* travis: any reason we have keep going on make commands
@ 2020-07-09 14:33 William Roberts
From: William Roberts @ 2020-07-09 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SElinux list, Nicolas Iooss, Stephen Smalley

So Nicolas initially created our travis script in commit c9adfe2d2653
and has -k, or keep going, on the make commands. This causes make to
plow ahead and bury the errors in the logs. Stephen noticed this the
other day, and we have been chatting about it out of band and wanted
to pull in the community.

Are their compelling reasons for keeping this behavior? I am also
concerned that we could get false positives on travis success results.

* Re: travis: any reason we have keep going on make commands
@ 2020-07-09 18:00 ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2020-07-09 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Roberts; +Cc: SElinux list, Nicolas Iooss, Stephen Smalley

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 10:33 AM William Roberts
<bill.c.roberts@gmail.com> wrote:
> So Nicolas initially created our travis script in commit c9adfe2d2653
> and has -k, or keep going, on the make commands. This causes make to
> plow ahead and bury the errors in the logs. Stephen noticed this the
> other day, and we have been chatting about it out of band and wanted
> to pull in the community.
>
> Are their compelling reasons for keeping this behavior? I am also
> concerned that we could get false positives on travis success results.

In my opinion the whole point of automated testing is to catch
failures early and often.  For that reason I would want the test to
fail and stop, both because I find it easier to identify the failure
that way and also because I'm not sure I would trust much of the
testing that occurred after an error condition.

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com

* Re: travis: any reason we have keep going on make commands
@ 2020-07-10  9:08   ` Nicolas Iooss
From: Nicolas Iooss @ 2020-07-10  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Moore, William Roberts; +Cc: SElinux list, Stephen Smalley

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 8:00 PM Paul Moore <paul@paul-moore.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 10:33 AM William Roberts
> <bill.c.roberts@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So Nicolas initially created our travis script in commit c9adfe2d2653
> > and has -k, or keep going, on the make commands. This causes make to
> > plow ahead and bury the errors in the logs. Stephen noticed this the
> > other day, and we have been chatting about it out of band and wanted
> > to pull in the community.
> >
> > Are their compelling reasons for keeping this behavior? I am also
> > concerned that we could get false positives on travis success results.
>
> In my opinion the whole point of automated testing is to catch
> failures early and often.  For that reason I would want the test to
> fail and stop, both because I find it easier to identify the failure
> that way and also because I'm not sure I would trust much of the
> testing that occurred after an error condition.

Hi,
There seems to be some confusion:

* "make -k" does not stop the "make" command at the first error and
allows seeing all the errors when there are several ones. In my humble
opinion, it makes sense when compiling ("make all") and not when
running tests ("make test"), and this is actually what is right now in
Travis-CI. "make -k" returns a failure exit code when an error
happens.

* Travis-CI does not stop the job as soon as a sub-command fails. If I
understand correctly, this is what really bothers William, and I agree
this is a behavior that can be improved. According to
https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/1066, a possible
solution could be to use "set -e", which could have unexpected
side-effects in launched commands. It is possible to "emulate set -e"
by adding exit statements, such as :

    - make install $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS -k || exit $?
    - make install-pywrap $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS -k || exit $?
    - make install-rubywrap $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS -k || exit $?
    # ...
    - make test $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS || exit $?

I have not tested whether this works on Travis-CI, but if it does, it
would be a nice improvement. I will take a look this week-end.

Cheers,
Nicolas

* Re: travis: any reason we have keep going on make commands
@ 2020-07-10 15:22     ` William Roberts
From: William Roberts @ 2020-07-10 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Iooss; +Cc: Paul Moore, SElinux list, Stephen Smalley

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 4:10 AM Nicolas Iooss <nicolas.iooss@m4x.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 8:00 PM Paul Moore <paul@paul-moore.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 10:33 AM William Roberts
> > <bill.c.roberts@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > So Nicolas initially created our travis script in commit c9adfe2d2653
> > > and has -k, or keep going, on the make commands. This causes make to
> > > plow ahead and bury the errors in the logs. Stephen noticed this the
> > > other day, and we have been chatting about it out of band and wanted
> > > to pull in the community.
> > >
> > > Are their compelling reasons for keeping this behavior? I am also
> > > concerned that we could get false positives on travis success results.
> >
> > In my opinion the whole point of automated testing is to catch
> > failures early and often.  For that reason I would want the test to
> > fail and stop, both because I find it easier to identify the failure
> > that way and also because I'm not sure I would trust much of the
> > testing that occurred after an error condition.
> >
> Hi,
> There seems to be some confusion:
>
> * "make -k" does not stop the "make" command at the first error and
> allows seeing all the errors when there are several ones. In my humble
> opinion, it makes sense when compiling ("make all") and not when
> running tests ("make test"), and this is actually what is right now in
> Travis-CI. "make -k" returns a failure exit code when an error
> happens.

Ahh I thought it returned to 0. Not sure why I assumed that.

> * Travis-CI does not stop the job as soon as a sub-command fails. If I

Depends on the stage:
https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/job-lifecycle/
If before_install, install or before_script returns a non-zero exit
code, the build is errored and stops immediately.
If script returns a non-zero exit code, the build is failed, but
continues to run before being marked as failed.

I put a false command in the script section and it kept plowing ahead
as you foretold.

> understand correctly, this is what really bothers William, and I agree
> this is a behavior that can be improved. According to
> https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/1066, a possible
> solution could be to use "set -e", which could have unexpected
> side-effects in launched commands. It is possible to "emulate set -e"
> by adding exit statements, such as :
>
>     - make install $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS -k || exit $?
>     - make install-pywrap $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS -k || exit $?
>     - make install-rubywrap $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS -k || exit $?
>     # ...
>     - make test $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS || exit $?
>
> I have not tested whether this works on Travis-CI, but if it does, it
> would be a nice improvement. I will take a look this week-end.

I think the scripts are more maintainable outside of travis yaml files
as separate build scripts,
for two reasons:
1.  One can just execute the script locally, you can't, AFAIK, do that
with a travis yaml file.
2.  The issue can be avoided as they afford more control. Some other
projects I am a part of we only
     use script and after_failure. The bash scripts are set -e. I also
used this approach for the KVM
     selinux test run.

script:
  - ./.ci/travis.run
after_failure:
  - cat build/test-suite.log

We could adopt like what's above...

@ 2020-07-11 16:56       ` Nicolas Iooss
From: Nicolas Iooss @ 2020-07-11 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Roberts; +Cc: Paul Moore, SElinux list, Stephen Smalley

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 5:23 PM William Roberts
<bill.c.roberts@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 4:10 AM Nicolas Iooss <nicolas.iooss@m4x.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 8:00 PM Paul Moore <paul@paul-moore.com> wrote:

> > > In my opinion the whole point of automated testing is to catch
> > > failures early and often.  For that reason I would want the test to
> > > fail and stop, both because I find it easier to identify the failure
> > > that way and also because I'm not sure I would trust much of the
> > > testing that occurred after an error condition.
> > >
> > Hi,
> > There seems to be some confusion:
> >
> > * "make -k" does not stop the "make" command at the first error and
> > allows seeing all the errors when there are several ones. In my humble
> > opinion, it makes sense when compiling ("make all") and not when
> > running tests ("make test"), and this is actually what is right now in
> > Travis-CI. "make -k" returns a failure exit code when an error
> > happens.
>
> Ahh I thought it returned to 0. Not sure why I assumed that.
>

> > * Travis-CI does not stop the job as soon as a sub-command fails. If I
>
> Depends on the stage:
> https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/job-lifecycle/
> If before_install, install or before_script returns a non-zero exit
> code, the build is errored and stops immediately.
> If script returns a non-zero exit code, the build is failed, but
> continues to run before being marked as failed.
>
> I put a false command in the script section and it kept plowing ahead
> as you foretold.
>
> > understand correctly, this is what really bothers William, and I agree
> > this is a behavior that can be improved. According to
> > https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/1066, a possible
> > solution could be to use "set -e", which could have unexpected
> > side-effects in launched commands. It is possible to "emulate set -e"
> > by adding exit statements, such as :
> >
> >     - make install $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS -k || exit $?
> >     - make install-pywrap $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS -k || exit $?
> >     - make install-rubywrap $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS -k || exit $?
> >     # ...
> >     - make test $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS || exit $?
> >
> > I have not tested whether this works on Travis-CI, but if it does, it
> > would be a nice improvement. I will take a look this week-end.
>
> I think the scripts are more maintainable outside of travis yaml files
> as separate build scripts,
> for two reasons:
> 1.  One can just execute the script locally, you can't, AFAIK, do that
> with a travis yaml file.
> 2.  The issue can be avoided as they afford more control. Some other
> projects I am a part of we only
>      use script and after_failure. The bash scripts are set -e. I also
> used this approach for the KVM
>      selinux test run.
>
> script:
>   - ./.ci/travis.run
> after_failure:
>   - cat build/test-suite.log
>
> We could adopt like what's above...

I did not understand the part about using "cat build/test-suite.log",
but otherwise the idea of putting the commands into a dedicated script
file sounds good, as this allows more flexibility. In order to know
which command failed (and fail as soon as a command fails), I suggest
using "set -e -x" in these scripts.

By the way, about the issue with "make", there is another thing from
your initial message that I understood only after sending my first
reply: a consequence of using "make -k" that can be considered
undesirable is the fact that when an error happens, its message can be
drowned among the flow of other messages. I disagree with removing
"-k" because this would only show one error, instead of all the errors
that occur during a build. Nevertheless it is possible to achieve the
best of both alternatives by using constructions such as:

if ! make install $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS -k ; then
  echo >&2 "Error in make install $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS:"
  make install $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS   # This command shows one error,
at the end of the build logs.
  exit 1
fi

Would such constructions be helpful?

Cheers,
Nicolas

* Re: travis: any reason we have keep going on make commands
@ 2020-07-11 19:28         ` William Roberts
From: William Roberts @ 2020-07-11 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Iooss; +Cc: Paul Moore, SElinux list, Stephen Smalley

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 11:57 AM Nicolas Iooss <nicolas.iooss@m4x.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 5:23 PM William Roberts
> <bill.c.roberts@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > > There seems to be some confusion:
> > >
> > > * "make -k" does not stop the "make" command at the first error and
> > > allows seeing all the errors when there are several ones. In my humble
> > > opinion, it makes sense when compiling ("make all") and not when
> > > running tests ("make test"), and this is actually what is right now in
> > > Travis-CI. "make -k" returns a failure exit code when an error
> > > happens.
> >
> > Ahh I thought it returned to 0. Not sure why I assumed that.
> >

> > > * Travis-CI does not stop the job as soon as a sub-command fails. If I
> >
> > Depends on the stage:
> > https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/job-lifecycle/
> > If before_install, install or before_script returns a non-zero exit
> > code, the build is errored and stops immediately.
> > If script returns a non-zero exit code, the build is failed, but
> > continues to run before being marked as failed.
> >
> > I put a false command in the script section and it kept plowing ahead
> > as you foretold.
> >
> > > understand correctly, this is what really bothers William, and I agree
> > > this is a behavior that can be improved. According to
> > > https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/1066, a possible
> > > solution could be to use "set -e", which could have unexpected
> > > side-effects in launched commands. It is possible to "emulate set -e"
> > > by adding exit statements, such as :
> > >
> > >     - make install $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS -k || exit $?
> > >     - make install-pywrap $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS -k || exit $?
> > >     - make install-rubywrap $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS -k || exit $?
> > >     # ...
> > >     - make test $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS || exit $?
> > >
> > > I have not tested whether this works on Travis-CI, but if it does, it
> > > would be a nice improvement. I will take a look this week-end.
> >
> > I think the scripts are more maintainable outside of travis yaml files
> > as separate build scripts,
> > for two reasons:
> > 1.  One can just execute the script locally, you can't, AFAIK, do that
> > with a travis yaml file.
> > 2.  The issue can be avoided as they afford more control. Some other
> > projects I am a part of we only
> >      use script and after_failure. The bash scripts are set -e. I also
> > used this approach for the KVM
> >      selinux test run.
> >
> > script:
> >   - ./.ci/travis.run
> > after_failure:
> >   - cat build/test-suite.log
> >
> > We could adopt like what's above...
>
> I did not understand the part about using "cat build/test-suite.log",
> but otherwise the idea of putting the commands into a dedicated script

Oh ignore that, that's a particular artifact of using automake's test
log compiler
for my particular project. You won't see that in stdout so on failure to see
the details of each test run I have to do that.

> file sounds good, as this allows more flexibility. In order to know
> which command failed (and fail as soon as a command fails), I suggest
> using "set -e -x" in these scripts.

Yep, exactly.

> By the way, about the issue with "make", there is another thing from
> your initial message that I understood only after sending my first
> reply: a consequence of using "make -k" that can be considered
> undesirable is the fact that when an error happens, its message can be
> drowned among the flow of other messages. I disagree with removing
> "-k" because this would only show one error, instead of all the errors
> that occur during a build. Nevertheless it is possible to achieve the
> best of both alternatives by using constructions such as:
>
> if ! make install $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS -k ; then
>   echo >&2 "Error in make install $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS:"
>   make install $EXPLICIT_MAKE_VARS   # This command shows one error,
> at the end of the build logs.
>   exit 1
> fi
>
> Would such constructions be helpful?

I was thinking initially that -k caused make to return 0 not 1, and
that -k was the
root cause. That's not the case as you pointed out, so I think we can
ignore that
part. I think N errors in a make build are fine, so long as the rest
of it doesn't
attempt to run.

@ 2020-07-13 19:01           ` William Roberts
From: William Roberts @ 2020-07-13 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Iooss; +Cc: Paul Moore, SElinux list, Stephen Smalley

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 2:28 PM William Roberts

FYI I filed a bug on this:
https://github.com/SELinuxProject/selinux/issues/256

So we don't lose this.