be lazy and just build for Beagleboard or something since the ABI's
would be the same but I thought I would ask how to go about it the right
way.  Also, there have been several revs of silicon for that part and I'm
about to acquire the most up-to-date EVM so I could add machine support for
that.

I'll check out that commit you mentioned and start coming up to speed on
what is involved.

@ 2013-07-17 14:44         ` Maupin, Chase
From: Maupin, Chase @ 2013-07-17 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Hutchinson; +Cc: meta-ti

DM6446 is quite different from OMAP-L138. Both AM180x and DA850 are just
derivatives of OMAP-L138.

Anyway, DM6446 is no longer supported, as it's a very old platform.

> I've always used Arago or Angstrom for DM6446 support in the past and so
> I'm not sure which .conf I should be using with meta-ti.  My gut says use
> am1808-evm.conf but I thought I should ask to be sure.
--
Denys

So how hard is it to get ti816x machine support moved up into Dylan (or master)?  I've always had machine support for the branches I used in the past ... now I find myself needing Dylan or even master and there is no ti816x support there.

Is it not there just because nobody had hardware to test it?  If so, I'm game to add it with some guidance :)

[CEM] Generally not too hard.  You can often start with the old arago machine and move that in with some cleanup.  Then you will need to move/create the bootloader and kernel recipes as well, again looking for cleanup.  That should give you a basic working system.  The main issue is that someone needs to be signed up to keep those recipes working and up to date.  That is what is missing in most cases is a maitainer.

Even better, for you use I would recommend looking at commit c586bd9a66 which is the one that removed these configs and then add back the pieces you need.

Thanks Chase,  I kind of figured it was a (people) bandwidth problem.  At the moment I'm using a custom board based on the ti816x so I don't need kernel or u-boot (already have those working for the board and since the kernel for this platform was never mainlined, it doesn't have much churn) but simply need packages built using all the Cortex-A8 flags.  I guess I could be lazy and just build for Beagleboard or something since the ABI's would be the same but I thought I would ask how to go about it the right way.  Also, there have been several revs of silicon for that part and I'm about to acquire the most up-to-date EVM so I could add machine support for that.

I'll check out that commit you mentioned and start coming up to speed on what is involved.

[CEM] Sure, ping if you have questions :)

@ 2013-07-17 15:04           ` Brian Hutchinson
From: Brian Hutchinson @ 2013-07-17 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maupin, Chase; +Cc: meta-ti

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Maupin, Chase <chase.maupin@ti.com> wrote:

>  ** **

Will do.  In the mean time ... just to kick the can further down the road
so I can get "something" built so I can try a rootfs for my system ... I
did a fresh clone of yocto master, meta-ti master, and meta-openembedded
master and set machine type to beaglebone.  Bitbake of core-image-minimal
results in:

hutch@neo:~/yocto_master_beaglebone/poky/build$ bitbake core-image-minimal
WARNING: Host distribution "Debian-7.1" has not been validated with this
version of the build system; you may possibly experience unexpected
failures. It is recommended that you use a tested distribution.
ERROR: This recipe does not have the LICENSE field set (ti-hw-bringup-image)
ERROR: This recipe does not have the LICENSE field set (cloud9-gfx-image)
ERROR: This recipe does not have the LICENSE field set (cloud9-image)
ERROR: This recipe does not have the LICENSE field set (cloud9-gnome-image)
ERROR: Unable to parse
/home/hutch/yocto_master_beaglebone/poky/meta-ti/recipes-misc/images/
ti-hw-bringup-image.bb: Exited with "1"

ETA:  --:--:--
ERROR: Command execution failed: Exited with 1

Guess I need to do some searching through the archives to see what this new
LICENSE stuff is all about.

@ 2013-07-17 15:05             ` Brian Hutchinson
From: Brian Hutchinson @ 2013-07-17 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maupin, Chase; +Cc: meta-ti

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Brian Hutchinson <b.hutchman@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Maupin, Chase <chase.maupin@ti.com>wrote:
>
>>  ** **

Ah, forgot BBMASK ... maybe that is it.

* Re: Which machine type to use for DaVinci DM6446 and TI816x?
@ 2013-07-17 15:08               ` Brian Hutchinson
From: Brian Hutchinson @ 2013-07-17 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maupin, Chase; +Cc: meta-ti

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Brian Hutchinson <b.hutchman@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Brian Hutchinson <b.hutchman@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Maupin, Chase <chase.maupin@ti.com>wrote:
>>
>>>  ** **

 Sorry for the noise.

* Re: Which machine type to use for DaVinci DM6446 and TI816x?
@ 2013-07-23 17:28         ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2013-07-23 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Hutchinson; +Cc: meta-ti

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 09:25:37AM -0400, Brian Hutchinson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Maupin, Chase <chase.maupin@ti.com> wrote:
>
> > [CEM] Generally not too hard.  You can often start with the old arago
> > machine and move that in with some cleanup.  Then you will need to
> > move/create the bootloader and kernel recipes as well, again looking for
> > cleanup.  That should give you a basic working system.  The main issue is
> > that someone needs to be signed up to keep those recipes working and up to
> > date.  That is what is missing in most cases is a maitainer.****
>
> Thanks Chase,  I kind of figured it was a (people) bandwidth problem.  At
> the moment I'm using a custom board based on the ti816x so I don't need
> kernel or u-boot (already have those working for the board and since the
> kernel for this platform was never mainlined, it doesn't have much churn)
> but simply need packages built using all the Cortex-A8 flags.  I guess I
> could be lazy and just build for Beagleboard or something since the ABI's
> would be the same but I thought I would ask how to go about it the right
> way.  Also, there have been several revs of silicon for that part and I'm
> about to acquire the most up-to-date EVM so I could add machine support for
> that.
>
> I'll check out that commit you mentioned and start coming up to speed on
> what is involved.

Brian,

So, are you willing to become a maintainer for that platform? I've heard from
several other people in the community before, who expressed interest, but
never came back with the final decision yet... Let me know what you decide.
Thanks.

--
Denys

* Re: Which machine type to use for DaVinci DM6446 and TI816x?
@ 2013-07-23 17:44           ` Brian Hutchinson
From: Brian Hutchinson @ 2013-07-23 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Dmytriyenko; +Cc: meta-ti