* [ath9k-devel] ath9k_htc Stops Responding After Period of Time (at91rm9200 processor)
@ 2014-04-12 20:18 Aaron Hamilton
From: Aaron Hamilton @ 2014-04-12 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

I'm using an ath9k_htc (ZCN-722M/0cf3:9271) as an AP and after several
hours of use, client devices can no longer attach. When everything stops
working, there's no indication whatsoever in the log.

If I restart hostapd, everything seems to work fine for a while, but then
stops working again.

I'm currently using backports-3.12.8-1 with a 2.6.39.4 kernel and a simple
hostapd config (see attached config files).

Am I missing something or should I be using a different version of
something?
* [ath9k-devel] ath9k_htc Stops Responding After Period of Time (at91rm9200 processor)
@ 2014-04-13  3:25 ` Gui Iribarren
From: Gui Iribarren @ 2014-04-13  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 04/12/2014 05:18 PM, Aaron Hamilton wrote:
> I'm using an ath9k_htc (ZCN-722M/0cf3:9271) as an AP and after several
> hours of use, client devices can no longer attach. When everything stops
> working, there's no indication whatsoever in the log.

You might be hitting the 8 clients limit of that hardware+firmware

check out iw wlanX station dump when the issue happens, and see if you
already have 7 clients associated.

cheers!

@ 2014-04-13 19:55   ` Kyle Bassett
From: Kyle Bassett @ 2014-04-13 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi Gui,

Can you elaborate on the 8 clients limit?

@ 2014-04-13 22:53     ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2014-04-13 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

There's only enough space in RAM in the NIC to store state for 8
associated clients.

There's been talk about dumbing down the firmware in the NIC so it
doesn't do much more than be a data conduit and handle basic retries,
so this limit wouldn't be hit. but it'd be a reasonably thorough
rearchitecture of the driver and firmware.

-a

@ 2014-04-14 20:21 ` Aaron Hamilton
From: Aaron Hamilton @ 2014-04-14 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Tried iw wlan0 station dump and it came back with nothing. Also, we
only have three devices configured at the moment to be able to
associate with the AP.  Also, I forgot to attach dmesg previously.
I'm assuming the message "ath: phy0: FATAL Event received, resetting
device" might have something to do with it?

@ 2014-04-14 20:59   ` Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2014-04-14 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Am 14.04.2014 22:21, schrieb Aaron Hamilton:
> Tried iw wlan0 station dump and it came back with nothing. Also, we
> only have three devices configured at the moment to be able to
> associate with the AP.  Also, I forgot to attach dmesg previously.
> I'm assuming the message "ath: phy0: FATAL Event received, resetting
> device" might have something to do with it?

May be firmware related issue.
Please use firmware from latest git and newest wireless code. There are
lots of changes, including patch which will log information about FW oops.

> On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 1:18 PM, Aaron Hamilton
> <aaron@logicdatasystems.net> wrote:
>>
>> I'm using an ath9k_htc (ZCN-722M/0cf3:9271) as an AP and after several hours of use, client devices can no longer attach. When everything stops working, there's no indication whatsoever in the log.
>>
>> If I restart hostapd, everything seems to work fine for a while, but then stops working again.
>>
>> I'm currently using backports-3.12.8-1 with a 2.6.39.4 kernel and a simple hostapd config (see attached config files).
>>
>> Am I missing something or should I be using a different version of something?

Oleksij

* [ath9k-devel] ath9k_htc Stops Responding After Period of Time (at91rm9200 processor)
@ 2014-04-15 19:25     ` Aaron Hamilton
From: Aaron Hamilton @ 2014-04-15 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

I'm currently using the latest firmware from
https://github.com/qca/open-ath9k-htc-firmware, but it appears
backports v3.13.2-1 and newer are missing mac80211 and ath9k_htc
drivers. At least when I do make menuconfig, they are not available?

@ 2014-04-15 19:27       ` Aaron Hamilton
From: Aaron Hamilton @ 2014-04-15 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Scratch that. I just checked backports-20140320 and it allows mac80211
and ath9k_htc to come up.

Aaron Hamilton, BSCE
Logic Data Systems
115 E City Place Dr
Santa Ana, CA 92705

P: 949.892.5263 Ext 201
C: 714.272.5210

www.logicdatasystems.net

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Aaron Hamilton

@ 2014-04-15 19:42         ` Aaron Hamilton
From: Aaron Hamilton @ 2014-04-15 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Looks like both backports-20140320 and 3.14-1 fail to compile with the
error ".../backport-include/linux/compat.h:18 error: expected ';', ','
or ')' before '*' token?  Could this be caused by my kernel config?

Aaron Hamilton, BSCE
Logic Data Systems
115 E City Place Dr
Santa Ana, CA 92705

P: 949.892.5263 Ext 201
C: 714.272.5210

www.logicdatasystems.net

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Aaron Hamilton

@ 2014-04-16  7:22           ` Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2014-04-16  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Am 15.04.2014 21:42, schrieb Aaron Hamilton:
> Looks like both backports-20140320 and 3.14-1 fail to compile with the
> error ".../backport-include/linux/compat.h:18 error: expected ';', ','
> or ')' before '*' token?  Could this be caused by my kernel config?

I can't help you here. take a look at /backport-include/linux/compat.h:18
Or try contact some one from backport team.

Oleksij