* git p4 clone - HEAD + partial history
@ 2015-05-12 19:31 FusionX86
From: FusionX86 @ 2015-05-12 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Git Users

Hello,

I'm migrating my company from Perforce to Git. There is history in
Perforce that goes back to 2006 and I'd like to migrate it with some,
but not all of the history. I'm not having luck so far.

>From what I see, a simple git p4 clone grabs HEAD only. Using @all
grabs all history and is way too much to migrate. I have tried using
//depot/folder@2015/01/01,@all when cloning, but it doesn't grab the
current stuff in HEAD.

Is it possible to grab what is currently in HEAD and the last few
months of history only?

* Re: git p4 clone - HEAD + partial history
@ 2015-05-12 19:55 ` Luke Diamand
From: Luke Diamand @ 2015-05-12 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FusionX86, Git Users

On 12/05/15 20:31, FusionX86 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm migrating my company from Perforce to Git. There is history in
> Perforce that goes back to 2006 and I'd like to migrate it with some,
> but not all of the history. I'm not having luck so far.
>
>  From what I see, a simple git p4 clone grabs HEAD only. Using @all
> grabs all history and is way too much to migrate. I have tried using
> //depot/folder@2015/01/01,@all when cloning, but it doesn't grab the
> current stuff in HEAD.
>
> Is it possible to grab what is currently in HEAD and the last few
> months of history only?

What I've done in the past is just find a commit that's about the right
date, and clone from there.

i.e.

$ git p4 clone //depot/folder/...@12345
$ git p4 sync

The usual problem I have after that is that P4 repos can get very large,
and the process can quite time consuming....

* Re: git p4 clone - HEAD + partial history
@ 2015-05-12 20:23   ` FusionX86
From: FusionX86 @ 2015-05-12 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke Diamand; +Cc: Git Users

Thanks Luke! I'll give that a shot.